• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooter Incident at Magic Kingdom Bus Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its pretty fair and relatively obvious to a bus driver if a scooter is waiting, and their party of 5 or 6 people is made to wait in line, if that party will make it on to his or her bus on that trip. They are pretty good at looking at a line and knowing how many are going to fit.

We have had a scooter with us 3 out of the last 4 trips, and will again on our upcoming trip. I would have no problem being made to wait in line like everyone else until we were all going to fit on the bus. When we have been boarded early, as we have many times, I am always careful not to take a seat if there are people waiting in line ... I have been seen many times when a couple scooters are loaded, big parties all walk on the bus, take the limited number of seats now available, and then people and their kids and older folks who were waiting patiently in line are forced to stand ...

There is no perfect solution, but Disney could do a better job of managing this issue.

I think at this point the entire discussion is moot. If a previous poster is correct about the law then we're all wasting our breath/time/etc arguing about it. If the law says scooters/ECVs get priority, they get priority. Period. End of discussion. Anything after that is pointless whining.

Personally, I don't see that Disney could load the busses any differently than they do now.

The folks on scooters need to be loaded first because (as has been said) of the space issue. They need the extra space to get the scooter loaded and situated.

If the scooters had to wait on another bus to be loaded, they might be waiting all day or all evening

It may not be ideal, but I don't think they really have another option.

There are signs at the bus stops that put the limit that can preboard at 6 (I don't remember if that includes the disabled guest or not). But I have never seen it enforced. Bus drivers do not want to tell disabled guests that they will have to leave some of their party behind.

as for the scooters coming up at the last minute, they HAVE to be boarded first. What sense does it make to force them to wait for another bus.

It is what it is, whether we like it or not. I think a good compromise would be to limit the number of guests allowed to ride with scooter.

I can't see that there would be many people who would rent a scooter just to guarantee their family a seat on the bus. As for other advantages from scooter use, I don't think there are any.

Scooters are out of control. I'm going to stick my neck out here.....I say 25% of the people who have these don't really "need" them. I know, I know, you can't tell by looking at someone if there is something wrong with them and all that jive. People have become very lazy in this country.

I don't get it. So the people who want the scooters to wait in line. you want to get on the bus, take a seat then when it's the scooters turn you would get off the bus then get back on. Cause that's the only way the scooter can get on.

No, there are signs on the bus stating people in those seats will have to get up for the disabled - so if you sit there and a person using a scooter or wheechair is ready to board, the driver can ask you to get out of the seat. Of course, if you are disabled as well, then you get to stay seated.

I think at this point the entire discussion is moot. If a previous poster is correct about the law then we're all wasting our breath/time/etc arguing about it. If the law says scooters/ECVs get priority, they get priority. Period. End of discussion. Anything after that is pointless whining.

There's always room for interpretation within the law. Most laws are written as vague statements so they can be discussed, tweaked, and fine tuned. Don't forget that ADA allows for equal access, not anything else.

There are signs at the bus stops that put the limit that can preboard at 6 (I don't remember if that includes the disabled guest or not). But I have never seen it enforced. Bus drivers do not want to tell disabled guests that they will have to leave some of their party behind.

as for the scooters coming up at the last minute, they HAVE to be boarded first. What sense does it make to force them to wait for another bus.

Last minute scooters do not have to be boarded first. What sense does it make to have anyone have to wait for another bus?

Scooters are out of control. I'm going to stick my neck out here.....I say 25% of the people who have these don't really "need" them. I know, I know, you can't tell by looking at someone if there is something wrong with them and all that jive. People have become very lazy in this country.

I disagree. Try renting a scooter and using it in the parks. I'm guessing you will soon realize they are more of a problem than a perk. There is no front of the line access. Unless you are crazy or stupid you have to be extra careful and pay more attention to your driving than to the scenery around you. Plus you are on the level to look at butts all day long. Maybe fun for some at first, but I doubt it is what people are wanting to see when they go to WDW.

I'm not going to be popular but why does a scooter get to arrive as the bus pulls up and get to ride before 50 people who have been waiting in line?

I'm not going to be popular but why does a scooter get to arrive as the bus pulls up and get to ride before 50 people who have been waiting in line?

Because it's not safe to load the scooter when there's already people on the bus.

I disagree. Try renting a scooter and using it in the parks. I'm guessing you will soon realize they are more of a problem than a perk. There is no front of the line access. Unless you are crazy or stupid you have to be extra careful and pay more attention to your driving than to the scenery around you. Plus you are on the level to look at butts all day long. Maybe fun for some at first, but I doubt it is what people are wanting to see when they go to WDW.

I agree, not to mention the cost. I am going to rent from the park, hopefully, and I think it costs $50.00 a day plus a $20.00 deposit which you get back at the end of the day. Seems like the cost is often overlooked. Believe me, I would rather not have to use one.

I know there are lots of people who don't LOOK like they need, them, but they do. They might even be fine to get up and walk around a bit, go on rides, but an entire day of walking would destroy them. So looks can be deceiving.

HOWEVER - Last trip we were on, there was a group of youngish folks, 4 of them, all on scooters, and not disney ones either (so this must have been a pain on the buses) ... anyway, we say them a couple times on one day, and I kid you not, they were racing them around like they were bumper cars, and weaving and dodging through the crowds of people, and at one point as we were walking up to a line, one of the "gentlemen" directing his scooter at full speed toward the scooter parking area, actually just Jumped off his scooter and allowed it to "ghost coast" into the throng of scooters/strollers .... seeing this, the rest of the group did the same, and all proceeded to laugh loudly and then make their way to the line. These people in NO way needed a scooter, they had them purely for fun/laziness ...

Because it's not safe to load the scooter when there's already people on the bus.

But the scooter is often loaded when people are already on the bus, especially when buses make multiple stops. So that's not the reason

And even if that were the reason, they could be made to wait, on their scooter at the side, until they would get on the bus had they pulled in at the back of the line.

There are tons of baby boomers out there who are starting to need scooters. There are plenty of younger people with disabilities. there are many MANY people who need them, and just like YOU SAID, you can't tell by looking at someone. So by your words, that's the end of the story. You can't tell. You can't know. So just end the sentence there.

actually just Jumped off his scooter and allowed it to "ghost coast" into the throng of scooters/strollers

Given that most scooters have the brake engage when you stop giving it "gas", that's quite a feat.

And even if that were the reason, they could be made to wait, on their scooter at the side, until they would get on the bus had they pulled in at the back of the line.

And WHO exactly is going to monitor this????

But the scooter is often loaded when people are already on the bus, especially when buses make multiple stops. So that's not the reason

Plenty of people on scooters have to wait for the next and next and next bus when loading at the resorts. We were well behind a young man in an electric wheelchair (and his family), and 3 boats at WL came and went without him. We got on the 3rd. :( He and his family were still waiting for a boat that could take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter