• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooter Questions

MarriedToAPrince

DIS Veteran
My husband might be traveling to Orlando for work next month, so we might all go as a family. I was thinking of surprising my daughter with 2 days at Disney, but i need to figure out the logistics. What are some options to renting a scooter and getting it to Disney Parks when staying in a non Disney hotel?

We might be staying at a universal resort, and I will have a rental car, but wanted to rent a non folding scooter. Can those be delivered to the ticket and transportation center or does it have to be a resort? Can it be delivered to a resort if we aren’t a guest there?

There are portable travel scooters that break down to fit into a car. Usually, it breaks down to 4-5 pieces. One piece can weigh 50 pounds. Many offsite scooter vendors charge for more than 2 days; there could be a minimum of a week rental for example. It's just not worth it for them to deliver and pick up a scooter for a 2 day rental. You might be better off going to their storefront and picking up your own scooter and then deliver it back to them yourself. Not all vendors will do it this way and you have to do it during their store hours.

I have never heard of dropping off a rental scooter at a resort you are not staying at; nor have I heard of a drop off at the transportation center, either.

Your best bet may be to do a park rental. Be aware you need to usually show up at park opening to get one. It's first come, first serve at the parks.

I'm assuming you are the one using the scooter. You need to be at least 18 years old to use a rental scooter. So, if it's for your daughter she needs to be 18.

I rent from Gold mobility and you can designate where you want to pick up the scooter and where you want to have them pick it up at the end of your trip. Nowhere does it say you have to be staying at that resort. For instance, if on your last day you are at MK for the day and want to have pick up at the Contemporary you would just designate it on the rental form.

Called Gold Mobility and this is a gray area with picking up or delivering a rental scooter to a resort you are not actually staying at. It's technically possible but you are taking a chance with the resort bell services (or equivalent service) that they will accept the scooter. For example, if they look for your name and it's not in their resort reservation system then they may not accept the rental scooter.

Also, if the scooter was dropped off at a resort you are not staying at and the scooter vendor for whatever reason doesn't get the scooter back then you will be liable for the cost of the scooter. I would think you would have better recourse in such instances with your own resort that you are staying at.

It's technically possible but you are taking a chance with the resort bell services (or equivalent service) that they will accept the scooter.
Only ScooterBug delivers directly to Bell Services. All other vendors must meet the individual - if the guest doesn’t show the vendor leaves with the scooter. So conceivably they could meet a guest anywhere. At a theme park may be challenging as I’d expect it may be harder to align the meeting without making one party wait. But I suggest calling a few vendors to find out their policy.

I rent from Gold mobility and you can designate where you want to pick up the scooter and where you want to have them pick it up at the end of your trip. Nowhere does it say you have to be staying at that resort. For instance, if on your last day you are at MK for the day and want to have pick up at the Contemporary you would just designate it on the rental form.

Since the OP is staying offsite, I think this would be a very impractical solution, though. They'd have to get back to their car at the TTC, wouldn't they?

Thank you everyone. I did know about the ones that dismantle to fit in the back of the car, and it sounds like that might be my only option. We would likely be staying at a Universal resort, so I could just have it delivered there.
Has anyone had any issues with the smaller scooters not lasting all day in a park?

Scooters are somewhat related to your own weight for how long they will last with their charge. If you are towards the maximum weight allowed for a given scooter then the battery would lose charge faster. Also, the way you use it plays into consideration. For example, during a show shut the scooter off to conserve the battery. How long you plan on staying in the park is another consideration.

Bring your battery charger with you to the park and there are park outlets you can use to give the battery a boost like when you are eating someplace.

The safest way is to get a two battery scooter but they are larger and heavier and bulkier like the Pride Victory scooter. Be aware some scooter vendors make it impossible to break down their scooters even if they are suppose to be able to come apart.

You may want to take a look at a local mobility store for a scooter that suits you and then see if you can take it apart and put it in a car and out again before renting one.

Remember, you need to charge your scooter battery overnight to get a full charge for the next day's use.

We rented 4 Victory sized mobility scooters from Gold Mobility Scooters on our last trip. They were the bigger ones. The battery lasted 10-12 hours every day we were there. They use Larger batteries from what we understand. We never had a dead battery issue. One day we took a trip to universal and we took 2 of them apart into 5/6 pieces and fit them in a small SUV that we rented. I had no trouble taking them apart and putting them together. There was a video on their website that shows you how to do it. It took us less that 5 minutes for both of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter