School schedules came today-when do you start school?

DD - starting 4th grade on 9/2
DS - starting high school on 9/8
Me - taking a college course starting 9/8

9/8 here.

And that's the ONLY day of school the whole week due to the Jewish holiday.

9/2.... not happy about them going back before Labor day for the second year in a row

I don't understand why your school does that. In the HS where I work, schedule conflicts are called down to the office in mid-May and things are ironed out. But I can see where they just didn't want to throw your daughter in a class she may not want. She will just have to decide which is more important--a class she likes, or taking a so-so class so have everything else.Daisyx3

She's already made the decision of what she wants to take.

Back end of April/beginning of May, the kids fill out their election sheets. For the electives, they have to rank the 6 option in order of preference. For her, she choose keyboarding as #1, spanish as #2, art as #3, and for 4-6 I forget what order she put them in.

So the school already knows what she wants, it's how the computer program for assigning classes is written that causes the problems and how the school(s) handle the problem. The principal told us that when they feed the info into the program, there is no where to put their alternate elective selections.
If there is an issue, in our case the class was full, it just assisigns an incomplete schedule.

To me, they need to update/fix the program they use. There needs to be a place to put the alternate electives, which would cause them to update the program. Or when the schedules print out, the incomplete ones need to be printed first and reviewed and corrected, again would be an update to the program. Or if the program can't be tweaked, then someone(s) in the office, needs to go over every single schedule and verify that the kids have a complete schedule. If it's missing a class, pull the elective sheets out and fix it - before giving it to the kids.

We start back to school August 25 and get out June 3rd (Can you see I'm already looking forward to next year's break?!)

By law in the state of Texas the earliest any publically funded school in the state can start is the fourth Monday of August which this year falls on August 23 so they will all start on that day.

My DD starts her sophmore year on September 7th. And my DS starts his sophmore year of college on the 30th of August. DH and DD are driving out to Utah to take DS his car before school starts.

finally got confirmation on start dates. I wish CT had passed the law that they all start the day after labor day.

DS14 - High school 8/31, rest of the HS 9/1 (freshmen always start one day early to get their bearings)

DS9 - elementary school - 9/1

DS8 - private school (not attending the public school this year) - 8/30

DD4 Pre-K at the elementary school - 9/8

DS14 catches the bus at 6:30 and I drive the rest for 8, 8:20, and 8:30 drop off.

Tomorrow, tomorrow the kids go to school TOMORROW!!! :woohoo:

Or, if you prefer....
"The sun'll come out tomorrow..."

:wave2: :hyper:

9/8 here.

And that's the ONLY day of school the whole week due to the Jewish holiday.

Sept 8th here too and everyone is upset about it (just attending that one day for the week). It's like they really don't start school until Monday Sept 13th. I think there was a petition to just start on the 13th but it didn't go thru.

BTW, my dd is 11 and starting 6th grade (middle school). She just had a 3 day orientation last week but we haven't received her schedule yet. She's excited for her new school, new friends/teachers, and electives. :goodvibes

My DD(14) is a HS freshman and starts 8/16! I can't believe Summer is already over!

We started on Friday . Booooo I wasn't quite ready for summer to end. I will say one good thing bout starting so early is we are out mid May, which means it is good time to go on vacation . Rest of the country is still in school.

Ditto to ALL of the above! I could have written this word for word!!

My 7th grader starts friday August 20th, my oldest two start Monday the 23. I would be happier if they got out july 1st then started back Oct 1st with how our weather is here in Southern California. This summer so far has had the coldest temps on records I have heard but come Sept and Oct i fully expect it to be blazing and half the state to be on fire again. The way our school districts ignore the high heat and poor air quality days and have the kids running a mile in ash strewn air is insane. I am looking forward to them going back though because i want my plasma back.

My oldest DD said they get out June 2nd next year which must mean they are doing away with the week long thanksgiving break that they inplemented because all the immigrant families took their kids out of school the whole week anyhow.

Schools and Schoolbaords baffle me. I alway vote against who was the incumbant.

My county has start and end dates that are set in snow. No snow days built into the calendar since we are in the south. So if wee miss days of school they start taking away vacation days. We have to start on the 25th of August and end on the 10th of June. No ifs, ands or buts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter