• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

School and Unexcused Absence!

Thumper43

Mouseketeer
We booked a short trip for Star Wars weekends. My kindergartner would miss the first two days in June. (We thought this would be good because there are only two weeks of school left and he wouldn't miss much.) However, since the two days fall in last two weeks of school, it's school board policy is to deny the absence.

My questions is, has anyone gone to Disney and their children's absence was unexcused?? What happens? Is anything held against them? Is it a big deal??

We thought about trying to reschedule during the Star Wars weekends time frame, however, my husband and I have work commitments that do not allow us to reschedule.

Thanks in advance!!

Our policy with unexcused absences is that on makeup work the highest grade they can get is a 70.

It has never been something that I cared enough about to let it bother me. Especially if my child is in Kindergarten. Everyone is different. Some children have no problems at school, others do. I have taken my son several times almost always unexcused, but he is doing well in school so it does not bother me.

My son's absence for our trip last year was Unexcused. You know what happened? Not a darn thing, lol. :confused3

I don't know if I could have done something to make it an excused absence, but I also didn't care. That said, my son had a LOT of end of the year stuff during kindergarten so you may want to check with the teacher so he doesn't miss anything cool!!

Thanks so much everyone! My son has only missed one day this year because he was sick and he's a really good student, so we may just go even though it will be unexcused. His teacher is a huge Disney fan and said she would go if she could. I just didn't realize the school's policy until AFTER I booked. My fault there...I just didn't think it would be a big deal to pull a kid out of school that time of year.

I took my then 1st and 2nd graders out of school for a week back in October of 2012. They counted it as an unexcused absence. I communicated with the teacher and the school and was able to get their work that they would be missing and we worked together on it on the vacation in our down time. This year, I will be taking them out again (3rd and 4th grade now) for the week before the last week of school. They will not be missing any work at this time, so I am not concerned about them missing five days at the end of the year. With your child being in kindergarten, personally I do not see the harm in missing two days. I believe family time is very important. They will be going to school for so many years with homework, activities, and parent work schedules that may limit time spent together, I feel that taking a couple days out of the school year (before Jr. High) benefits the children and family.

I am an elementary principal and for us it would not affect anything. If there were excessive absences it would be a concern but not for 2 days of Kinder. It should be fine :)

where I teach its unexcused and all grades go in as a zero and no make up work is allowed

I pulled my son out for a trip to Disney last year, the teacher sent work with him for him to complete and hand in which he did. It was still and unexcused absence, but he is a very good student and is a head of his class academically so I had no problem pulling him out of school. This year we are pulling him out of school again for a disney trip in April. His teacher is like go and have fun, all she says is she will miss having him in her class for a week, lol, and she wishes she could come too, lol. Again I will ask for work for him to do...he also does a vacation journal that he hands in for extra credit. Our school is pretty lax on vacation absences as long as the kids can make up the work and are a good student they are usually ok with it. He's only in 2nd grade though. I don't think I would pull him out of school once he hits middle school though.

I honestly don't know if they consider pulling the kids out for vacation time excused or not around here. We never really worried about it. We have taken DD out of school for a week for a vacation each year, and plan to continue until she is much older (only in 2nd now). They don't have much for homework even in 2nd grade, so it isn't like she is going to get zeros.

It's kindergarten and only 2 days, I wouldn't sweat it. Also, IMO, there is no way any vacation should ever be an excused absence. But, that being said, I have no problem with kids who are not struggling in school and who have not missed other days missing a few days or a week to take a family trip. Once they hit middle school it becomes more difficult. We just try to keep it to 1 or 2 days at the end or beginning of a long weekend or school vacation week and we avoid anything during or leading up to standardized testing or midterms.

Ugh! I would do it! How many unexcused can you have? We pulled my son out last year for 5 days unexcused. Of course, he has had strep throat 4x and the flu since then and has missed a ton of school but they are okay with it.

I say take him out. We have taken ours out 2 or 3 times. Most recently this past December and my oldest is in 7th grade. All 3 of my kids teachers were great about it and they made up everything.
Wow, that's pretty harsh that they can't make up anything and they get a 0 for all the missed work.

where I teach its unexcused and all grades go in as a zero and no make up work is allowed

This is the school policy where my kids attend also. With the OP son being in Kindergarten I wouldn't think this would be an overriding factor for effecting his grades.

It's Kindergarten...I wouldn't have an issue at all. We have taken our daughter out for a week each year, but our school district also allows up to 5 days of family vacation as excused absences. We have close friends who exceed those 5 days every year, and there have been no ill effects.

I'm curious about those who talk about getting 0s (or the highest grade being allowed on makeup work is 70)...is that really an issue in elementary school? My oldest is only in 2nd grade and she doesn't get actual letter grades yet, and no scores on homework. I'm just curious when that typically starts.

I have had several students miss school for Disney. They are considered unexcused absences (we only excuse for dr visits or funerals, etc). It's not a problem. Letting teachers know well in advance makes it easier to give make up work. Have a magical trip!

Only way to know is to ask. I can't imagine 2 days of Kinder really impacting anything though.

My girls are both kids that struggle with school and are on IEP's. We are actually missing the first round of MCAS (our state wide standardized testing) for our trip this year. I am not losing an ounce of sleep over this. Mostly because my kids can't handle the anxiety of crowds. They always have a better trip when it is quiet, which is why they are going the week after school vacation, and we always travel mid week to mid week so we only have to contend with one weekend in the park instead of two.
Family time is important, and my kids work as hard as they can. They are in school all day and then have homework and projects.
Nothing will happen, the Truant officer won't knock on your door.
I wish doctor's offices would issue notes for "family time".

Umm, it's Kindergarten. It's 2 days, not a week. In the last two weeks of school. Of KINDERGARTEN. I wouldn't lose any sleep. Have fun!!! It will probably be another two years before we make it to SWW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter