School holidays vs taking child out of school?

We don't take ours out during term time as I work in a school, but didn't before that either as I felt that it was important to follow the rules of the school, but that is just our choice - our kids also wouldn't suffer academically by missing a week or two as they are all on gifted and talented.

I have no issue with those who choose to take term time holidays, as long as they then don't complain about having to face the consequences, whatever they maybe. I think the main issues surround exam times and those who regularly take holidays/extended breaks during term, as this can have an impact on the not only that child but also the others in the class.

Personally though, I think the cost argument falls short if you are going every year, as you could just do what we do and save up for longer to be able to afford to go. However, those who have no choice about when their annual leave is, obviously, should have concessions made.

But as you have all said, you are the parents, it is your choice, and whatever that is, I hope you all have amazing holidays :thumbsup2

Love the fact that nowadays parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school but teachers can go on strike whenever they feel like it.

Um we can't go on strike whenever we feel like it!! There is usually only one full strike day a year and this is only because of the fact that we haven't had a pay rise in years, the government wants to cut wages etc!

Hey guys, just a reminder to keep this friendly. Remember, we have both parents AND teachers/school staff posting on the boards. Let's not start criticising either. As long as the thread stays as a discussion, we will allow it to remain open. If it deteriorates, we will have to close it :)

I have no problem taking kids of out school,I have a problem with the parents who lie and say their children were poorly,rather than request/inform school of their hols.:confused3

My parents never took us away during term time,as my mum was taken on holiday,end of August/beginning of Sept- so she vowed never to do that to us.
Even when we had our tonsils out,it was organised for the summer hols.;)

Personally,we took our girls out of school when they were younger,either before May hols broke up,or before Christmas.
When ds was born,we once during Christmas hols,and missed return to school,ds was very unsettled,really did not like that- so we either took a few days before Easter or Feb.

The majority of our hols have been during summer hols,and when dd2 got older,she actually said she didn't want to miss any school.
Therefore being caring parents we went away without her!:rotfl:
No,seriously,we took that on board,and have since only been away in summer hols.
Even changing holiday dates once,in order to return earlier for jetlagged kids to have recovery time,before new school year began.

However ds has just taken his gcses,and I wish we'd booked to go earlier,been desperate for a break,and could've obviously saved money.
But it's done now,so we'll just look forward to not paying crazy prices in the not too distant future.:wave2:

I'm another American living in the UK. My husband's a Brit though. In 2014 my kids are missing 11 days of school in November so they can experience a proper American Thanksgiving (and so we can get in a trip to WDW). I can't change the fact that Thanksgiving doesn't match up with UK school holidays and I think my kids should have the option to experience the American side of their heritage. Luckily, their head teacher agrees, though I doubt she'll be happy with quite how long the trip is. My kids will be in years 3 and 4 and so far are totally on top of their schooling, so I don't see a huge issue. In fact, for various reasons (illness, medical appointments and a funeral) my daughter missed 15 days of school in total this last year and despite being the youngest in her class was still top in both reading and numeracy. Her brother did just as well, but didn't miss as much.

I plan to take them out sometime for a proper American 4th of July celebration as well. I think learning about the culture their mother grew up in, and getting to know their American family, is more important than sitting in a classroom when they are doing well.

Personally, I never did (except once), but everyone makes their own choices. The one time I did, the class was doing long multiplication and long division. My son found it very hard to catch up and when I did try to help him out, seemingly I was teaching him a wrong method. :confused3
My best friend did something which Im sure none of you would ever do and even she admits it was stupid. She took her daughter to NY when her practical physics A level was on. She missed it totally, got a zero mark but didnt seem fazed at all (as she said she would do well anyway) by it until the A level marks came out in August. Yes, she missed her A grade by one mark and missed her uni of choice. That is carrying it to the extreme though. Be happy with your own choices.

Mags

I'm another American living in the UK. My husband's a Brit though. In 2014 my kids are missing 11 days of school in November so they can experience a proper American Thanksgiving (and so we can get in a trip to WDW). I can't change the fact that Thanksgiving doesn't match up with UK school holidays and I think my kids should have the option to experience the American side of their heritage. Luckily, their head teacher agrees, though I doubt she'll be happy with quite how long the trip is. My kids will be in years 3 and 4 and so far are totally on top of their schooling, so I don't see a huge issue. In fact, for various reasons (illness, medical appointments and a funeral) my daughter missed 15 days of school in total this last year and despite being the youngest in her class was still top in both reading and numeracy. Her brother did just as well, but didn't miss as much.

I plan to take them out sometime for a proper American 4th of July celebration as well. I think learning about the culture their mother grew up in, and getting to know their American family, is more important than sitting in a classroom when they are doing well.

Totally agree, I am a New Zealander and all my family still live there it is a 24 hour flight we can't go just for a week or so over the holidays, if we want to spend Christmas there we need to go for 3 weeks to make it worth while so they miss a bit of school, seeing where I am from, spending time with their grandparents and cousins is very important too.

Kirsten

Personally, before DD started school we had planned to take her out of school for a couple of days before half term in May and October for our FL trips.

Well, DD started school last September and we have just returned from our school summer holiday trip as we made the decision we couldn't pull her out. She had a couple of days off ill and the amount of catch up work was amazing. She is very bright and attaining all the required standards however I wouldn't want her to get behind.

Therefore we have 14 years of July trips to look forward to :rolleyes1

Wow you're lucky my boys school didn't' break for the summer till last Friday !

Wow you're lucky my boys school didn't' break for the summer till last Friday !

Ours broke up on 24th June which is normal here. I will be taking DD out the last 2.5 days next year. I'd rather do that than have her miss the new school year as they go back in mid August so it's really the lesser of two evils. :rotfl:

I'm another American living in the UK. My husband's a Brit though. In 2014 my kids are missing 11 days of school in November so they can experience a proper American Thanksgiving (and so we can get in a trip to WDW). I can't change the fact that Thanksgiving doesn't match up with UK school holidays and I think my kids should have the option to experience the American side of their heritage.

Now I see this as vitally important in terms of family history and heritage! Good for you!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Luckily, their head teacher agrees, though I doubt she'll be happy with quite how long the trip is.

In our case, I have a feeling DD's school is going to be less upset than my employer will :rotfl: We have a max 2 week policy for annual leave and I have got around it in the past by tagging onto a long weekend and stretching an extra day or two beforehand so it didn't look as bad as it was :blush:

We're doing the 4th of July celebrations next year (at Disney of course, lol). It's something I've wanted to do for so long with DD but decided to wait until we were tied to school holidays before doing it and we used the term time options while we could. :)

I would never comment on whether its right or wrong for another family to take a child out of school, I can only say I am 100% certain our Son has gained a lot of knowledge thru his travels abroad. No way would he have learned so much sat in a classroom.
We took Matt out of Junior school 2 weeks every Oct to turn the 1 week off school into a 3 week holiday. Then did the same for his first year sat High School.
A few reasons why we chose to do this(as well as the cost factor):
Whilst being the youngest in the class he was top of everything,
Never had a day off for illness,
A head teacher who off the record said she would do exactly the same knowing how much Matt learnt on his trips abroad.

If he had been a child who suffered with illness or struggled in his work then there is no way we would have done it but I don't regret taking him out for any of our trips.

I think you mean August trips ..... most UK schools don't break for the summer until the end of July ...... sorry :goodvibes

DD finishes school the first Friday in July each year so will be doing July as we can beat the main school holiday price hikes :)

DD finishes school the first Friday in July each year so will be doing July as we can beat the main school holiday price hikes :)

It's likely that for the foreseeable future, we will be there around the same time so we must be sure to keep note of that for trips from now on so we can say hi :)

(Apologies that that is not directly related to this thread, but I've met SO many DISers in Florida over the years and only one ever from the UK!)

Totally agree, I am a New Zealander and all my family still live there it is a 24 hour flight we can't go just for a week or so over the holidays, if we want to spend Christmas there we need to go for 3 weeks to make it worth while so they miss a bit of school, seeing where I am from, spending time with their grandparents and cousins is very important too.

Kirsten

We're spending this coming Christmas in Australia, where DH is from (I'm Canadian, so not quite the same distance). Same flying time so we're leaving with 2 days to go before Christmas (since all they do is watch movies and have parties) and then the first week back in January (one of the days is an inset day). Although my DS's school has stopped authorising family holidays, our understanding is that children with family abroad will still have it authorised. It just isn't fair to expect us to either a) only go for 2 weeks when it takes 3-4 days just to travel there and back and b) only go in August when it's their winter.

We're spending this coming Christmas in Australia, where DH is from (I'm Canadian, so not quite the same distance). Same flying time so we're leaving with 2 days to go before Christmas (since all they do is watch movies and have parties) and then the first week back in January (one of the days is an inset day). Although my DS's school has stopped authorising family holidays, our understanding is that children with family abroad will still have it authorised. It just isn't fair to expect us to either a) only go for 2 weeks when it takes 3-4 days just to travel there and back and b) only go in August when it's their winter.

I love Australia I lived there when I was little and then again working for Club Med on the Islands off North Queensland.

The last time we went back to New Zealand it was at Christmas, we managed to get just over three weeks away with only 5 days off with the way it all fell.

We went back once before the kids were at school in the winter, when we get just bad summers (generally) over here having to go over in the winter and miss out on "summer" is awful.

Kirsten

My son will be missing 12 days next year to go because he has sen so we need to go when it is quieter. We also wanted to go for his birthday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter