• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooters and wheelchairs

OurFamilyof5

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are planning our trip in about 3 weeks, but just found out that my mom needs surgery. She told the doc about the trip and he said if she wanted to go ahead with the surgery, he could "prescribe her with a scooter" for the trip. Not sure what he meant by prescribed, but how does getting a scooter/wheelchair while down at Disney work? We definitely can't transport a scooter with us, so what will we do to get one when we are down there? Will we need something from the doc? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

If you check out the stickies at the top of the page there is information about renting an ECv (scooter). No doctors note is needed. You can rent from an offsite company which is cheaper and you have it at the hotel but have to transport it on buses or via car back and forth to the hotel, or rent from Disney at the parks, more expensive and you run the risk of them running out.

Why can't you take one with you? If you are flying, the scooter can be driven up to the plane and gate checked for free. That way you have it in the airport, too. Often, you can rent one from home much cheaper than you can at WDW.

Many of them disassemble for transport in a vehicle (the only problem there would be a large group of people with lots of luggage and a small vehicle.)

Do read the FAQs at the top of this board for a lot of information!

Hello! We are planning our trip in about 3 weeks, but just found out that my mom needs surgery. She told the doc about the trip and he said if she wanted to go ahead with the surgery, he could "prescribe her with a scooter" for the trip. Not sure what he meant by prescribed, but how does getting a scooter/wheelchair while down at Disney work? We definitely can't transport a scooter with us, so what will we do to get one when we are down there? Will we need something from the doc? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

He can prescribe her a scooter which means that depending on your medical insurance, they may pick up the costs of the rental. It has nothing to do with Disney.

If staying on site all disney owned buses can take wheelchairs and scooters the monorail and most of the boats can take wheelchairs and scooters.

for buses

you board through the back door via ramp or a lift most likely a ramp you go on the driver will tie you down. most of the drivers will help park it but their not allowed to touch the chair. then they will untie the chair and lower the ramp and help you exit when you get to the park/resort.

for monorail

a cm will put a ramp to board you drive on and let the cm know which stop you want then you enjoy your trip and when you want to exit they will put the ramp back up and you exit.

Piper said:
Why can't you take one with you? If you are flying, the scooter can be driven up to the plane and gate checked for free. That way you have it in the airport, too. Often, you can rent one from home much cheaper than you can at WDW.

Many of them disassemble for transport in a vehicle (the only problem there would be a large group of people with lots of luggage and a small vehicle.)

Do read the FAQs at the top of this board for a lot of information!

I'm not sure about how you travel, but when you drive and pack for a family, especially a child, you are lucky (or at least we are) to get all our bags in the car, much less a big scooter
... The trip home is even more tricky!!

lost*in*cyberspace said:
He can prescribe her a scooter which means that depending on your medical insurance, they may pick up the costs of the rental. It has nothing to do with Disney.

Ahh...insurance costs!! Yeah didn't think it was Disney related, just didn't know how you would 'prescribe' a scooter, lol ;)

Gracie09 said:
If you check out the stickies at the top of the page there is information about renting an ECv (scooter). No doctors note is needed. You can rent from an offsite company which is cheaper and you have it at the hotel but have to transport it on buses or via car back and forth to the hotel, or rent from Disney at the parks, more expensive and you run the risk of them running out.

Thank you! I thought I read the stickies and thought I just saw stuff on dining and stuff, guess I should have read more carefully :/ I will go back and read, thank you so much!!

Thank you! I thought I read the stickies and thought I just saw stuff on dining and stuff, guess I should have read more carefully :/ I will go back and read, thank you so much!!
What you are looking for is in post 2 of that thread.

Whether or not insurance will pay is going to depend on her insurance. In some cases they will only pay for equipment needed at home.
You do need a prescription to even submit it to insurance though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter