sci fi just for milkshakes?

I am just curious because I dont think I have ever had a milkshake at Sci Fi...I have had ones at 50s Prime Time. Are they the same? We just go to the bar at 50s Prime Time and order them. BTW I have an ADR at T-Rex and contemplating doing just desserts..want the atmospehere without the expense and headaches. Have fun on your trip!

We have been a few times and we think the food is pretty good at Sci-Fi. My husband always sticks with the ribs. I have had the shrimp pasta and the reuben before. We have ordered the onion rings and the spinach and artichoke dip for appetizers. I forget what the kids have ordered from the kids menu. We always get the shakes too.

i dont know how these things start but over the years the "just get a milkshake dont eat there" thing has taken hold on the boards. it is pretty much crap. the food is fine and the entertainment value is high. the place is always full and if it were anywhere near as bad as some lead you to believe it would show in the attendance. it is not a high end menu and it may not be your best use of a dining plan table service credit but that does not affect the taste of the reuben, onion rings, cheeseburgers or ribs which are all very good.

I would take me chances with a walk up on this one. When you make an ADR they reserve the table for an average anount of time for a family there to have a meal. This was you would be fiilling an open slot they had already.

If you want to eat there -- no matter what you want to eat or how much time you take to eat it -- I would make the ADR. If you really want to eat there, counting on a walk-up will lead to disappointment. If you walk up and say, "we just want milk shakes," that isn't going to make a table miraculously materialize, as compared to any other guest wanting a full meal when the restaurant is booked solid.

If you never had one of their milkshakes...I thought I would let you know their more like a Wendy's Frosty with a deeper chocolate flavor, than a true milkshake. At Wendy's they promotes the Frosty as a dessert and at Sci Fi it is easier to consume it with the spoon straw than attempting to get it to go through the straw.:)

Glad someone finally posted this! I don't quite get the excitement over the shakes here. It's really just a cup of soft serve icecream with a spoon straw to me! The frosty comparison is perfect. Not that they're bad, but they really don't seem like they should be called "shakes" at all.

If you want to eat there -- no matter what you want to eat or how much time you take to eat it -- I would make the ADR. If you really want to eat there, counting on a walk-up will lead to disappointment. If you walk up and say, "we just want milk shakes," that isn't going to make a table miraculously materialize, as compared to any other guest wanting a full meal when the restaurant is booked solid.
:thumbsup2

i dont know how these things start but over the years the "just get a milkshake dont eat there" thing has taken hold on the boards. it is pretty much crap. the food is fine and the entertainment value is high. the place is always full and if it were anywhere near as bad as some lead you to believe it would show in the attendance. it is not a high end menu and it may not be your best use of a dining plan table service credit but that does not affect the taste of the reuben, onion rings, cheeseburgers or ribs which are all very good.

It seems that the approach to this thread, via the original poster, was about the idea of just wanting the milk shake and not wanting to waste a Table Service credit at this particular restaurant. In no way was that person criticizing the taste of the food, they just want to be able to get a milkshake. It's a fair argument because, as you pointed out, other TS restaurants have a higher end menu. I personally didn't mind the food the last time I ate there since we were paying out of pocket and as lunch, it was superior to the QS options available. And now i'm cursing you for giving me cravings for onion rings!

I don't think I'd go just for milkshakes, although I don't think there is any rule stating you can't!

Personally, I would use a ts credit. It is my kids very favorite restauarant in all of Disney. We enjoy the food there. The service is fine, and the ribs are good. Add in the milkshake and dessert, and the value for a table service credit is not bad. Add in the atmosphere and entertainment value, and sci fi is a great use of a credit!!

Sci-Fi is one of my family's favorite WDW restaurants!!! We've always had very good food there - the burgers are tied with LTT's for the best burger on property (IMO) and, frankly, some of the best burgers I've had anywhere. We've also really enjoyed the reubens and ribs. The milkshakes are fantastic - I always get one with my burger!!! Go and enjoy yourself - whatever you decide to order!!!:thumbsup2

i think that if you make an adr, you should be planning on eating there. makes sense since the d stands for dining. if i was a waiter and was getting tipped on milkshakes all day, i would be ticked. and to say that you dont care, says way more about you than anything else.

In no way was that person criticizing the taste of the food, they just want to be able to get a milkshake.

But, OP said:

well... I guess the survey says no. Just wish they served better food!

So the perceived lack of good food was a consideration.

I see lots of good reviews about Sci-Fi food. I think it's best to give things a try to see for yourself.

But I don't see anything wrong with just ordering whatever it is that you want -- milkshakes or otherwise.

If it were me, I'd order appetizers instead of milkshakes. I don't get what the big deal is about milkshakes. :confused3

This reminds me of time a group of us went to a VERY busy restaurant and only ordered appetizers. The waiter was trying to be nice, although noticably peeved, and said "next time if you dont plan to order a meal, please order from the bar area". Point well taken.

From now on I personally wouldn't order only apps/dessert at any "busy" sit-down restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter