School Pictures...Cost out of control?

Sams club, or mpix com will let you do sports cards, you may want to think about trying that to cut the cost of the sports pictures!

Sams club, or mpix com will let you do sports cards, you may want to think about trying that to cut the cost of the sports pictures!

I was just getting ready to post about MPIX....I love them. We use them for sports cards every year and last year I ordered a Photo Statue for the Coaches gift and the placed it on a plaque. It turned out really well.

I have to check the fine print on the packages because they kind of hide the least expensive package. But ours are $11.00 for the lowest package--8 wallets, 8 1x2's, and 2 3x5's. Only gray background or there is an extra cost. After the first two full price children, the rest in the family are half price for the same sized package.

For many schools picture day is a fundraiser with proceeds to the yearbook to defray costs or to the PTA/PTO/PTSO or whatever your school may call it. For years I never knew that until I happenend to be at a meeting and it was a year end budget disclosure with the formal treasurers report.

:thumbsup2 What they said!

I always buy the cheapest amount and the photo quality printer paper at Walmart. If they don't turn out, I didn't spend much.

Really, even though most people don't understand it from the photographer's point of view, this is stealing. The photographer's work is protected by federal copyright law. The photog could sue you for copyright infringement, even if you are just sending the pics to grandma. But, instead of suing the people who steal, they raise prices for everyone.
There are some huge chains doing photography in schools, but there are lot of small businesses still in the game, also. When people copy and scan, the small businesses suffer and die. Then, the little guys go out of business and any variety and choice in the market goes with them. Then the big guys will raise prices even more.

What do you think a is reasonable price for school pictures?
(and, btw, studies show that very few people actually end up with the cheap $9.95 package from walmart or sears. The average person spends over $200)

My children go to school where we live and I teach in Flint. The same photo company, Life Touch, has different prices for the same packages. Prices where we live are the same or more than most of what I've seen posted, while in Flint the prices are at the low end. Its market driven, that is for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter