"Scary" rides with baby?

Liltx

DIS Veteran
Has anyone rode the Haunted Mansion with a toddler around 15 months? DD hasn't been afraid of anything except the hair dryer which she is over now but still I don't know. If no one has any advice we will just take turns. Do they have baby swap for this ride? Also are there any other rides without height restrictions that you have found too scary for toddlers?

TIA
Monica

Of course, you know your little one best, but usually 15 months is young enough to not have fears of "scary" things yet. The fears of scary stuff didn't set in with either of my two until around the age of 2 years. My daughter was 19 months on her first trip and my son was 14 months on his first trip. We had no problems with fears from either one at those ages. At 3-1/2 though, my daughter was afraid of her own shadow, lol! We would never have even attempted haunted mansion on that trip!

You should be ok on any of the rides without restrictions, however, I would still test her out on the milder rides first (like peter pan, small world if it is open, pooh, etc) and work your way up. You just never know how a child will react. Many of the rides are dark, which didn't bother my kids at that age, but you never know.

I have to agree with the previous poster. Most babies at that age don't really get that it is scary. They are just in awe of all of the sights and sounds. I have been taking my DS since he was 8 months old and with Season Passes we go at least every couple of months. Now at 3 he has just started showing some signs of nervousness about the HM and POTC.

Dana

I took my son at 8 months old on anything!!
The ONLY thing that he didn't like (HATED) was It's A Bugs Life.
Actually, I did't care for it much either:D

We took DS at 17mo. We started w/ Peter Pan, Pooh, IASW. He just kind of stared at everything..no real smiles, just kind of took it all in. We then tried Haunted Mansion and he did fine just sitting on DH lap. He rode Buzz Light Year and Magic Carpets too. Still just looking like he was in a daze.

I highly recommend the hip carrier from onestepahead.com

We took DD at 16 months and she went on everything that didn't have a height requirement without a fuss. She just seemed to enjoy seeing everything and she wasn't scared. The only things she didn't care for were the 3D movies. She wasn't scared of the movie, but didn't like it when they sprayed water or blew air on you.

I took my son on the Haunted Mansion just this past February when he was 15 months old. No problem.

At 15 months, the only attraction he didn't like was the Mickey's Philharmonic 3D movie. Lots of little ones cried off and on during it as even though it isn't scary, it can be intense and lots of things happen unexpectedly. It was really very loud (even the adults with us thought it was too loud). He also cried when the movie blew the air in his face. He wasn't so upset that we had to leave or anything, but I won't do it again anytime soon.

He thoroughly enjoyed all the other rides, even Pirates of the Caribbean which I thought maybe would have been a problem because of the cannon fire and the small "drop" in the beginning.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

We just got back from a 10 day trip with our DGD (11 month) and DD. DGD rode everything without a height restriction, the only one she cried in was Pirates of the Carrib, and only during the cannons. She just didn't like the noise combined with it being dark. She loved HM and squeeled during the entire ride. Hmmmmm. She had a ball...

We took our 17 month old on it last year. He actually turned 17 months old on the trip. He wasn't bothered by HM or POTC either. He was definitely interested in them, but not scared. :)

The last time we went, my daughter was 2 1/2 and she loved anything that she could go on ... except The Great Movie Ride at MGM. She is really a fearless kid and loves to be scared. It didn't seem to make alot of sense to us since she loved the Pirates ride and the Haunted Mansion, but she really was freaked out by the Oz portion of that movie ride. She actually looked ill when we got off and felt like she had a high temperature. We immediately went to leave the park when she began looking normal again we found she actually had no temperature at all 10 mintues later. She was fine the rest of the day! Strange, but you may want to avoid that one!

We took DS at a year and a half and the only things he was scared of then were big noises. If your child shows signs of being scared, just start distracting him/her. It worked well this last trip when DS - now almost 3 - decided he was scared of HM. So I pointed out the dog, the musical instruments, etc. and he wasn't so scared anymore.

Originally posted by wmarsich
The last time we went, my daughter was 2 1/2 and she loved anything that she could go on ... except The Great Movie Ride at MGM. She is really a fearless kid and loves to be scared. It didn't seem to make alot of sense to us since she loved the Pirates ride and the Haunted Mansion, but she really was freaked out by the Oz portion of that movie ride. She actually looked ill when we got off and felt like she had a high temperature. We immediately went to leave the park when she began looking normal again we found she actually had no temperature at all 10 mintues later. She was fine the rest of the day! Strange, but you may want to avoid that one!

The wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz STILL freaks me out! LOL We won't be taking our boys on that ride for awhile yet...

We took DS when he was about 19 months old. The dark rides totally freaked him out, and there are a LOT of dark rides at WDW. Anyway, we just rolled with it and did the best we could. He's a veteran now at age 7, and loves all the 'big' ride - Mission Space, Splash Mountain, etc....

I'll bet 19 months is the "turnaround point" for many babies! My very same DD who was afraid of nothing a couple of months ago has just this week (at 19 months) decided that she is afraid of thunder! Great! We have had a thunder storm EVERY day for the past week...and guess what's in our 10 day forecast? Yep, thunderstorms and more thunderstorms, chance of EVERY day for the next ten...UGH, lol. Wonder what she'll be afraid of next?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter