• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci-Fi or 50's PTC?

Coconuts

DIS Veteran
I am trying to decide where to eat at when we go to DHS. Sci-Fi and 50's PTC are the 2 places I have it narrowed down to.

We have never been to Sci-Fi (I always like to try new places) and the whole idea of eating in a car would really appeal to the kids. But...I have heard such horrible things about the food that I don't want to waste a TS on something terrible.

We did 50's PTC last trip and the food was great. Our waitress really didn't get into character so we didn't get the full effect. But the kids loved the meal and the hula hooping outside.

So, do we try something new that may not have good food, or stick with something we know and like?

Between the two, I liked 50's PTC much better.

However, you need to try Sci-Fi. Your kids will love it. I would suggest lunch over dinner. Get a burger and a shake. As I just said in another thread, it's not Five Star dining, but is a lot of fun, especially for the kids.

50's Prime Time for sure. Sci Fi has the better atmosphere but for food it's 50's Prime Time easily. The fried chicken is delicious.

I would try the Sci-Fi Dine In. If you like to try new places anyway, it just has a really cool atmosphere. Yes, the food is average, but it's worth doing at least once just for the atmosphere. Kids will definitely like it!!

We've done it about 3 times just because it's so cool looking!

P.S. Kids (or adults) can get glow-in-the-dark drinks

My kids love Sci Fi. We thought it was ok. Food was blah. We are going again this year because the kids LOVE it. And I have heard the burgers and sandwiches are ok so we'll stick with those.

My DH and I tried 50's a long time ago and thought it was just ok. My kids would get annoyed at the waitresses telling them to finish their veg and all of that stuff.

So funny - I've been pondering the same thing! I've been to 50's (with my daughter, my friend, and her two kids) and we all liked it. This Dec, I'm going back with my whole family (DH and 4 kids). I thought we could try the Sci-Fi, but just last night we had a family discussion about it. I described the food and atmosphere at 50's, Sci-Fi, and Mama Melrose, and it ended up being a unanimous vote for 50's! I was really surprised, but 50's here we come!

We're even going to go with the whole eating at home kind-of idea and just order several of the fried chicken dishes and eat family platter style.

We're trying Prime Time for the first time when we go. Sci-Fi was the worst use of a TS credit for us ever! It greatly upset me thinking about the yucky food we had there for dinner and how I used one of our precious TS credits for it. Lunch wasn't too bad, so if we ever feel the need to go back it would be for a sandwich at lunch and paying OOP.

We had the worst meal ever at 50's - bad cold meal, bad waitress, huge waste of 3 HOURS.

On the other hand, we go to Sci-Fi every trip - as long as you stick with burger, onion rings and milkshakes, you can't go wrong.

TRY SCI-FI!!!!! AMAZING Milkshakes,great atmosphere,quiet,and theres more to the food than just burgers!! I was just there on 7/20 and it was great!
Hollywoodstudiosnight014.jpg

Hollywoodstudiosnight013.jpg

Hollywoodstudiosnight016.jpg

Hollywoodstudiosnight019.jpg

Hollywoodstudiosnight021.jpg

Hollywoodstudiosnight006.jpg

We also went to Prime time50s cafe..omg.THE FRIED CHICKEN!!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!! and the pot roast too <333 waitress wasnt in character at all but we didnt really care, the 50s home setting was nice :) Big milkshakes!!!!!

Day3HollywoodStudiosmorning065.jpg

Day3HollywoodStudiosmorning066.jpg

Day3HollywoodStudiosmorning067.jpg

I used to be a big fan of the SciFi, but the food is terrible. It's cool to go to once to experience it. I would agree that probably lunch is safer there. The 50's Cafe on the other hand has great comfort food (meat loaf, fried chicken, chicken pot pie)

We have eaten and enjoyed both of these restaurants. I would not say either of these places have the best food ever, but the atmosphere makes it for us! We loved the waitresses at 50's and the girls loved watching their dad get in trouble for putting his elbows on the table. And it was good home cooking. My girls wanted to try Sci-fi on our October trip and you get such mixed reviews. We went in with an attitude that the food may stink, but it ended up being my girls favorite meal of the trip. They loved the ribs and milk shakes! My dh and I got the steak and it wasn't the best steak, but I was eating at a drive-in. It was a lot of fun and I am really glad we tried it. Some friends of ours ate their the same night and their family of picky eaters enjoyed it also. I don't think you can go wrong with either!

We have been to 50s Prime Time Cade and it was really good.I have it booked for next time.

We're trying out Sci-Fi for the first time as well. It sounds fun.

I have the same dillema, only in reverse :)
We've done Sci-Fi twice, and on our next trip I'm thinking of doing 50's PTC. Looks like fun. My kids are a little upset with me, they love Sci-Fi. The atmosphere is great, the food so-so.

I think they are both great!!! Awesome atmosphere and good food at each. Since you have eaten at 50's before I vote for trying Sci-Fi!! My party of 6 ate there last February and everyone really enjoyed their meals. We all had reubens or ribs - delish! Your kids will love the place - mine did!:thumbsup2

nt a prime time fan
I would suggest using your TS at prime time and then later on grabbing a shake or ice cream at sci fi. they are both places a person should try at least once

I would always vote for 50's Prime Time cafe for TS in DHS but it really depends on what you're going for. If you go to Sci-Fi just for the atmospherre and plan on just getting burgers or sandwiches then you'll probably be alright. The service at Sci-Fi wasn't too good and pretty slow when I went but that can happen anywhere. Have fun with whatever you decide!

Me and DD at at Sci Fi 1/08 and had a great time. It's a really fun atmosphere, our service was just fine, and our food was tasty. I had a nice meal with tofu and my daughter had chicken nuggets I'm sure (that's all she ever eats)

She liked it so much, we are going there again in September. I liked it too, so I didn't protest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter