scarlett fever

When my dd's were 12 and 3 they broke out with the chicken pox. 3 days later had fever's we couldn't break and a rash. Turned out to be scarlet fever on top of it. Miserable 3 weeks of my life. I was 8 months preg with ds. This was 10 years ago and basically they told me the same, strep gone bad. The ped did say they would be more sucseptible to it but as for everyone else, same as strep..no eating drinking or anything else after that person. I was a maniac wiping off doorknobs and washing sheets everyday. But, they are alive and well and both have had a case of strep since with no scarlet fever.

Hope all is well soon at your house!

Kelly

hope your DD is feeling better soon. I have two kids home with strep today. Took DD6 to the Dr on Friday because she had been up all night complaining about her ear. I wasn't surprised when the Dr said she had an ear infection, but was thrown when they said she also had strep! She had no fever nor had she complained of a sore throat. They put her on Amoxicillin. Sent her to school on Monday and I got a call from the nurse telling me she had a fever. As far as I know, she had no fever that morning. She has progressively gotten worse since then.

I did take her back to the Dr along with my other two DD's to have them checked since they had started complaining about sore throats too. DD9 tested positive, but other than the sore throat, she feels fine. DD17 feels lousy, but tested negative :confused3 . The Dr thinks DD6 also picked some kind of virus that is causing the fever:confused3 I was thinking that the antibiotics were not strong enough, but the Dr disagreed:confused:

No rash with the strep here, but I will be on the look out for it

don't know if it's still the case, but i had a friend and family member who both had it, and ever since any type of dental appointments had to be set up such that they took antibiotics. something about the need to protect them against infection that could lend itself to doing damage. i noticed when i filled out the dental paperwork for us and the kids at a new dentist there was a question about weather we had ever had it, so i assumed it was in order to make arrangements for something similar.

The weird thing is that she never got a fever. That is one of the reason why I sent her to school on Monday cause she did not have a fever so I figure there could not be an infection. She still has not have a fever.

My DD 6 had Scarlet fever about two months ago. I was completely surprised when I was told that she had it. She had no fever and her only complaint was a sore throat and then I saw a rash (which is the reason I took her in). My ped said that Scarlet fever was a rash with strep throat. Apparently they don't have to have a fever..go figure with the term Scarlet Fever:confused3

Anyway, she was fine within 24 hrs of the antibiotics. The rash had started to fade and her throat was much better.

Hope she feels much better soon! :)

I had it when I was 12. I remember being miserably sick in bed for a week, basically too sick to move or drink anything. Then I had what was called an "aftermath" of scarlet fever, in which my the entire palm side of my hands peeled starting at my fingertips. It was gross.
the Dr said that her finger and toes might peel when the rash goes away.

I had a nice two days off from work. My mom is staying home with her tomorrow. I am not sure who will stay with her on friday. The dr said that she can not go back to school until the rash is gone.

Everyone I tell is like Oh my god scarlett fever.

I know, I hear it all the time. I'm a peds nurse and parents become frantic at the words. I wish they'd come up with a new name for it. Scarlet fever, Scarletina, and strep throat are all caused by the same thing. Scarlet fever IS strep throat with a fine red rash. It's no worse and no better than having strep throat, which we all know can make you sick as a dog. But it's treatable and it's actually pretty rare these days for people to develop rheumatic heart disease because of antibiotics.

In older literature(The Secret Garden, Little Women,Little House On The Prairie, etc.) illnesses like scarlet fever or pneumonia were really a scourge. You got well out of sheer will or you became an invalid or even died.And forget cancer or diabetes--you cuold just kiss your *** goodbye! Back then it was not uncommon to lose a child to things like ear infections or infected cuts.:scared1: My own mother failed a year of school due to pneumonia which kept her in bed for a year. She nearly died from a bout of appendicitis at age 6, just before antibiotics were discovered. Today such things would be very rare indeed.

Maybe we need a new set of classics with the scarlet fever written out:goodvibes

My dd gets the rash everytime she gets strep. In fact her rapid tests always test negative and she doesn't have the typical symptoms.

So it is very common.;)

My dd, now 13, doesn't get strep throat, she gets scarlet fever!!! She gets a fever, gets listless, then at night, when that fever gets to about 101, I feel her back. It will usually feel like sandpaper!! That's how I know...she gets rough, red skin. The pedi calls it body strep!!! It's treated the same as strep throat though. No big deal....unless it goes untreated.

Correction: I get strep THEN it turns into SF. And it hasn't happened the last few times I've gotten strep. But, well, other than the fact that I was sick, it made no difference to me.... No itchy.. just my throat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter