Scattered T-storms????

WILDERNESSWOMAN

Earning My Ears
Just looked up the forecast for the 2 days in May we will be at WDW. Looks like scattered thunder storms, chance is 60%!!! Do the parks close for thunder storms? And do you think this means all day rain? Anyone been in May and could tell me do these scattered storms usually last long? :confused3 Trying not to be disappointed.......

Its hard to say... We are there right now and yesterday was RAIN all day (forcast said THUNDERSTORMS during afternoon) None hit just a constant drizzle. We went to disney quest yesterday and hung out. We were at Animal Kingdom last week when a HUGE storm hit... We just rode Dinasoaur (sp?) 4 times waiting for the rain to let up. I highly doubt many of the indoor rides stop working.

no parks don't close for rain, actually when it's raining that's the best time to do the parks!!! bring rain gear and enjoy.

We REALLY REALLY need any and all rain that we can get down here.

I live in Orlando and the storms we get in May are generally short. They may be strong, but you can usually just duck into a store and wait them out. Occasionaly we get all-day-rain, like yesterday, but that's not common. I wouldn't worry about it!

Thanks for the replies!! I guess it's a good point that maybe the crowds will be less if it's raining. We're just two adults, so I'm sure we can tough it out.

I'm guessing you're going the 25th and the 26th because so far that's the only two days that weather.com has in the forcast. The 10 day forcast changes so often, it's really not a very good predictor of the weather. I'd try back when your trip is five days away or so or check the Orlando Sentinel online because their forcast always seems to be a bit more accurate as I've found in the past. Also, whenever it rains, I RUN to the parks. Many people have a similar mindset that you did or some don't want to deal with wet, crabby children and they go do other things that are indoors. Rain is not so fun I agree, but gets you on the rides fast! :thumbsup2

Yesterday's all day rain was very rare but very welcomed & needed! :cool1:

I wouldn't worry about it overall---most of the afternoon storms are pretty quick, thus why a lot of people call them the "afternoon rinse". :) It's a good time to take in a show, do a bit of shopping or go have a relaxing meal. Rain won't make a person melt, although I'm always amazed by the number of people who leave because of it but that's ok because it just makes more room for me! :teeth:

Nothing closes unless there is lightening (outdoor rides). They do cancel the parades if it is pretty heavy. I have done Disney in the rain many times with my girls they are rain pros. We just throw on the ponchoes and off we go. Most of the rides and shows are indoor so you are not in the rain constantly. The park is usually a little bit less crowded people take there time thinking it will let up.

It's Disney so you have fun anyway!!!

I went in May last year and the forecast said "scattered thunderstorms" for everyday we were there. It never rained once. In past years though, May showers have been generally quick so don't sweat it. Just bring a poncho and enjoy the short lines and take in the shops. :thumbsup2

The rain clears the parks! It's a good thing :)

I live next door to Universal and if it rains for 1 hr+ I sometimes then head to one of their parks after it stops so that I can enjoy it without crowds.

Bring a poncho and have fun. It'll stop raining fairly quickly most every time.

We've gone the past three years at the end of may and just about every day predicted thunderstorms. There's usually just one, pretty heavy rain, but they only tend to last around 15 minutes. Its actually kind of nice because it breaks up the humidy that tends to hover before the storm breaks.

As others have said, the parks do not close because of rain. Just put on your poncho and carry on. While I understand that rain is not what you want on your vacation, please understand that we need rain so bad. It did rain yesterday, but we are far from being out of the woods. The state of Florida is under a state of emergency due to the strong possibility of brush fires. We've had hundreds of acres burn already. One family's home burned to the ground. That being said, WDW in the rain isn't so bad. Have a great vacation and don't let the weather rain on your parade! :)

Ditto what's been said, but had to add a point. You can't control the weather, so why worry about it? You're not going to move your trip because of it and the forecast is really just an educated guess anyway. So don't stress, just go with the flow and have fun!

Around these parts, "scattered thunderstorms" means that somebody else will be lucky to get rain, not us.

DH used to live there and worked as a cast member. He said that rain was so scattered that you'd be driving down the highway in rain, but the oncoming traffic would be dry as a bone.

I'd be more worried about the humidity than the thunderstorms.

I've learned to take cheap ponchos and folding umbrellas to WDW -- rain can come up in a hurry -- but it's usually over quickly. If you have a stroller -- put a poncho over it when you go on rides, etc. maybe held down with a couple of clothespins.

I have been in water parks that closed for the day when lightning was getting to the area -- so if you're going to one on a day of likely Tstorms -- go early in the day just in case.

Well, thanks, I'm feeling better now. I know I can't control the weather, just of course prefer a sunny day. The thunder storms that we get are usually pouring rain all day affairs. If you watch the news, you know that lately we in New England have been getting nothing but rain! It has rained every day this week so far, and will continue through Saturday! We leave on Sunday, and I was hoping to escape the rain, not have it follow me, LOL! Glad to hear it will likely be a short burst. Whatever the wether we'll have a great time.

Forecasters in Florida have the easiest job during the summer, basically EVERY day the forecast is like 40%-60% chance of scattered t-storms, meaning it might or might not rain, if it does it usually isn't an all day thing. That's Florida weather from Mid May through early October.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter