School cancelled due to snow....

matthew&haleysmom

DIS Veteran
and it is not even snowing! We have yet to even get any flurries yet! I hate when we have days like this, only because we will have to make up this day. The children are so excited and keep looking out the door for snow. Maybe, it will come?!;)

We live in Newport News. Last night on the news it said our school system was on 1 hour delay for today.
This morning around 5:30, get the automated call that school was closed. Still no snow.

We are in Norfolk. This is where DD goes to school. I work for Hampton City Schools. Still nothing happening here! I like snow days because as you know they are few and far between; however, what is a snow day with no snow! :confused3

I'm in Houston. If there is even a chance of snow or ice, all the schools shut down. The whole town pretty much shuts down. DH gets mad because he is from Detroit and knows how to drive in the snow. No one else here does, so I'm glad to be off the roads.

Of course this only happens every 3 or 4 years.

I hope snow does come your way! :)

My sister is a teacher and they had a 'snow day' on Friday not because of snow, but because of the extreme cold. She teaches at an inner city school where many of the students don't have proper winter-wear and they are not a bussed district, the students must walk to school. Many people questioned why school was canceled, but I couldn't imagine walking to school when it was 1 degree outside!

I'm in SC, the district I work in cancelled last night and they were only on the edge of the expected snow band lol! The district I live in waited until this morning, when it actually was snowing. What's on the ground now? NOTHING! We got maybe 2" and it's all gone now. Poor kids are so disappointed lol. I don't mind getting a day off, but I will mind having to make it up.

I hope snow does come your way! :)

My sister is a teacher and they had a 'snow day' on Friday not because of snow, but because of the extreme cold. She teaches at an inner city school where many of the students don't have proper winter-wear and they are not a bussed district, the students must walk to school. Many people questioned why school was canceled, but I couldn't imagine walking to school when it was 1 degree outside!

This cracks me up. Last week when it was -24 below we still didn't cancel. Ok..some did, the more rural areas. Not in the cities though!:lmao:

This cracks me up. Last week when it was -24 below we still didn't cancel. Ok..some did, the more rural areas. Not in the cities though!:lmao:

Now, I can see canceling school when it is -24 outside! I would probably freeze to death if I ever saw -24 degrees! :thumbsup2 Today, it never dropped below 30 degrees and we never even got any flurries!! :sad2:

Poor DS,4, keeps hoping it will snow soon!

I'm in Houston. If there is even a chance of snow or ice, all the schools shut down. The whole town pretty much shuts down. DH gets mad because he is from Detroit and knows how to drive in the snow. No one else here does, so I'm glad to be off the roads.

Of course this only happens every 3 or 4 years.

It was that way in Charleston, SC too. Even the hint of snow would close the schools because of the potential for the bridges to ice over which was dangerous for the school buses.

We had a 2 hour delay today because of all the snow. I am glad the kids went because I don't want them to have to make it up in the middle of June!

I was talking to a coworker who lives in SC today. They got a dusting by him and they called off school. All of us northerners were laughing. If we got off for dustings we would be going to school into July. Hope you enjoyed the day off!

I don[t like snow, well I like it when I am snug in my home, but besides that, if I am not visiting Switzerland, I don't want it.

It is now 7:24 still no snow. No rain, nothing. A few years back, they called for snow said my area would get maybe an inch, we got a foot of snow where I live, we measured.

Some time back, we hard flurries while school was in session later on in the day, I thought they would let out early, but they didnt.

Mother nature is going to do what she wants to do, but there goes a snow day. DD10 and I watched the inguration and went to art museum, so the day wasn't a loss.

Yup, got the automated call at 6:27 when DS was at the bus stop. I called his phone and left a message since he had it turned off. I got my things together and was headed out the door to work when I thought I'd stop at the bus stop and tell him to go home. I opened the door to find him standing at the door. LOL! Scared me to death! He found out from some lady driving by. I told him...I hope you didn't get close to her car! No, he didn't.

A snow day without any snow. Hmmmmmmmmmm...and it happens to be Inauguration day. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I'd like to know how many teachers and administrators went up to DC!

Yup, got the automated call at 6:27 when DS was at the bus stop. I called his phone and left a message since he had it turned off. I got my things together and was headed out the door to work when I thought I'd stop at the bus stop and tell him to go home. I opened the door to find him standing at the door. LOL! Scared me to death! He found out from some lady driving by. I told him...I hope you didn't get close to her car! No, he didn't.

A snow day without any snow. Hmmmmmmmmmm...and it happens to be Inauguration day. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I'd like to know how many teachers and administrators went up to DC!

My mom works the night shift and gets off and came home about 6:30. She called to see if school was cancelled. I told her it was. She went outside to tell about 10 middle schoolers that school was cancelled! My mom said the kids started jumping around and screaming. They were sooo excited! :rotfl2:

I work for another school system. We got our calls at 5:30. We were already have a lot of difficulty with the amount of teachers who were not coming to work due to the Inauguration! I don't believe in coincidences! Now we have to make up the day! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter