Scoping out DVC- booking at Grand California & Aulani at 7 months?

Ashlotte

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I have owned a different timeshare (WorldMark) for ten years and have loved being a timeshare owner. We have been able to trade into DVC properties with WM four times now (through Interval International and RCI), once each at BWV, SSR, OKW, and Aulani (that was like hitting the lottery, I don't expect it to happen again). We were also offered an exchange at Grand Californian that I very foolishly turned downed (we had just been to Disneyland), so I thought if I went back in the queue, it would pop up at a more convenient time... nope! It's been five years and it has never happened again.

Anyway, we loved our stay at Aulani so much. That was our very favorite vacation ever and we would love to return. I am thinking that another RCI trade of WorldMark for Aulani is a serious long shot, so I am considering buying DVC. Realistically, we would be using DVC mostly for Grand Californian and Aulani, since we live in Oregon and only go to WDW once or twice a decade.

I am looking at buying resale into one of the cheaper resorts (Vero Beach?) and then using the points to trade into Aulani or Grand Californian, since their resale points are so much more expensive. Is this a plausible plan, or is it hard to get into those resorts at 7-months?

Thank you!

I am looking at buying resale into one of the cheaper resorts (Vero Beach?) and then using the points to trade into Aulani or Grand Californian, since their resale points are so much more expensive. Is this a plausible plan, or is it hard to get into those resorts at 7-months?

It depends on season, but getting into VGC as a non-owner can be quite difficult, because it is an extremely small resort. It can also be hard in some seasons to get into Aulani. Varies.

Vero Beach dues are also very high compared to many other resorts. Be sure to account for total cost of ownership. Aulani hasn't really hit resale because it is still "live" for sale direct. VGC points haven't lost value because home resort matters a lot there.

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your reply! I guess I'll just stick with my WorldMark ownership and DVC envy. :) Thanks!

Aulani is large and using points from a different DVC resort should always be doable if you are open to various views and possibly villa size. The difficult times so far seem to be early June and Christmas-New Years. I think buying elsewhere to consistently use at Aulani would have very good success as long as you aren't considering the couple of times I mention. But I'm not certain why you think it won't appear thru RCI? Other's will be better versed to comment on that but I'd think DVC would consistently deposit Aulani.

VGC - it is possible to get a room there - most easy is a 1BR. But if you don't own there you generally need to get right on it at 8am at 7 months. Times you would look to go there will vary your success.

I wouldn't buy Vero though - too high of dues that will quickly eat up any upfront savings. But SSR - you might look at that. And that's all assuming you would always use those points to stay Aulani or some other DVC resort. If you think you might trade out of DVC consistently then I wouldn't bother - too expensive.

-- snip --

VGC - it is possible to get a room there - most easy is a 1BR. But if you don't own there you generally need to get right on it at 8am at 7 months. Times you would look to go there will vary your success.

--snip--
And to clarify, that is 8am Eastern time or 5 am for those on the West Coast!

Okay, so Aulani is easy-ish to obtain if it isn't your home resort, but VGC is possible, but with some effort (5 am- yuck!). WorldMark does have a nice, new resort just a few blocks from Disneyland, so that is a good back-up plan, although I have always wanted to stay at VGC.

So, if I wanted to go to Aulani every other year, staying in a one-bedroom with no view, how many points should I buy?

To answer about the RCI trade with Aulani, I had signed up for the waitlist on RCI for Aulani as soon as it was built and in the RCI system. It took three years of sitting on the waitlist for a trade to come through. It really was like striking gold- we ended up in a two-bedroom on the 14th floor, ocean view. It was incredible! I put us back on the waitlist as soon as we came back (a year ago at this point). No hits. Although we did snag a Marriott in Waiohai for this summer (through Interval, not RCI), which is supposed to be nice, so hopefully that will suffice, but, you know... there's no lazy river, Dole whips, or whale sounds when you go underwater. I am thinking that a lot of Aulani owners either trade into a different DVC resort or rent out their points if they aren't using them, rather than going through RCI, but I don't know.

Aulani kind of ruined us for future vacations. It was too wonderful! It's now the bar to which everything is measured, which is not good.

One more question... do you know what resort is the most economical when dues are factored in if it is mostly intended to trade into other DVC resorts? Are there any resorts that are nearly impossible to trade into if it isn't your home resort?

One more question... do you know what resort is the most economical when dues are factored in if it is mostly intended to trade into other DVC resorts? Are there any resorts that are nearly impossible to trade into if it isn't your home resort?

I believe the most economical long term choice is SSR, aka Saratoga.

That being said, I prefer the home resort priority. I may possibly purchase SSR if there is another huge recession for non home resort options.

If idea is to just do reservations 7 months out, the likely resort to purchase via resale at this time is Saratoga Springs Resort. It has a 2054 end date and fairly low annual dues. VB at first glance looks like a bargain but it has a 2042 end date and annual dues that greatly exceed the others and thus the seemingly low resale purchase price will likely be eaten up by the much higher dues rendering it more ecpensive than SSR in the long run. Hilton Head is similar with dues among the highest of the resorts and a 2042 end date. SSR also gives you the certainty that you can get a WDW resort at 11 months out any time of the year you might want to go there including WDW's highest DVC demand times.

As to resorts difficult to get at 7 months, it usually depends on time of year and what room type you are looking for. VGC can have difficulty many times from late May to early January (although if seeking 1BR or 2BR rather than studio chances are often better), and then holiday or special weekends (such as a race weekend) times Jan through much of May can also be a problem. Aulani is especially problematic in June to early July and Christmas time. At other times, the booking category can make the difference in that standard view is usually gone, ocean view is very often open and island garden and pool views are sometimes gone and sometimes not. Hilton Head, for obvious location reasons, has its more difficult time between late May and early Sep although you can at times find 1 or 2BRs open even during that time. Vero Beach is somewhat difficult at times in the summer and hoiidays outside of the summer months.

WDW has essentially two DVC demand seasons. From the Monday after marathon weekend in Jan to late Sep, DVC demand is usually low to moderate. From late Sep through marathon weekend in Jan, it runs high to extremely high. Certain room categories, because of the limited number of rooms and high demand for them, can be gone by 7 months out much of the year: AKV club level and value, BLT standard view, VGF studios (and resulting 2BR lock-offs), BWV standard and boardwalk view studios and 2BRs, BWV Grand Villas, and the OKW Grand Villas in the Hospitality House booking category. SSR is usually open year round except for a risk otherwise around NYE and the weekend during first part of November that has the Wine & Dine half marathon, and its treehouses and GVs can disappear before 7 months out at some other times during that last quarter of the year. AKV savanna and standard view and OKW are usually open most of the year but there is some risk for a couple nights being missing here and there during some extremely high demand times in that last quarter -- Columbus Day weekend through about two weekends thereafter, the Wine & Dine race weekend in Nov, The Tues to Fri of Thanksgiving week, first two weeks of Dec, Christmas week, and marathon weekend in Jan.

VWL, BWV pool/garden view, BWV standard and boardwlak view 1BRs, BLT lake view, VGF 1 and 2 BRs, and Poly, are usually open mid-Jan to late Sep, BCV and BLT theme park are also open often during that time. As to the high demand quarter, VWL is usually gone from Thanskgiving week to marathon weekend in Jan but from late Sep to just before Thanksgiving week, it can have days missing during the extremely high demand times but often be open other times. The same applies to VGF 2BRs. BLT, BWV, and BCV are very often gone multiple days a week from early Oct to marathon weekend in Jan, although 1BRs are sometimes available and if you act quickly (exactly 7 months out at 8 a.m. on line) you can possibly get late Sep into very early Oct sometimes. VGF 1BRs are also often gone during that last quarter of the year but sometimes you can find multiple days in a row. Poly is still an unknown for 7 months out for during the last quarter of the year but it appears studios will usually be open although you may have to act quickly at 7 months out to have a chance; it also appears the high point cost bungalows are likely to be available 7 months out year round.

Hi,
I have owned a different timeshare (WorldMark) for ten years and have loved being a timeshare owner. We have been able to trade into DVC properties with WM four times now (through Interval International and RCI), once each at BWV, SSR, OKW, and Aulani (that was like hitting the lottery, I don't expect it to happen again). We were also offered an exchange at Grand Californian that I very foolishly turned downed (we had just been to Disneyland), so I thought if I went back in the queue, it would pop up at a more convenient time... nope! It's been five years and it has never happened again.

Anyway, we loved our stay at Aulani so much. That was our very favorite vacation ever and we would love to return. I am thinking that another RCI trade of WorldMark for Aulani is a serious long shot, so I am considering buying DVC. Realistically, we would be using DVC mostly for Grand Californian and Aulani, since we live in Oregon and only go to WDW once or twice a decade.

Thank you!
If you truly want to go to Aulani regularly, I'd suggest you buy there and find an older subsidized contract. While it's a nice resort, I don't think it's worth buying in to DVC for that option though. If HI is your goal and you feel you need more thank you have with WM, you might consider a Marriott HI week at say Ko Olina and use it and/or trade it to other HI Marriott's.

In general, I think there is a solid argument that even with the Aulani and VGC properties in the west, and HHI and VB in the east, DVC is primarily a plan for those who want to travel to Disney World.

In general, I think there is a solid argument that even with the Aulani and VGC properties in the west, and HHI and VB in the east, DVC is primarily a plan for those who want to travel to Disney World.
Other than for those that want DL and can plan exactly at 11 months out, I think there are cheaper AND better options for all of the other locations or types of locations. IMO those options are best for those that want a mix of WDW and/or DL plus some of the other options but don't need enough volume to make a non DVC timeshare a reasonable option. There are better options for HI overall, for HHI and as good or better for the FL coast. It just takes a week a year not at a park to make a non DVC option viable. And for many that can't justify both a non DVC option is better overall. Often it's less of a compromise to use another timeshare option and forego DVC than to try to make DVC work for other options.

With DVC do you have to travel for a certain length of time? With WorldMark you have to book seven nights if you are booking at the beginning of the booking window. Do you have a housekeeping charge on top of the maintenance fees? Could I just book two or three night in theory with no negative repercussions?

With DVC do you have to travel for a certain length of time? With WorldMark you have to book seven nights if you are booking at the beginning of the booking window. Do you have a housekeeping charge on top of the maintenance fees? Could I just book two or three night in theory with no negative repercussions?

DVC is nightly for any length of time you wish. They are allowed to set up minimums but so far have not and no real reason to think they will any time soon, if ever.

Housekeeping for the below schedule is included in maintenance fees. If you wanted it more frequently then you would pay:

For stays 7 nights or fewer you will receive Trash and Towel service on day 4. For stays of 8 or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day 4 and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 8.

These are the charges if you wish to have more frequent housekeeping:

"Additional Housekeeping Service Daily Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $30 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $45 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $60 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $75 per day requested
Additional Trash & Towel Service Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $15 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $20 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $25 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $35 per day requested"

Last edited:

No housekeeping charge, you could book 20 one-night stays and not pay anything more than someone booking one 20 days stay.

Thank you! You've all been very helpful! :) At this point, I am crunching the numbers, comparing WorldMark to DVC. Obviously DVC is much, much nicer, but in terms of room to spread out, they are similar. Taking the buy in cost out of it and just using the maintenance fees to look at weekly rates (using SSR's fees, since that's probably what I would buy), it looks like a studio for a week at Aulani (when the fees are converted to cash) would run $685.32 to $1,178.72, depending on the view and season and a one-bedroom would run $1,370.65 to $2,360.57. A week at GCV in a one-bedroom would run $1,278.19 to $2,512.86. These are all very reasonable. However, my WM dues are cheaper to the point that DVC doesn't seem like a good alternative, at least at Disneyland (even though the DVC product is far superior, I know we are not comparing apples to apples). A week at the WM Anaheim (a mile or so from the park) in a one-bedroom is $858 in dues and a two-bedroom would be $1,056 for a week. That difference is almost the cost of the park tickets, so I'd rather stay somewhere less nice, but go more often.

I wish these numbers were closer, so I could justify the purchase!! :sad1: I am still tempted to do it just for Aulani. I know that trading WM through RCI to other resorts in Hawaii (Marriotts) is a great, and affordable option (we are going to Marriott Waiohai this summer- it cost $660 in dues + the $200 exchange fee for a week in a two-bedroom), but nothing compares to the Aulani lazy river! :fish: We've been spoiled for life. Nothing else will measure up. :worship:

So far with our WDW trips we were successful in securing II/RCI trades into WDW. I'm not sure if those were really low seasons, though (mid-May and end of August), or if that pattern would continue in the future.

Thanks again. I haven't taken the idea completely off the table, but it's good to know what I'm looking at exactly.

On a side note, if I wanted to rent a few nights at Aulani, is there a reputable company that I could go through, or do people mostly do private rentals?

Oh, one more question.... Can DVC change the amount of points required for a certain room once it is set? If 300 points was enough for my family for a certain size room, could they change the requirement down the road to make it 500 points, or does it stay at the same level? Thanks!

No housekeeping charge, you could book 20 one-night stays and not pay anything more than someone booking one 20 days stay.

That is awesome!! With WorldMark you get one housekeeping token for each 10,000 points you own (basically a week's worth of points). Any stays after the first one and you have to pay $85 in housekeeping.

Oh, one more question.... Can DVC change the amount of points required for a certain room once it is set? If 300 points was enough for my family for a certain size room, could they change the requirement down the road to make it 500 points, or does it stay at the same level? Thanks!

They can do point reallocations but the simple explanation is that the resort point totals must stay the same, so if something goes up somewhere it must go down somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter