• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scrapping Dilemma

CajunQT102

Mouseketeer
I need a little bit of advice...

I don't know if anyone here has experienced something similar to this (I really hope not), but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I went to the World last summer. It was going to be my last trip for a while. We needed to start saving money. Therefore I took thousands of pictures and decided that I would scrap EVERYTHING. This was going to be a project that I would spread over several summers. I am school teacher, so on summer vacation is when I do most of my scrapping. To make a long story short... My husband (who was my travel companion on said disney trip) cheated and walked out on me a month ago. I am trying to pick up the pieces and move on, which is going okay. But with one week left of the school year I am left with a question. Do I continue my scrapping from my 08 trip or do I forget about it and move on? He has hurt me dearly and I don't know if I should take the time to even finish what I have started, but then again I don't want to regret not completing that years book since I have done all previous trips. Please give me your thoughts and advice.

You could do a few different things.

1) scrap as usual, would it be painful or angering to look at the album when done? If you're angry about the whole thing the the pages might reflect that.
2) toss the whole thing, but you did do a lot of work on it.
3) set it aside and scrap something else or take the summer off from scrapping to make new memories to scrap the following summer.
4) rescrap the pages with just you in the pics or pics of the parks in general, again though memories of the trip with H would still linger.
5) take the pics out and reuse the pages for a future trip, minimal waste and using your pages for something you would enjoy looking at.

I assume from your signature that you don't have kids. If you did I would scrap it for them. If not I personally would take the pics out and reuse the pages at a later date.

I'm currently making 2 smaller albums for my BFF who just got a divorce. Her Ex asked for 1/2 the wedding photos, which I already had. I spilt them where I could with duplicates and I am taking her 1/2 to use for albums for their girls. Sticky situation but it was for the best that I had the photos in the first place. Took both the parents out of the middle of it and the girls will get the photos when they get older.

This is hard one to figure out. Before I got married I was with someone for 6 yrs. In that time we went twice with my disabled ds. It has been 5 yrs since and i have gone back and took pictures of him out or cut and repaste the photo so it was just my son and I. I have done this with a lot of scrapping subjects. I also went through all the photos and threw away ones of him that I would not be able to cut (before I used a digital camera days).

Maybe you should wait this summer out on this trip. What has happened is very fresh, so there are a lot of emotions going on. I would give yourself a year and see how you feel. I have learned from a breavement counselor that you should not make any major choices for a year. So give yourself some time before you rip photos or do scrap pictures of your trip with your dh. With time you will be able to see clearer what direction you would go with scrapping this trip.

I have never been in your situation, but I would suggest taking your photos and anything you have for that album and set it aside for a summer. Find a different scrapbook project for this summer... something you can easily finish over the summer. Maybe an "all about me" book. There's lots of great books/websites that can help you with ideas for theme books. Once you are done with that project, and have some distance from your current situation, you can decide if you want to finish your Disney album or just put it aside. Another idea would be to just buy a nice photo album and stick all your photos in it, and not worry about scrapping them. That saves the memories, but doesn't require the journaling and emotional investment a scrapbook would.

Saw your thread earlier and had to go away and think about it. As a person who has an ex, even now decades later, I wouldn't want to scrap those photos although the pain has long since disappeared. They just wouldn't have any interest for me. I like Kim's ideas though. Especially the "all abbout me" book - because you're being given a second chance to discover YOU.

And, speaking about you - if you LOVE some of those Disney photos and a theme emerges in what you've photographed - ie flower & garden show, trash cans of the world, food I loved, Characters I met - you could always do a themed mini album about YOUR trip highlights. Doesn't have to involve the soon to be ex at all.

Kim had a great idea of doing an All About Me album. I think it would a good way to re-focus on yourself.

Putting the Disney album away for the summer sounds good, maybe later on you can rethink about if you want to complete the album with the focus on you and what you enjoyed at WDW. If scrapping the trip later down the road is still too difficult to do, then it may be best to put it behind you and go forward.

I am sorry that you are going thru this heartache. :hug:

Thank you so much everyone who replied. Those are some great ideas that I had not even thought of.

I think you are right, setting this project aside for the summer seems like the best choice for me right now. Everything is still very fresh and I know seeing those pictures right now and revisiting those memories would hurt alot.

Thank you so much for the idea to do an "about me" themed book. I think that is exactly what I need to do. I decided since this has all taken place that I should step back and re-examine who I am as a person. I am getting a total makeover this summer. I want to be a new person and hopefully this new person will bring about more positive energy and positive experiences. I think that this would really help me on my journey to self discovery.

If after this time I feel that I can scrap the trip I might try. If not, I really like the idea of removing the photos and saving the layouts for another trip. This thought had never crossed my mind. I love alot of the layouts that I created thus far and whould hate to see them go to waste.

I guess that we will just have to see how things turn out for me and what I decide. I know that I really like the idea for the "about me" themed album and that sounds like the best summer project to help get my mind off of things.

I knew you ladies would be able to give me the most helpful advice. Thank you so much. I now feel a little excited about my new project. :goodvibes

Keep us posted on how it goes, QT! LOVE to see how the book turns out and hear how your personal journey of rediscovery goes for you! Good Luck!

Saw your thread earlier and had to go away and think about it. As a person who has an ex, even now decades later, I wouldn't want to scrap those photos although the pain has long since disappeared. They just wouldn't have any interest for me. I like Kim's ideas though. Especially the "all abbout me" book - because you're being given a second chance to discover YOU.

And, speaking about you - if you LOVE some of those Disney photos and a theme emerges in what you've photographed - ie flower & garden show, trash cans of the world, food I loved, Characters I met - you could always do a themed mini album about YOUR trip highlights. Doesn't have to involve the soon to be ex at all.

I feel the same way about it. I have never experienced this, fortunately for me but I agree that the you book would be absolutely fantastic! What a great idea! I hope you will share some photos with us. :grouphug:

Thank you so much for the idea to do an "about me" themed book. I think that is exactly what I need to do. I decided since this has all taken place that I should step back and re-examine who I am as a person. I am getting a total makeover this summer. I want to be a new person and hopefully this new person will bring about more positive energy and positive experiences. I think that this would really help me on my journey to self discovery.

I agree with all the above posts about the "About me" themed book. After reading your post I think that would be a great place to start. A Picture of you before and then after your makeover. Then go on to rediscover your-self. I wish you the very best.
I'm sure everyone would agree that you need :grouphug:

First of all...what a weenie! :hug:

Second, I agree with the others, and set it aside.

I was also thinking of suggesting a "Summer Picture of the Day" book. Take a picture every day and then scrap them by weeks in a new scrapbook. It will show you later the funny, normal, strange things that happen to you this summer...

And take care of yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter