School Registration Forms - Too Personal?

MattsPrincess

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-outrageous-kindergarten-application-question-122950416687.html

I saw this story this morning and wondered what you guys all thought about it. I don't have kids so I've never filled out school forms, but I do remember bringing them home for my parents to fill out. I don't think that question was ever one there, and it does seem too personal to me.

Perhaps a more broad question/prompt, like "Where there any birth complication that could contribute to developmental problems?" then maybe some blank lines to explain what they were?

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-outrageous-kindergarten-application-question-122950416687.html

I saw this story this morning and wondered what you guys all thought about it. I don't have kids so I've never filled out school forms, but I do remember bringing them home for my parents to fill out. I don't think that question was ever one there, and it does seem too personal to me.

Perhaps a more broad question/prompt, like "Where there any birth complication that could contribute to developmental problems?" then maybe some blank lines to explain what they were?
Absolutely too personal. I would only give information like that to a physician. It's really not in a teacher's expertise to diagnose possible birth trauma.

Woah - I just fillled out the registration forms for my kids and nope - they didn't ask that. But they did ask a few questions I just didn't answer, and no one seemed to really care. I'm a very strong believer in protection of my and my kids' privacy. So far, when I've refused to anwer questions (mostly SSN and adoption related), I haven't received any pushback or negative consequences at all.
And I did convince my kid's private school to change the wording of their question about who the child lives with to not separate out bio and adoptive parents.

It's a strange question. I would probably answer and just go on.

This seems like an unnecessary invasion of privacy, and I would refuse to answer it. If and when my child's teacher suspected a learning or behavior problem, then a discussion of birth trauma might, emphasis might, be appropriate.

That's a strange question - not asked on any of my kids' school forms. I probably wouldn't answer it. We live in a high-poverty school district so we do get asked some pretty detailed questions, but mostly things like if you have a permanent home, if there's heat in your home, if you regularly have enough food to feed your family, etc. It's mostly so the school can gauge who needs assistance, so I'm happy to answer those.

It was on my now 5 year old twins preschool forms. I answered it. It was not on their kindergarten registration materials.

That is a real personal question. I would not answer it, and I would tell them it is none of their business.

Um no, I wouldn't be answering that. I would write, "if you weren't part of the conception or birth, then you dont need to know."

When my dd16 became pregnant, we had to let the school clinic know her due date, her Dr. name,number,3 contacts. They wanted her to fill out a thing I guess for survey purposes that I said no to. Her name, age, grade, was this her first pregnancy, the age of the father( but do to HIS) privacy couldn't put his name, of course they weren't going to call him in to do a.survey,lol.

There is absolutely no reason a school needs to know how my child was delivered. That question is way too personal and no one's business but mine and my doctors.

Way too personal. I don't answer anything that may compromise mine or my child's privacy and indenity. The info they wanted for field trips was crazy. I only received push back for it once from one of the clerks in DD's middle school. She said she wouldn't deny DD but when she entered high school I would HAVE to give the info. Never happened. I notice on my younger kids forms (they're nine years younger) there is now the option, "prefer not to answer" so I must not have been the only parent who refused to give certain info.

I think our forms asked if we lived in a car. But that's as personal as it got.

I'd probably pass on anything that personal.

It's sort of interesting to see them continually get more personal in the information they want.

My daughter is entering high school, and I'm on the countdown until we are done with the public school system. I won't miss ANY of the nonsense like that.

I would have just left it blank, just as I did where it asked for my child's social security number and those of both my husband and I (and the secretary tried to tell me that providing that information was required).

I can see them wanting that information if there is a possible learning disability that they need to accomodate. However, there's no reason to ask for it unless that sort of situation arises, and then I would think I'd provide it to the person testing/evaluating the child, not to the school secretary and whoever else might see the record card in the office.

Okay, a half hour ago when I first read this, this seemed like the most bizarre question ever.
THEN, I Googled it.
Soo, it is a little less bizarre a question given the hmmmmmm factor on some very very preliminary research on the potential negative impact of a C-Section that someone may carry with them the rest of their life.

It was on my incoming kindergarten's application. I answered it, wasn't even a blip on my radar since I have read about how babies are born can have an impact on them later in life. I don't know if I agree with it or not but at least it put the question in context of a school application. Honestly I've talked and compared birth experiences in small talk with other moms at parties, it wasn't a conversation about my lady parts. It was about the birth of our kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter