School Fines?

wilki32

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know what the fine is if you take a child out of school in term time?

its different for every local education authority - you need to check your school or LEA's policy. If in doubt as the school to point you in the right direction for the guidance their LEA follows.

Thanks Elaine, been trawling websites and because she is 4 and will be when we go it looks like it would be difficult to be fined as technically she doesn't have to start school til the term after her 5th birthday. Technicality I know

i think you're probably right, your best bet is to inform the school well in advance of travel, that way you'll know for definite.

They won't be able to fine you till the term they are 5. That's when it's statutory school age and Education Welfare Officers get involved with attendance. Generally fines will be issued if attendance will fall below 90%. When they are fined it can be per parent per child which can be quite steep. It's best to try and work with the school. They won't authorise the absence but you are less likely to be fined. Hope it goes well :thumbsup2

in our local authority it is not charged for under 5's then it is £60 per child per parent. Hope that helps. If paid immediately that would be £120 for a child living with both parents but the fee goes up if you delay payment.

Mine is the same as pp.

My daughter ( 7 ) is having 9 days off school next year, she is very rarely off school. I'm so worried about her having time off school. A governor from her school takes her children out of school for holidays so what example is that setting? I will even be willing to take some school work with us ( I don't think dd would be happy with that lol )

We will get home on the Wednesday morning and I am sending her back to school on the Thursday. Has anyone had experience with children going back to school! Advice hugely grateful.

Mine has always been fine to go straight back - she went to a friends party on day we landed when she was 6. We are usually back to work day after we land too.

I think you will be fine as she is below statutory school age. I'd just tell them early and say it has been booked since before she started school.

Generally fines will be issued if attendance will fall below 90%.

I realise we might have difference advice as a secondary school, but our LEA requires us to start the process to fine any student absent for more than 10 consecutive sessions (ie: one day is two sessions: morning and afternoon), which means a 5 day school absence is fined as standard.

I know this doesn't apply to OP, because of the age of the child, but it'd worth others bearing in mind. Not all schools are processing fines only once attendance drops below 90%- it possible to be hit long before that happens.

My LEA has the policy about 10 consecutive sessions.

I haven't heard that anyone has been fined from dd 's school before but knowing my luck we will be.

Yes I'm in Lancashire and from what I've heard they are only fining 10 sessions ie 5 days or more.

DD got her 3 days in October authorised (private school)

We are going next April for 2 weeks.
We are taking both boys out of school for a week. It's the week after Easter holidays. The price difference was huge. We also did the same this April and weren't fined. We are always prepared to pay the fine though! They were just fine settling in.

is the fine also weekly or just period of absence ?? i have put in to the budget £120 per child just incase we get fined but i thought it was just a standard fixed rate and not per week ??

i really hope its not per week as we are taking 3 weeks out of school

is the fine also weekly or just period of absence ?? i have put in to the budget £120 per child just incase we get fined but i thought it was just a standard fixed rate and not per week ??

i really hope its not per week as we are taking 3 weeks out of school

It's standard fixed rate.
We take the boys out pretty much every year! For 3wks, I refuse to pay school holiday prices.
Plus dh military and works in a department where summer is mega busy and they won't allow holiday till the end of August.
We've not actually ever had to pay the fine yet, but are always warned about it, our kids are just turned 10,10,13

Why not just lie and tell the school the child was ill, it is for them to prove otherwise.

After a certain number of days they can require a doctor's note for extended absence attributed to illness. Fairly standard where I work after one week.

Also, with calling in at the right time daily, over three weeks in a different time zone, you're likely to encounter some problems.

They certainly cannot fine you until the term after your child has turned 5, as school attendance is not a legal requirement until this point. I took my son skiing and on a summer holiday and whilst the head teacher did threaten it, when I quoted the law she backed down and admitted that she actually could not stop me.

It is £60 per Adult, per child here. So £60 mum, £60 dad for each one child. I don't think they could enforce, however, a fine onto a non resident parent who has no say over the holiday at all.

It's standard fixed rate.
We take the boys out pretty much every year! For 3wks, I refuse to pay school holiday prices.
Plus dh military and works in a department where summer is mega busy and they won't allow holiday till the end of August.
We've not actually ever had to pay the fine yet, but are always warned about it, our kids are just turned 10,10,13
nice to hear !at least 7 days of our trip are school holidays so it could have been worse and had 4 week off!! my dh works away alot so we cant wait to spend so long together

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter