School rules . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="It doesn't matter how old you are if your a teacher. I/QUOTE]

Said I'd leave but this is nonsense

[QUOTE="It doesn't matter how old you are if your a teacher. I/QUOTE]

Said I'd leave but this is nonsense

How so? Apart from the toll on your brain, which lets face it there are far more professions which require equal if not more brain power than being a teacher. A 60 year old should be equally capable of being a teacher than a 30 year old. It doesn't not require you be physically fit at all. Unless your a PE teacher and even that's debatable.

My point is that unless your job requires you to be physically able to do it. Firefighters, police etc then you should get a "special" pension age, or more money because of it. It should be classed the same as any other profession. They are providing a National Service, putting their lives at risk to help others Teaching doesn't even come close to this.

Teachers aren't deserved of anymore than anyone else just because they teach.

*sigh* why do all of these threads end up teacher-bashing?

Most of us are passionate people who love kids and strive to bring out the best in the next generation. Most people I know say that they could never be a teacher as it is such a demanding profession and has been identified as one of the most stressful jobs, second only to Nursing.

I don't want a better deal than others - I just want the deal that I signed up for when I qualified to teach.

The reasons I decided to take industrial action for the FIRST TIME in a 20 year career:
Would you roll over and accept these CHANGES to your pay and conditions?
Pensionable age increased by 8 years.
50% increase in pension contributions.
Smaller pensions.
Longer working hours, same salary.
Shorter holidays, same salary.
No limit on working hours.
Forced to cover for absent colleagues whilst still doing your own job.
2 year pay freeze.
Performance related pay when your job's 'outcome'... isn't measurable.
Increased workload.
Unqualified (and cheaper) staff taking your jobs.
No entitlement to lunch breaks.

Me neither.

*sigh* why do all of these threads end up teacher-bashing? Most of us are passionate people who love kids and strive to bring out the best in the next generation. Most people I know say that they could never be a teacher as it is such a demanding profession and has been identified as one of the most stressful jobs, second only to Nursing. I don't want a better deal than others - I just want the deal that I signed up for when I qualified to teach. The reasons I decided to take industrial action for the FIRST TIME in a 20 year career: Would you roll over and accept these CHANGES to your pay and conditions? Pensionable age increased by 8 years. 50% increase in pension contributions. Smaller pensions. Longer working hours, same salary. Shorter holidays, same salary. No limit on working hours. Forced to cover for absent colleagues whilst still doing your own job. 2 year pay freeze. Performance related pay when your job's 'outcome'... isn't measurable. Increased workload. Unqualified (and cheaper) staff taking your jobs. No entitlement to lunch breaks. Me neither.

To be fair a lot is these points people in the private sector have been dealings with since the days Gordon Brown was chancellor. Teachers have been very very lucky to keep there excellent pension until now the private sector mostly lost theirs in the late 90s. I'm not saying teachers done deserve pensions or shouldn't be upset at the changes but they have had a very goof run of final salary pensions a good 15 years after most private sector ones were taken away. To me the changes now are evening out the playing field.

To be fair a lot is these points people in the private sector have been dealings with since the days Gordon Brown was chancellor. Teachers have been very very lucky to keep there excellent pension until now the private sector mostly lost theirs in the late 90s. I'm not saying teachers done deserve pensions or shouldn't be upset at the changes but they have had a very goof run of final salary pensions a good 15 years after most private sector ones were taken away. To me the changes now are evening out the playing field.

I know that the private sector has been shafted but the current government is trying to pitch us against each other to deflect from the real issues. I will continue to fight for the pension that was promised me when I qualified. I would say that the private sector did traditionally benefit from the prospect of higher salaries, company cars, bonuses etc - things which were compensated for by our pensions.

We shouldn't be happy that both sectors are losing out.

Not teacher bashing Juliette but some of us would snap your hand off for a deal like that.
I earn approx a third of what I did 10 years ago, no prospect of ever retiring, the only way I can give up working is thru ill health.
Just same as teachers I love what I do. We would all like to go back to what we signed up for but times have changed.

Not teacher bashing Juliette but some of us would snap your hand off for a deal like that.
I earn approx a third of what I did 10 years ago, no prospect of ever retiring, the only way I can give up working is thru ill health.
Just same as teachers I love what I do. We would all like to go back to what we signed up for but times have changed.

I know Wayne, but you can't blame us for trying to fight it.
I will be working until I am 68 which horrifies me lol.

Anyway, to get back on topic...I fully support parents taking out their kids and wish I could do it too!:rotfl:

Don't call me a troll Luke. I mean it. Sick of tired of teachers complaining about their lot. They get huge breaks and don't give me that nonsense about it's all spent marking or working long hours. Millions of people work very long days on minimum pay with next to no pension. The very same people who cannot afford to pay the prices charged in Summer holidays etc. I'm a manager and Xmas is very busy for our company and I spent 50 hours last week and am contracted for 37.5 - I get 2 days off at xmas, but you know what? That was my choice and I love my job. So the next time my kids schools strike, I'll be charging the school or authorities if they dare fine me for taking my kids out, if I ever do it. Teachers should be like certain service and unable to strike. Before anyone defends teachers, I will say this - you do an amazing job. If you don't have kids, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea of cost implications of these rules.

Well said that man!

My parents and I are going out for an Indian this evening. I'm not sure Wayne will be able to relax with such fierce debate in this thread.

Tweet in case of emergency. :p

My parents and I are going out for an Indian this evening. I'm not sure Wayne will be able to relax with such fierce debate in this thread.

Tweet in case of emergency. :p

lol,:rotfl: enjoy the curry Matt, Wayne and Karen. We are getting a takeaway curry, so I will be bowing out now x

I know Wayne, but you can't blame us for trying to fight it.
I will be working until I am 68 which horrifies me lol.

Anyway, to get back on topic...I fully support parents taking out their kids and wish I could do it too!:rotfl:

Wont the rest of us be working till we are 68? When I started working I thought I would be retiring at 60 and getting a state pension then. To be honest I dont think it will be long until anyone who has access to any type of private/work pension will no longer qualify for a state pension or it will be means tested. The country has run out of money so none of us are going to get what we originally thought we would. However, there is still no other place in the world that I would rather live. When I think how lucky we are compared to billions of other people, it kind of puts everything in to perspective.

We will agree to disagree but I'm gonna leave it there :)

:goodvibes

Luke, you need to respect other people can have opinions without being a troll. I have far better things to do with my life that troll.

My points are valid. Why should Teachers be treated any differently to anyone else? they get hell of a good deal with pensions and time away from work.

Do you feel the same way about Fire Fighters and Prison Warders, NHS workers, the Police? They are also striking or campaigning because the government has raised their retirement ages, or is your disgust reserved only for the teaching profession?

By your own logic, I could easily say: If you don't teach, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea about teaching. But I won't because that would be childish.;)

None of these get how many weeks leave a year?

Show me where I said disgust?

I did say Teachers do a great job...

All of our retirement ages have risen? or is it only unfair to penalise Public workers?

Many need a taste of the real world..

Well said that man!

Thanks, people where I work will get Xmas day off and have to be back at 6am Boxing day or starting at 2pm - 10pm Boxing day.

To hear public workers moan about their tough life, shows a complete lack of touch with the real world where people earn £6.31 an hour and cannot afford a pension. Many dream of being able to even retire at 68.

My heart sobs for teachers employment packages and to be fair many public sector workers.

Again for the people who struggle to read the whole of my posts..

"Teachers do an excellent job, of this there is no doubt"

I know that the private sector has been shafted but the current government is trying to pitch us against each other to deflect from the real issues. I will continue to fight for the pension that was promised me when I qualified. I would say that the private sector did traditionally benefit from the prospect of higher salaries, company cars, bonuses etc - things which were compensated for by our pensions.

We shouldn't be happy that both sectors are losing out.

Some profession in the private sector yes, many professionals in the private sector earn on a par or less than teachers and had their pensions raided years ago.

I'm not saying it is right to raid public sector pensions but i do think it is necessary. The UK is the only country in the world that has final salary schemes and they are unsustainable financially. The country is broke and needs to cut its cloth accordingly. That means a tough time for us all not just the private sector I think it is right and fair that this time the public sector also takes some of the pain when they were largely immune from the last couple of major recessions.

Pension at 68 is a fact of life across the whole of Europe with ageing populations and falling birth rates we should think ourselves lucky we are not our children as they will have it much much harder than we do now.

As for the other points my contract is for 35 hours but I have no limit on my working hours and regularly work 7 day weeks. I frequently spend weekends flying to where I need to spend my working week and fly home the following weekend. Performance related pay is a fact of life and has been for my last 20 professional years and I don't see why teachers should be exempt everyone even the kids can tell a good teacher from a bad one and performance is always measurable.

Many teacher do an excellent job, some do an awful job they are human like every other profession but as a profession they do need to enter the real work and limit their expectations to what is realistic in a country that is fiscally broke.

This thread has veered completely away from the original question and, to that end, I think it is time for it to come to a close :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter