• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

???Scooter

lizanne

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on the boards for a long time. Since 2008 my DH has to walk with a cane and will need a scooter to get through the parks - he did not want to do that so we just didn't go.

Well, now we have a grandson and he can't wait to take him to WDW. We are going in May. From the info I gathered it's wise to rent a scooter prior to the trip. My DH's concern is getting to the parks with the scooter, then from the parking lot to the entrance. We will drive there so we'll have a car. Will the scooter fit in the back of a Saturn Vue without having to be taken apart. He gets agitated (frustrated) rather easily (he had a stroke) and I'm looking for the best way to travel.

I'm grateful for any information.

BA

I don't have any firsthand information for you, but I wanted to say that his fears and worries over getting it into your vehicle, then from the parking lot to the entrances, are probably not necessary. There are literally dozens of guests each day who make this trek to every park there, I'm sure there's a do-able way!!

I think it's awesome you two are taking your grandson, what a magical time it will be, and no doubt, with a scooter vs. a cane or walker---your dh is sure to be able to enjoy himself much more! I hope you have a fantastic time!!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including in Post #2 where people rent ECVs. And Post #5 about cars and ECVs

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

Thanks. I actually read that information before posting. It talks about putting it in a car and that you have to unassemble, then reassemble.

A Saturn Vue is a small SUV and I was wondering if it would fit as is. I'm just trying to avoid a stressful situation for my DH. We're arriving two days before my son, daughter-in-law and grandson so I guess I can practice to get it right before they get there. I don't think we'll go to the parks before that.

I guess I can call a rental place and ask them.

Thanks again.

We had a Saturn Vue until March 2012. We were not able to get DD's manual wheelchair in the back without taking it apart, so I doubt you could get an ECV in without taking it apart.

The 3 issues I can see are:
- the ECV would be too tall
- the lift in would be pretty high
- the ECV would be too heavy and unwieldy to lift that high, even if it would fit

you can rent off site and request a scooter you can put in your car... then you have it from your room to each park and you can take them on the WDW buses as well. it is a long hike from buses stops to entrance of all parks if one has walking problems. and it is all up and down small hills and bricks. Apple scooter is a good one to rent from but can get a list from WDW as well as ther eis others just to me Apple was cheapest.

My Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus, is one of the smallest and lightest scooters out there. It still weighs about 115lbs when fully put together. This scooter does break down very easily and is put back together quickly once you do it once or twice. It comes apart into 4 pieces with the heaviest piece being about 35lbs. If there are 2 of you to do the lifting, it is possible to just remove the seat and battery and lower the tiller and put it into the vehicle, but that is still around 60-70 lbs to lift.

You can search the internet for videos on taking the scooters apart. I rented the go-go 4 wheel for my sister and watched the videos before I went. That helped along with the directions that were with the scooter when we picked it up.

You can search the internet for videos on taking the scooters apart. I rented the go-go 4 wheel for my sister and watched the videos before I went. That helped along with the directions that were with the scooter when we picked it up.
Yes - and some of the rental companies even have the instruction videos on their websites.
If not, look at the ones they rent and then search for videos of that brand and model.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter