scooter - how will our trip be different?

Laneyg

Mouseketeer
My dad needs knee surgery but won't have it until after our Disney trip. Meanwhile he cannot walk on it for the amount of walking that will be done on our trip so he's going to rent a scooter.

How will this make our trip different? What do we need to know? Do we need to see guest assistance or anything? Can he be on the scooter in line for rides? In restaurants?

Thanks for any advice!

My dad needs knee surgery but won't have it until after our Disney trip. Meanwhile he cannot walk on it for the amount of walking that will be done on our trip so he's going to rent a scooter.

How will this make our trip different? What do we need to know? Do we need to see guest assistance or anything? Can he be on the scooter in line for rides? In restaurants?

Thanks for any advice!

He won't need to see guest assistance, since the sight of the scooter will alert the cast members that he's disabled. Yes, he can ride the scooter through most of the lines. The CM's will tell him if he needs to use a different entrance. He can park the scooter off to the side in restaurants; the maitre d' will show him where, and he can even plug in the charger while he "recharges" himself at dinner.

The biggest "change" will be the challenge of keeping up with him. :moped:

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

The majority of attraction lines in WDW are "mainstreamed". This means that a wheelchair or ECV will use the regular entrance and line all the way to either a show seating or ride load area. If a line is not mainstreamed there will be signs and/or Cast Members to direct you where to go.

If a show, normally there will be spaces to park a chair or ECV and there will be seats next to the space for other members of the group.

If a ride, usually you will have to transfer to a ride vehicle, although some rides will allow a person in a wheelchair to remain in their chair. If you have to transfer to a ride, and unload is not at the same location as load, your chair or ECV will magically appear at the unload area.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Note that Post #2 discusses mobility and equipment. Post #3 had a wide variety of information and links; it might be a good idea to look at the various park "Guidebook For Persons With Disabilities" for more detailed information.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

As I suggested, go to the disABILITIES FAQs. Start with post #11 and then jump to #18 through #28.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter