scooter tips and etiquette?

OK, a few answers and 1 tip. You can get a scooter that breaks down for transport. We rented one once from Gold Mobility-I forget the model, I think it's the least expensive. We also had a mid-size SUV, which was fine for fitting it. It wasn't too heavy, but after taking it in/out, setting up breaking down, several times a day, your arms can get a little sore. If you get that model, the extra basket is fine, but the next model up (Pride Victory?) is too long for it, definitely on buses, often on elevators also.
If you faithfully recharge your battery every night, you probably won't ever need to recharge in the parks. But in case you want to, most restrooms have electric plugs near the exit. Make sure you position your scooter facing out-better view and aroma! Also, Connections Cafe has some randomly placed outlets, also in Animal Kingdom on the wall as you exit the Finding Nemo show. In Magic Kingdom, although there are outlets in the artificial tree trunks by the Tangled Restrooms, every time I go, they're all in use. Or you can simply "scoot" up to a friendly-looking" CM (I recommend a "suit"-they tend to have been around the parks more) and ask where there's an outlet to charge your scooter.
Tip-"All scooters look alike". While you're on a ride, CMs have this very nice, but very annoying habit of tidying up the scooters, which means that yours will undoubtedly be nowhere near where it was when you return. Be sure your scooter is marked with something to identify it as yours-a ribbon, scarf, or bandana tied around the handle. Boy, do I feel better when I come off a ride and identify mine, the one with the pink bandana (now, if someone else uses a pink bandana some day, we're in trouble!) I've also found another plus with that is that sometimes a nice CM will say "Oh, Ma'am let me get your scooter for you". I guess it's because I'm often solo. It really helps to be able to say "Mine is the one over there with the pink bandana. Because otherwise-all scooters look alike.
Have fun!

I have some questions for all of you..... The last time we were at WDW, I rented a scooter in the park due to my bad knee.

My knee has gotten worse and I plan on getting a scooter again for this trip. (I'd never make it from the parking lot to the TTT without my knee giving me a ton of pain - and I'd be miserable the rest of the day.) So I was planning on renting a scooter so I had it the entire trip vs just getting one at the parks for this reason.

The more I think about doing this, the more questions come up.

We drive back and forth on our own to the parks. Ever since the kids were little we did this so we didn't have to wait for the bus transport. It was and is just easier for us to do this. - and we'll do it again this trip. (I have an AP so parking costs are covered - so that's another reason we just drive ourselves)

1.) Do the scooters come apart to load them into a vehicle? We'll probably be getting a minivan or a larger SUV to rent for our entire trip. How do you transport them back and forth? Can we get a ramp or something to make it easier to get it in and out of the vehicle? (And if so, would that be from the scooter place or the car rental company?)

2.) Battery life: How long does the battery last before you have to recharge it? Not that I'm going to be zipping around at top speed, but I'm a sightly Pooh-sized gal and I know the more weight on the scooter, the more the battery has to work. Thus draining it quicker.

3.) Are there places in the parks where you can charge them if needed? I've always rented a scooter right from Disney so I never had to worry about this. Then again, I've used them at the parks and never had to worry about charging. If it would have died in the park, I'm AT the park so they could just swap it out.

4.) Did you get any "add-ons" for your scooter that you are glad you did or were there things you did, but wish you didn't? (canopy, basket, cover for the electronics)

What other things should I know, or are there other tips you can pass along?

Thanks in advance!
~D
Gold rents 2 scooters which can be broken down for transport in a.private vehicle. The Pride GoGo is the smaller of the 2. It's good for guests who weigh up to 200 lbs. It can be used by guests up to 250 but battery life is reduced.

The Victory is bigger and heavier. It's good for guests who weigh 300 but heavier guests will have a reduced battery life.

SKIP THE REAR BASKET.

The seat lifts off. You remove the battery. Lower the tiller. Guests with a SUV and strong helpers can load the 3 pieces. Otherwise the main piece can be broken down more

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLnj61dmicy3vxc1kKFtwmw/videos

Gold videos. Short videos showing how to assemble and dissassemble scooters.

Gold rents 2 scooters which can be broken down for transport in a.private vehicle. The Pride GoGo is the smaller of the 2. It's good for guests who weigh up to 200 lbs. It can be used by guests up to 250 but battery life is reduced.

The Victory is bigger and heavier. It's good for guests who weigh 300 but heavier guests will have a reduced battery life.

SKIP THE REAR BASKET.

The seat lifts off. You remove the battery. Lower the tiller. Guests with a SUV and strong helpers can load the 3 pieces. Otherwise the main piece can be broken down more

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLnj61dmicy3vxc1kKFtwmw/videos

Gold videos. Short videos showing how to assemble and dissassemble scooters.
Yes, that's the model-the Go Go, that we rented. Specifically it's the GoGo Sport. Good description!

OP, I have rented in the parks one time. Like you, I had never had to rent one for years.
I will give you another picture of renting at the parks. We rented at the park entrance each day and never had a problem. We always rope dropped. The scooters were big but they were fine. I think that they updated them and replaced the old ones? We always went to another park later in the day and had no trouble renting one.
That was a few years ago however.

Now, I would rent from Gold Mobility, as they have an excellent record.
But I would hate going on the bus with one, that's the only drawback for me.

...But I would hate going on the bus with one, that's the only drawback for me.

This information is from my famously infamous "How to ECV at WDW" post, and I'm only going to copy and paste the part about buses here.

°O° °o° °o° °o° °O° °o° °o° °o° °O°

Mostly it's all about the buses (and boats, and Monorail and Skyliners too, for that matter.)

When we talk about using the "brakes" on an ECV, what we really mean is letting go of the throttle. The vast majority of ECVs in the US don't have an actual braking system (like a car or truck has) and rely strictly on the driver of the ECV to be aware, and to let go of the throttle when they need to stop. Additionally, most ECVs that you will encounter have a speed control that goes from slowest to fastest, with a small icon of a turtle for slowest, and a rabbit for fastest. We often talk about "turtle speed" here, and that means turning your speed control all the way down to the slowest setting for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Let's get on the bus!

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be staring at us, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver. 🙂

And some of them are just flat out exhausted, and staring off into space, unaware that they are looking at anything at all!

So, ignore them - and at the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus, or shake my head "no" so that they know I am waiting for a different bus. Some Disney Resorts have queues or rope lines set up for the buses; others just kind of form loose lines. Often in the mornings, there will be a CM at the main Resort bus stops; just as at the Parks, take your guidance from them. (Special note for Resorts with more than 1 bus stop: Try to make your way to the *first* stop at the Resort; as the bus travels through the Resort to pick up other Guests, the chances increase exponentially that there will not be a space for your ECV when the bus arrives, leading to longer wait times.)

Once the bus stops, and everyone is off, the driver will typically close the doors, kneel the bus (lower it), and then open the back doors and flip out the ramp. Wait for the driver to motion you on, and then up the ramp you will go.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help and guidance that they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine! Disney bus drivers help *thousands* of people load and unload ECVs, so you are not a surprise to them in any way!

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. (This is a moment where "turtle speed" is your new best friend!) Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to bump into the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will hear stories about drivers that "park the ECV for you", but that is considered "pixie dust" and is not expected behavior.

Once you are parked, you can take a seat on the bus, if you want to. The bus driver will "tie down" the ECV, by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on the ECV during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

With buses, you will typically board first, and disembark last. Ignore anyone who says anything about how "it must be nice to get on the bus first"; if you really feel the need to reply, just give them your biggest smile, and a big 'ol southern "Oh, bless your heart!". That's all they deserve. 😉

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

While you are boarding the bus, the rest of your group will wait outside the bus, next to the ramp. Once the ECV is parked on the bus, the driver will indicate to your party when they can walk up the ramp to join you, and they should be able to sit near/next to you.

When it's time to disembark from the bus, the rest of your party can get off the bus with all of the other passengers, and they will wait for you outside the bus (or wherever you have agreed upon). Again, the driver will assist you in getting the ECV positioned to drive down the ramp, and out of the bus; listen to their instructions, and you should be fine. 🙂 When driving off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are completely on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want the rear wheels to catch the edge of the ramp if you turn too early, and tip you over!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

As far as boats go, *most* boats at WDW are quite accessible; the notable exceptions are some of the small launches that serve Poly/GF to MK and back, and a small launch that runs every other trip on the WL/MK route. At WL, the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board/disembark to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on. (Pro tip: DON'T LOOK DOWN as you pass over the gap 😂 ) All other boats will have a portable ramp that a CM (Cast Member) will place for you, including the Sassagoula fleet that serves Saratoga & The Treehouses/OKW/POR & POFQ, and the Disney Springs Water Taxis (which are the same type of boat, but have not returned to service since pandemic closings.) The Friendships that ply the waters between Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at EPCOT use the exact same ramp as well. The ramps are *noisy* when driving on and off, but quite safe, I promise! The main thing to watch for here is using "turtle speed" coming *off* the boat - if there is no fencing around the dock, you don't want to make a BIG "splash" in more ways than one!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Monorails use the same portable ramp for loading/unloading as the boats use, and the worst part is some of the pedestrian ramps going *up* to the Monorail stations may really tax the battery on the ECV. A CM will place the portable ramp into the Monorail for you - just follow their instructions. Most of the time, you will have to back off down the ramp at the next station. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, (CMs are used to doing this, and will be glad to help you) and take your time for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Skyliners are VERY accessible, and the gondola cabins are a direct drive on, no ramp needed. CMs will "chock" the ECV wheels to prevent it from rolling across the cabin while in flight. The user simply rolls straight in and sits between the benches. Follow the signs and CM directions at each Skyliner station to go to the HA loading area - they fully stop the gondolas to load there, and you can take all the time you need for both loading and unloading. The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving. There is not a pull-off loading/unloading area at Riviera that other Skyliner stations have, but the Skyliner cars slow to a crawl while going through the Riviera station - so if you feel like you can drive on board, or back off the Skyliner while it is moving, Riviera is no problem.

Only 1 ECV (or personal mobility device of any kind) per Skyliner Cabin, so be prepared to split up here if you have a larger party, or more than one mobility device in your group; just make plans for where everyone will meet!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed on the throttle control, and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety. They are all experienced in helping Guests with their mobility devices.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

There's a lot more info (this is, after all, the Reader's Digest Condensed Version!) but I just want you to know that it's not super hard to drive on the bus, and you do have options. I promise - if I can learn to do it, anyone can! :-)

Pop is a great resort when you are using a scooter. The skyliner is so easy to use! You get put in a separate (typically way shorter) line where they fully stop the cars, you just pull on, and off you go! Super easy. I found too that the buses from Pop were very frequent at the vast majority of drivers will help you on and get you parked.

I use Golds Mobility. Their scooters come standard with a fan, cup holder, and a basket on the front. They also give you a control cover and poncho to use on the scooter in case of rain.

This information is from my famously infamous "How to ECV at WDW" post, and I'm only going to copy and paste the part about buses here.

Mostly it's all about the buses (and boats, and Monorail and Skyliners too, for that matter.)

When we talk about using the "brakes" on an ECV, what we really mean is letting go of the throttle. The vast majority of ECVs in the US don't have an actual braking system (like a car or truck has) and rely strictly on the driver of the ECV to be aware, and to let go of the throttle when they need to stop. Additionally, most ECVs that you will encounter have a speed control that goes from slowest to fastest, with a small icon of a turtle for slowest, and a rabbit for fastest. We often talk about "turtle speed" here, and that means turning your speed control all the way down to the slowest setting for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Let's get on the bus!

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be staring at us, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver. 🙂

And some of them are just flat out exhausted, and staring off into space, unaware that they are looking at anything at all!

So, ignore them - and at the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus, or shake my head "no" so that they know I am waiting for a different bus. Some Disney Resorts have queues or rope lines set up for the buses; others just kind of form loose lines. Often in the mornings, there will be a CM at the main Resort bus stops; just as at the Parks, take your guidance from them. (Special note for Resorts with more than 1 bus stop: Try to make your way to the *first* stop at the Resort; as the bus travels through the Resort to pick up other Guests, the chances increase exponentially that there will not be a space for your ECV when the bus arrives, leading to longer wait times.)

Once the bus stops, and everyone is off, the driver will typically close the doors, kneel the bus (lower it), and then open the back doors and flip out the ramp. Wait for the driver to motion you on, and then up the ramp you will go.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help and guidance that they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine! Disney bus drivers help *thousands* of people load and unload ECVs, so you are not a surprise to them in any way!

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. (This is a moment where "turtle speed" is your new best friend!) Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to bump into the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will hear stories about drivers that "park the ECV for you", but that is considered "pixie dust" and is not expected behavior.

Once you are parked, you can take a seat on the bus, if you want to. The bus driver will "tie down" the ECV, by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on the ECV during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

With buses, you will typically board first, and disembark last. Ignore anyone who says anything about how "it must be nice to get on the bus first"; if you really feel the need to reply, just give them your biggest smile, and a big 'ol southern "Oh, bless your heart!". That's all they deserve. 😉

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

While you are boarding the bus, the rest of your group will wait outside the bus, next to the ramp. Once the ECV is parked on the bus, the driver will indicate to your party when they can walk up the ramp to join you, and they should be able to sit near/next to you.

When it's time to disembark from the bus, the rest of your party can get off the bus with all of the other passengers, and they will wait for you outside the bus (or wherever you have agreed upon). Again, the driver will assist you in getting the ECV positioned to drive down the ramp, and out of the bus; listen to their instructions, and you should be fine. 🙂 When driving off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are completely on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want the rear wheels to catch the edge of the ramp if you turn too early, and tip you over!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

As far as boats go, *most* boats at WDW are quite accessible; the notable exceptions are some of the small launches that serve Poly/GF to MK and back, and a small launch that runs every other trip on the WL/MK route. At WL, the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board/disembark to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on. (Pro tip: DON'T LOOK DOWN as you pass over the gap 😂 ) All other boats will have a portable ramp that a CM (Cast Member) will place for you, including the Sassagoula fleet that serves Saratoga & The Treehouses/OKW/POR & POFQ, and the Disney Springs Water Taxis (which are the same type of boat, but have not returned to service since pandemic closings.) The Friendships that ply the waters between Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at EPCOT use the exact same ramp as well. The ramps are *noisy* when driving on and off, but quite safe, I promise! The main thing to watch for here is using "turtle speed" coming *off* the boat - if there is no fencing around the dock, you don't want to make a BIG "splash" in more ways than one!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Monorails use the same portable ramp for loading/unloading as the boats use, and the worst part is some of the pedestrian ramps going *up* to the Monorail stations may really tax the battery on the ECV. A CM will place the portable ramp into the Monorail for you - just follow their instructions. Most of the time, you will have to back off down the ramp at the next station. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, (CMs are used to doing this, and will be glad to help you) and take your time for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Skyliners are VERY accessible, and the gondola cabins are a direct drive on, no ramp needed. CMs will "chock" the ECV wheels to prevent it from rolling across the cabin while in flight. The user simply rolls straight in and sits between the benches. Follow the signs and CM directions at each Skyliner station to go to the HA loading area - they fully stop the gondolas to load there, and you can take all the time you need for both loading and unloading. The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving. There is not a pull-off loading/unloading area at Riviera that other Skyliner stations have, but the Skyliner cars slow to a crawl while going through the Riviera station - so if you feel like you can drive on board, or back off the Skyliner while it is moving, Riviera is no problem.

Only 1 ECV (or personal mobility device of any kind) per Skyliner Cabin, so be prepared to split up here if you have a larger party, or more than one mobility device in your group; just make plans for where everyone will meet!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed on the throttle control, and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety. They are all experienced in helping Guests with their mobility devices.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

There's a lot more info (this is, after all, the Reader's Digest Condensed Version!) but I just want you to know that it's not super hard to drive on the bus, and you do have options. I promise - if I can learn to do it, anyone can! :-)
Thank you so much, Mamabunny, So glad to see you back in action:)
My husband is one who doesn't want to "inconvenience" anyone and who would have trouble with loading and unloading, but I will work on it with your wonderful advice. Hope you continue to feel better and get to disney soon:)

Thank you so much, Mamabunny, So glad to see you back in action:)
My husband is one who doesn't want to "inconvenience" anyone and who would have trouble with loading and unloading, but I will work on it with your wonderful advice. Hope you continue to feel better and get to disney soon:)

Thank you so much! We are aiming for September/October - fingers crossed!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Let's get on the bus!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Wow is this information helpful! With back surgery last year, and now 3 more bulging discs currently, I'm thinking my Disney days are over unless I get a scooter. And since I would likely be going solo, I was petrified even thinking about getting an ECV loaded onto the bus. Perhaps there IS hope for me yet!

Wow is this information helpful! With back surgery last year, and now 3 more bulging discs currently, I'm thinking my Disney days are over unless I get a scooter. And since I would likely be going solo, I was petrified even thinking about getting an ECV loaded onto the bus. Perhaps there IS hope for me yet!

You can do it! Our Solo Travel Specialist, @Simba's Mom will hopefully come along with more good info for you! :-)

If loading on a bus is your biggest worry about a trip why are you waiting. Straight up the ramp and straight down until clear of ramp with all wheels. Bus drivers have always been very helpful.

I have some questions for all of you..... The last time we were at WDW, I rented a scooter in the park due to my bad knee.

My knee has gotten worse and I plan on getting a scooter again for this trip. (I'd never make it from the parking lot to the TTT without my knee giving me a ton of pain - and I'd be miserable the rest of the day.) So I was planning on renting a scooter so I had it the entire trip vs just getting one at the parks for this reason.

The more I think about doing this, the more questions come up.

We drive back and forth on our own to the parks. Ever since the kids were little we did this so we didn't have to wait for the bus transport. It was and is just easier for us to do this. - and we'll do it again this trip. (I have an AP so parking costs are covered - so that's another reason we just drive ourselves)

1.) Do the scooters come apart to load them into a vehicle? We'll probably be getting a minivan or a larger SUV to rent for our entire trip. How do you transport them back and forth? Can we get a ramp or something to make it easier to get it in and out of the vehicle? (And if so, would that be from the scooter place or the car rental company?) Some come apart, some don't. You will need to talk whoever you rent your scooter from, about the kinds they offer. If they don't rent you things to help you load your scooter, they will know who will. I always stay on-site and ride the bus, as I am usually traveling alone, and loading and unloading the scooter pieces parts can be difficult. (Difficult for me, easy for any able-bodied person.)

2.) Battery life: How long does the battery last before you have to recharge it? Not that I'm going to be zipping around at top speed, but I'm a sightly Pooh-sized gal and I know the more weight on the scooter, the more the battery has to work. Thus draining it quicker. Again, something to discuss with your rental place. My personal scooter is a Revo GoGo Plus, which has a special long life battery, and will usually last me 12-14 hours in the park, but most don't last that long. However, you must get in the habit of turning your scooter off religiously any time you aren't actually moving for a more that 15-30 seconds.

3.) Are there places in the parks where you can charge them if needed? I've always rented a scooter right from Disney so I never had to worry about this. Then again, I've used them at the parks and never had to worry about charging. If it would have died in the park, I'm AT the park so they could just swap it out. There should be places you can charge them. The last time I was in WDW was 10 years ago, but they were starting to have all the features that required your smart phone to use, such as scheduling, and were beginning to public work power plugs in at various places. Take your charger with you, and you should be able to charge up at any phone charger spot.

4.) Did you get any "add-ons" for your scooter that you are glad you did or were there things you did, but wish you didn't? (canopy, basket, cover for the electronics) Don't bother with the canopy, they are too tall, cumbersome, and never in the right spot. Get a floppy sun hat, one you can leave in your basket when on the ride, it will be much better. A basket is pretty much a necessity. As a noobie at this, you are going to want to have both hands on the tiller when moving, so you need a basket to put your stuff in. You can usually just set your drink with a top on in your basket and be fine, you don't need a separate cup holder. To protect the electronics, just get a cheap shower cap to put over the rudder. A poncho that is long enough to drape over the rudder while sitting in the seat can be helpful too.

What other things should I know, or are there other tips you can pass along? You are going to get a different view of the world. You will not believe the number of people who feel the need to adjust their pants or underwear in public. If you don't have a group of walkers with you, people are often just not going to see you. Keep your eyes open and watch for them. Be prepared to just come to a halt until they pass -- if you are dead stopped and they flat walk into you, it is clearly their fault and they are unlikely to give you grief.

Thanks in advance!
~D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter