Sci-Fi - The new BOG/Le Ceiller (Pre 2 TS credits)/hard to get ADR?

MarkinNM

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!
In having eaten there in our past trip and enjoyed it and now this trip landed an ADR but seems to be a hard to get ADR. Not sure why or if this is what others have seen here on the boards but it seems like this is getting a bit more difficult to get ADR, with SWGE getting ready to open who knows, what do you think of Sci-Fi?

I'm also having a ton of trouble getting Sci-Fi for our July dates. I've been using reservation finder and every time something comes through for the time I want it's snatched up before I can book it. We are staying for 11 nights so it shouldn't be this hard! I've seen a few 4pm and 8pm reservations but not what we want.

Sci-Fi has been harder to get for a while now. At 180 days plus length of stay I haven’t had an issue but after that there are fewer times to choose from. It has been this way for at least the last 3 years that I’m aware of, and has nothing to do with SWGE opening.

Those who do not want character dining or signature dining at HS are left with Mama Melrose, 50’s PT, and Sci-Fi. I haven’t found Mama Melrose to be terribly popular. Between Sci-Fi and 50’s PT, Sci-Fi just tends to be more popular. The theming is great, and it’s burgers and shakes which appeal to my kids more than “mom’s home cooking” or mediocre Italian.

I have not had a problem getting an ADR for Sci Fi at the 180 day mark. Under 180 days, it can be difficult. All you can do is keep checking as people do cancel. Reservation Finder can help as well. I have had luck with it, but you have to log in almost as soon as you get notified of a time being available as they disappear very quickly.

Unfortunately we decided only a month ago to go in June... I have gotten every reservation I have wanted (even 'Ohana at 5:30) but can't get ANYthing at Sci-fi except 9pm or later on any of the 7 days we are there. We have never eaten there before and I was thinking "Why not give it a try this time?" Now I want it even more because of the difficulty getting the reservation. Maybe I'll have more luck the day before or after.

Sci-Fi has been harder to get for a while now. At 180 days plus length of stay I haven’t had an issue but after that there are fewer times to choose from. It has been this way for at least the last 3 years that I’m aware of, and has nothing to do with SWGE opening.

Those who do not want character dining or signature dining at HS are left with Mama Melrose, 50’s PT, and Sci-Fi. I haven’t found Mama Melrose to be terribly popular. Between Sci-Fi and 50’s PT, Sci-Fi just tends to be more popular. The theming is great, and it’s burgers and shakes which appeal to my kids more than “mom’s home cooking” or mediocre Italian.
This plus by WDW standards the prices are reasonable.

Try the Touring Plans reservation finder. I, too, was having a lot of difficulty getting Sci-Fi lunch and I finally got one for our trip in late July with the reservation finders help.

I have never had an issue getting many choices of times for Sci-Fi at 180 days, but I have certainly noticed difficulty in trying to move to a different date/time anytime after that. It is definitely one of the harder to get ADRs, although not quite to the level of BOG.

As @EdnaMarieMode said it has been this way for years.IMHO it is nothing like BOG/Le Cellier
I had NO issues on BOG, even switching days around, got the times I wanted on both days, Sci-Fi on the other hand have not been able to get except for one day and have not been able to switch times or days even with Tour Plans, I was just wondering if others had the same issue, Sci-Fi as it seems to be a bit difficult to get..........Maybe because HS has real slim pickings.....??

Last edited:
I had NO issues on BOG, even switching days around, got the times I wanted on both days, Sci-Fi on the other hand have not been able to get expect for one day and have not been able to switch times or days even with Tour Plans, I was just wondering if other had the same issue, Sci-Fi as it seems to be a bit difficult to get..........Maybe because HS has real slime pickings.....??
Same here. Booked a couple breakfasts/lunches at BOG no issue. SciFi can’t even get anything with reservation finder. I booked CRT through reservation finder before SciFi. Hopefully it comes through for us soon.

Well finally today TP came through again, for Sci-Fi.......the time we wanted......that took a bit to get.....The place a a bit difficult to get...

Sci Fi use to always have availability. Then, a few years ago that all changed. I think it started with TSM becoming the "in" ride that everyone had to do, which puts more people in the park, which means more ADR's. It doesn't have anything to do with SWGE. The popularity started before SW was even announced.

Someone posted about this a few weeks ago. I agree, it was the hardest ADR for my trip in September (with the exception of Storybook Dining, which I still haven't snagged even with 2 reservation finders searching). For a 7 day trip we booked other hard to get places like BOG, CRT, Ohana, Akershus PPO, Chef Mickey brunch, etc for every time and day we wanted. There were no openings for lunch or dinner for the first 5 days of our trip for Sci-fi. Kept checking and I think they released more when they changed the hours to 10:45am instead of 11am, because I was able to get lunch at 10:45am on day 3 of my trip. My guess is people are afraid of phased closures in HS so they want ADRs to secure their place in the park.

My *hope* is that they announce special Star Wars theming for it for a limited time. I saw on another blog that they had a SW breakfast during a SW weekend so anything is possible!

I was surprised how difficult this one was to get as well! We didn't decide we wanted a lunch ADR here until around a month ago (going in July) and it took me several weeks with the touring plans reservation finder searching before I was able to get one. I was surprised because I never knew this one was so hard to get? It will be our first time trying it.

It used to be very easy to get. Plenty of same day availability (this was years ago), even before they closed half the park. I think a few things contributed to this:
1. Prices have gone up at other restaurants more than sci fi, comparatably (including quick service), making sci fi more of an OOP value than it used to be (on our first trip in 2007, we did both H&V and Sci Fi, and the check total wasn't that different).
2. From our experience (probably not enough visits to rule out coincidence), the wait for a table at sci fi is a lot less in recent years, leaving me to believe they cut back on number of ADR's per hour (essentially assuming slower table turnover).
3. Elimination of Studio Catering Co. meant more demand at all other eateries.

I think the main reason has nothing to do with price (it's not THAT much cheaper) or food (Food quality and selection is no better or worse than any other DIS restaurant). It is mostly the immersion experience. Let's face it - most of us who go to Disney are already interested in immersive experiences and while we get that at all the parks, there are not many restaurants that offer it. Plus it's also relaxing inside, which is also not a given while eating at the parks.

I was able to get Sci Fi through the Mouse Dining reservation finder. I know that Touring Plans has one too. I think you will be able to get one if you try one of these sites. In fact, I just got a better time on my day through this site as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter