Science Project is a disaster!

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by tmarquez, Oct 4, 2012.

1. gillep

gillep DIS Veteran

If she sticks with the project I would bring some of the soil and water to a garden center/ aquatics store to see if they can check the soil and water for pH, nutrients etc. this way she can discuss more variables that may have contributed to the negative results. You can even purchase your own litmus paper and do pH testing at home (not sure about other at home tests as I don't garden but I know the testing is available at garden centers).

Good Luck!! I am currently a laboratory manager and have worked in scientific research for my career and most experiments fail in science or at least need a lot of optimization, but you learn a lot from those less successful ventures.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

Yes Yes Yes!!

Science isn't about getting perfect results, its about understanding the results you do get. I know its 4th grade, and they are kids but its important for them to learn that :)

4. tmarquez

tmarquez DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone! DD read this thread and she is pretty encouraged now to keep on going and with your tips has a better idea of how she can present what happened.

I also found out after reading clm10308's post that she was freaking out because last year she did really well at her district science fair and she was not aware that it was possible to do well with a "failed" experiment too. She puts a lot of pressure on herself.

I would say that they are more "wilting" than anything else. They grew some, now they are just flopping over.