• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

School - Not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
:mad: The double standards at play in our schools over pupils' attendance makes my blood boil.
DD attended on the last day of term, only 2 of her year group showed up, to be told there was no point coming back after lunch as the teacher they were due to have for the period after lunch was going home early.
The same school would dare to fine me for taking her out of school a day early to go on a family holiday.
The more stories I hear about this nonsense the more angry I am getting. :furious:

pineapple123 said:
I also have looked at changing the holiday dates but for easter/summer 2007 price is nearly double.
[sarcasm]Apparently, this is called "Supply And Demand" nothing at all to do with tour operators, holiday companies and their associates ripping people with children off. Oh no. They wouldn't do that to parents, would they?[/sarcasm].

pineapple123 said:
Like everyone I want the best for my children and this does include a good education but also life experience and a happy family bond, on this basis I will still take my children out with or without authourisation.
Talk to your school. Try and reason with them but when push comes to the proverbial shove, it's your family, they're your children and whilst they all require an education, you should have the final say.

i to would take the kids out, at present our chidren's school only allows 10 days, we have already used this years, but they are closing a week early for the golf open which is held where we live, making the summer holidays 1 week longer, and they aren't going back earlier, stupid yep i agree, if your child was ill what would they do?? its early in the school year so i am sure they will catch up, we do this to, and that is one of the reason's we are thinking of going next oct to.

hope this helps.

I got confirmation today that DD, Kirsty (stichgonecrazy) can have the seven days authorised when we go to WDW in four weeks time.

They agreed that although all the borough's secondary schools did not allow leave during term time they would accept in this one instance as I had booked 18 months prior and did not know the new rules, they took into account her sickness record and my problems at work getting time off etc etc. So pleased. It has been a long 6 months. I have had it agreed that next year I am allowed to take the last two weeks of August, my boss will have the middle two and our other co-worker is allowed the first two weeks.

I have already booked the Disney Cruise and flights for August 2007. I doubt if will ever take Kirsty out of school again after all this but only have four years left.

Any one else heard? Good luck to everyone else.

Susan

So pleased it all worked out for you!!! :cool1:

My Dd started school today, and i had to give them a letter saying we are on holiday to Florida for 21 days ! They were not toooo happy, but as its reception year, no major hassle.

Next year we can only do 18 nights, as we link half term with the holiday 9 making it only 9 days out of school for DD. It was more to travel when half term was though.

Glad its great nws, now enjoy ! :thumbsup2

Happy it's all worked out finally! At least you can now enjoy looking forward to a fantastic holiday.

What makes me so angry is that schools assume you want to take your children out of school, sometimes its a case of having to because your employers will not let you have any annual leave during that time during the school holidays. We have got the chance of a very long weekend over New Year, but because I work Fri, Sat, Sun I've had to request time off (usually done through my supervisor) but because its a 'special' time of year the 'boss' has got to OK it, and I have to wait until she comes back off her holiday (which she always takes any time she likes!) before it can be cleared or not, and then try and get somewhere to stay. I would willingly go in the holidays if we could get the time off, I think we all would.

Susan I'm so glad that you've FINALLY had it authorised. Why on earth do they leave us holding on for so long?

It took a while for our head to confirm that it was ok. Not sure if I updated you or not at the time but I rang the Head and she said to get a letter written by DHs employers stating that he couldn't have leave during the school holidays. It took about 2 months to get a reply for that.

Still, hey ho.

4weeks and 1 day....here I come :Pinkbounc

Lizzy Lemon said:
What makes me so angry is that schools assume you want to take your children out of school, sometimes its a case of having to because your employers will not let you have any annual leave during that time during the school holidays. We have got the chance of a very long weekend over New Year, but because I work Fri, Sat, Sun I've had to request time off (usually done through my supervisor) but because its a 'special' time of year the 'boss' has got to OK it, and I have to wait until she comes back off her holiday (which she always takes any time she likes!) before it can be cleared or not, and then try and get somewhere to stay. I would willingly go in the holidays if we could get the time off, I think we all would.

I completely agree with this - for many parents, there simply is no way of taking 2 - 3 weeks off during the holidays when everyone wants time off. DF and I both work for the same small company, so it's unfair that we both take time off together in the holidays when so many others have to take time off - sometimes even just to look after their children.

I think schools have to be aware that there are many reasons why parents ask to take their children out from school - and it's probably never because they want to disrupt their education. Whilst the holiday system remains as it is, there is always going to be a problem.

I have all this to come - we have booked to go March 22nd 2007 for 2 wks so dd1 will miss 7 days of school (yr1) my other 2 kids are not at school yet...we have saved alot of money by going 7 days early (as the price goes up on the flights on the 24th March with Virgin) our headteacher is always going on about not taking kids out of school during term time...but at the end of the day, we cannot afford to go otherwise!!! so have the holiday request form, but will not submit until just before the xmas break...I know it will be rejected - but we are going anyway...dd1 had 100% attendents for reception year...and apart from 7 days off for the holiday - and unless she is really sick will also be very good attendents...

I am stressed about it already - but dd1 is a very good girl, she loves to read etc so am not worried about her missing anything to be honest and she is only in yr 1....and it is not like we will be able to afford to go every year...

anyway - keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

nat

I have to agree people don't have the luxury of making a choice of when they take their holidays. Getting school holidays off is a nightmare.

Ang1e said:
We booked our October trip last year in May. At the time DS's school was still allowing 10 days holiday leave.

Since then it has been stopped..
Were the holiday leave days already fixed on a published school calendar when you booked your trip? Or if they were floating (your choice) "holidays" did you already get the days approved before you booked the trip?

If so, after all the letter writing, regardless of what was written, pack up and go.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Thanks for the update Susan. I'm glad it all worked out for you :)

Please can we not let this thread turn into a rights and wrongs of children being taken out of school. That is not what the thread was about.

SeashoreCM - I'm not sure what floating holidays are - I'm not aware we have these in the UK.

In all honesty I don't know anyone who suffered a great disadvantage due to 2 weeks off school for a family holiday. I don't think it's a good idea in year 11 and sixth form personally but for primary I wouldn't give it a second thought. Schools should turn the attention to the kids who are actually truanting IMO.

Miffy2003 said:
Please can we not let this thread turn into a rights and wrongs of children being taken out of school. That is not what the thread was about.

Please note the above :)

The thread will be closed if debate continues.

I haven't read all of this thread... but its the LEA who authorise abscences or not, so the head has little or no power over it.

My niece is also out of school - but she has 10 days authorised, 2 days unauthorised for the trip. Another girl in her year managed to get 14 full authorised days. I have no idea how :confused3 and someone else wasn't allowed altogether.

They know where you're going, you know where your kids are. So I don't really think it matters whether it's authorised or not - it's just a number on the end of year report...

flortlebap said:
I haven't read all of this thread... but its the LEA who authorise abscences or not, so the head has little or no power over it.

I'm afraid that the above is nonsense.

The law is very specific. Only the Headteacher can authorise such absence. Not the Governors and not the LA. The HT has absolute power in this matter.

We must be very fortunate here, our kids have a two week break in October which is why we always go then. Saying that they still need 3 days and I have never had any trouble in the past from the local schools. This has been a god reminder for me to be in touch with the headteachers :thumbsup2

patdavies said:
I'm afraid that the above is nonsense.

The law is very specific. Only the Headteacher can authorise such absence. Not the Governors and not the LA. The HT has absolute power in this matter.

Well I'm afraid that what I said is ENTIRELY TRUE. In our district anyway.

Three kids have been pulled out this year - ALL of them got a letter direct from the LEA, because that was where the head teacher referred them to for permission. The school here don't grant it.

So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I do :)

lin85prest said:
We must be very fortunate here, our kids have a two week break in October which is why we always go then. Saying that they still need 3 days and I have never had any trouble in the past from the local schools. This has been a god reminder for me to be in touch with the headteachers :thumbsup2

I wish our local authority would extend the October holiday to 2 weeks, although schools on the Island of Arran (that I can see from my window and is within the same local authority ) do get 2 weeks for some reason :confused3

I have notified the school that my two will be absent for 7 days and received back the standard letter saying that the absences would be marked down as "unauthorised" which is apparently issued under instructions from the Scottish Executive.

At the end of the day we parents are the only ones who know what is best for our children and no-one should be made to feel guilty for taking their family on a fantastic holiday. How sad that some people's excitement about their forthcoming holiday has been spolied by the attitude of their schools. I do hope that everyone manages to have a wonderful holiday anyway. :cheer2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter