"Scariness" of DLR rides?

For BTMRR you can always ride towards the front. Check out the videos on YouTube and you'll see that you're well into the drop before it even begins to pick up speed. Then try the back later ;-).

As an aside, my mom is also a big chicken but after many trips to the park, I finally convinced her to ride BTMRR. She didn't hate it but likely will not ride it again. She still gets scared on POTC! ;-).

Rob

Ahh... Goofy's Sky School was actually the one that I was most scared of in my list, haha. I think the thing that I'm scared of is that I'll go careening off the track, or the "straight down" fall will become a tip and tumble down the hill. Is it really that terrible?! haha

Yes, to me it is that terrible :sad2:

Yes, to me it is that terrible :sad2:

AHHHH, haha. In my head (and on youtube) I'm less scared of Splash and Space than I am of Goofy's Sky School.. something about that ride doesn't sit well with me. My heart wants to do it for Goofy though. Yes I am almost 20, haha :guilty: I was going to do it when it was Mulholland, but my mom went on it and when she came off, she was like "IT FEELS LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO FALL OFF" so I scrapped my fastpass and went on Grizzly twice instead through the single rider line and enjoyed myself. :sad2:

I should also add that Grizzly's spinniness and the drops don't bother me at all :)

AHHHH, haha. In my head (and on youtube) I'm less scared of Splash and Space than I am of Goofy's Sky School.. something about that ride doesn't sit well with me. My heart wants to do it for Goofy though. Yes I am almost 20, haha :guilty: I was going to do it when it was Mulholland, but my mom went on it and when she came off, she was like "IT FEELS LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO FALL OFF" so I scrapped my fastpass and went on Grizzly twice instead through the single rider line and enjoyed myself. :sad2:

I should also add that Grizzly's spinniness and the drops don't bother me at all :)

You might want to try it, hey, who knows, you could like it. :confused3

You might want to try it, hey, who knows, you could like it. :confused3

Haha I think I will. If looking is too difficult... I won't! Thank you for your advice :)

Have any of my fellow chickens here done Silly Symphony apart from Lisa?

I was a tiny bit scared the first time we went on Tower of Terror.

However, I know the DLR resort rides inside and out now. None of them are scary to me.

Now on Tower, I simply lift up my feet at the right moments, lift my arms a bit, and put myself into a ball to feel like an astronaut floating in space for 2 seconds. :) Not scary, just fun!

It's scary the first times though, I agree. Screamin was a bit scary the first few times too, but not at all now and probably less exciting than Tower, though I still love it.

Omg I can't believe you're telling OP who is a 'chicken' to go on Goofy's! I am not at all a chicken. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fast/scary/drop/etc. I go on a ride that's similar to bungee jumping and can't get enough of it.

BUT I HATE HATE HATE HATE Wild mouse rides (goofy's sky school). Holy crap!

I'm one who likes to urge 'chicken's' to try new things but DON'T do goofy's LOL.

Hi Guys - can I ask a quick question over here? Is BTMRR the same at MK at WDW and DL?

I ask because I hopped onto Pirates assuming it was the same and we know how that ended up!! :scared1:

Omg I can't believe you're telling OP who is a 'chicken' to go on Goofy's! I am not at all a chicken. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fast/scary/drop/etc. I go on a ride that's similar to bungee jumping and can't get enough of it.

BUT I HATE HATE HATE HATE Wild mouse rides (goofy's sky school). Holy crap!

I'm one who likes to urge 'chicken's' to try new things but DON'T do goofy's LOL.

Emmers, what is it that you don't like about wild mouse rides? :eek:

This year I want to try Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Goofy's Sky School (yeah, yeah), Jurassic Park at Universal as well as the Simpson's Ride. I will never step near the Tower of Terror or Mickey's Wheel of Death.

Let me preface this by saying I am a huge, huge, huge baby when it comes to thrill rides and because of my severe anxiety it took me until 24 to get the courage to try a roller coaster - period! Rides plain and simply terrify me. Somehow some friends here on the DIS convinced me to try some new rides and I went through it slowly and funny enough I loved them once I gave them a try. I would recommend starting out with Big Thunder (during the day - it's a much different experience at night) and then Space first. If I had done these in a different order I think I would have flipped my lid, but it's like baby steps to me. On my last trip this big scaredy cat even got talked into TOT and loved it (but probably couldn't take it more than once a day or trip).

Hi Guys - can I ask a quick question over here? Is BTMRR the same at MK at WDW and DL?

They are very close. WDW has an extra scene, the flood. They are oriented differently, located in different place in the park too. But because they are so close, I enjoy them both the same. The one thing I much prefer in DL is the shorter waits, but once on the train it's all good for me.

You feel like you're tilting off sideways. For me, that's a chicken's worst nightmare/??!! For me, it's 'fun' but I've always found that the lap bars in those KILL my tummy..pretty 'rough'. I skipped goofy's because it's identical to one we have here (as far as wild mouse ride anyway). I always get off feeling like I've damaged an internal organ LOL

I just can't see many chicken's enjoying this ride..and again, I am a TOTAL 'urger'. I push friends to try stuff I think they can handle. But yeah. no. lol

Okay I'm a big chicken when it comes to rides and I've finally been on pretty much all the attractions listed in here that people may be scared of and they're not to bad.

Now the three rides I'll probably not go on ever again, or make rare exceptions is one ToT. I just hate straight drops and randoms ones you can't prepare for so I'm a big wus even though I've been on it 3 times due to peer pressure from whoever I was with lol

Goofy's Sky, I never rode it when it was the other ride, but lets just say if you're afraid of heights and dislike sharp jerky turns, just pass on this ride. Which I can say I rode it once and yes never again. Hated that ride.

Mickey's Fun Wheel. I hate ferris wheels, went on a non-moving one and that was too much still. At least dosn't last long. But I did it once just to say I did it.

Now California Screamin' is one ride I'd thought I'd never ever ever ride, because I just have this rule that if a roller coaster has an upside down loop, than it's a no go. So many times I avoided, until I got peer pressured to ride it, and aside the take off, and the "wave" part of the ride, the loop was the LEAST scariest, you don't even feel like you went upside down. lol I'd suggest giving this a try if you can enjoy Space or BTMRR.

But I love BTMRR it's so fun and I didn't ride Space Mountain 'till I was like 14 and realized that ride is not even scary. I think what threw me off from riding was just that it's in the dark. But definitely give it a try, I'm sure you'd love it. I got my mom to ride it with me once who doesn't ride roller coasters and she liked it.

But I mean Disneyland probably is the least scariest in rides, especially when you start comparing it with other theme parks. I think everytime you visit should maybe try to take on one new ride at a time.

Can we talk about BTMRR for a sec? I may be able to convince my kids to try this one, but I'm a bit concerned after reading a few things here. Someone said that people have been ejected from this ride? Really? Is there just a lap bar? I would be sitting with the kids, and I worry that the lap bar would not be tight enough for them if it were adjusted for me (I'm not a big person, but I'm an adult and they are not). Do you get tossed side to side? DD tried a "kiddie" coaster with me once, and it was such a jerky ride she was tossed against the side of the ride car and banged her head. So I'm (irrationally) worried about the kids getting thrown from the ride and/or banging into the sides of the ride and getting hurt.

I have been on Indiana Jones once and I recall enjoying it, but this was 12-13 years ago and I don't remember a lot of it. I've watched the YouTube, and I do remember the big drop, but what else is there in that ride that is potentially scary? I highly doubt it, but there's a chance the kids will want to try it and I'd like to prepare them for what's coming. Again, we've watched it on YouTube but so much of it is dark and you can't *feel* the ride when watching it.

Also, since we are all chickens here, and my kids are bigger chickens than I am, is there anything they may be scared of on Pinocchio? I suppose we should YouTube it, but sometimes you miss things on those YT videos.

DS(4 at the time) Is(was) a HUUUUGE chicken. He wanted my arm around him on Pinocchio but did not cover his eyes. It's pretty dark.

I wasn't worried about BTMRR with him (but did hate matterhorn for the kids). I did have my arm around him for an extra 'mommy' precaution lol I think you'll find it's ok for kiddos.

If you like matterhorn, I think you'll be fine on big thunder and even space mountain. Big thunder is very similar IMO and space mountain is similar but much faster. As far as the big drop ones go, I don't find splash scary at all. I have never felt unsafe in it. Jurassic park, I haven't been on that one since I was like 10 and at that point, I found it somewhat scary. I still enjoyed it and would totally go on it again, but I like thrill rides. And Jurassic park is STRAIGHT up and down. And you will get wet. But again, that was like 15 years ago so maybe things have changed or maybe I am remember thing my child eyes. LOL

I have been on Indiana Jones once and I recall enjoying it, but this was 12-13 years ago and I don't remember a lot of it. I've watched the YouTube, and I do remember the big drop, but what else is there in that ride that is potentially scary? I highly doubt it, but there's a chance the kids will want to try it and I'd like to prepare them for what's coming. Again, we've watched it on YouTube but so much of it is dark and you can't *feel* the ride when watching it.

Also, since we are all chickens here, and my kids are bigger chickens than I am, is there anything they may be scared of on Pinocchio? I suppose we should YouTube it, but sometimes you miss things on those YT videos.

For Indie the drop is at the very end, it's not very long (IMO) and I am a self proclaimed chicken.

For Pinocchio my daughter was always scared of the part when the whale comes up

Can we talk about BTMRR for a sec? I may be able to convince my kids to try this one, but I'm a bit concerned after reading a few things here. Someone said that people have been ejected from this ride? Really? Is there just a lap bar? I would be sitting with the kids, and I worry that the lap bar would not be tight enough for them if it were adjusted for me (I'm not a big person, but I'm an adult and they are not). Do you get tossed side to side? DD tried a "kiddie" coaster with me once, and it was such a jerky ride she was tossed against the side of the ride car and banged her head. So I'm (irrationally) worried about the kids getting thrown from the ride and/or banging into the sides of the ride and getting hurt.

I'm a big chicken, and I'll go on Indiana Jones every time. I went on it first when I was 8, and it was really jerky, but fun. The seats are really comfortable despite all the jerking. I'd recommend not sitting on an end if you're nervous, though. Last time I was in the "drivers seat" behind the steering wheel, and the other people in my car (strangers- I do single rider) were joking about my bad driving, it was a blast, but being on the end did make me hold on extra tight.

Last time I was on Pinocchio, there was a family in front of me in line, with a young daughter, maybe around 3-4. She was so excited to go on the ride. I saw them again as I got off the ride, the little girl was in tears. Its a very dark ride, and even though mechanically its pretty mellow, you see a lot of scary things happening. its like taking all the dark parts from the movie and sticking them together on a short ride. if your kids can handle the movie without getting too scared, I'd think they'd be fine.

Can we talk about BTMRR for a sec? I may be able to convince my kids to try this one, but I'm a bit concerned after reading a few things here. Someone said that people have been ejected from this ride?

I'm not aware of anyone being ejected. However, a 22-year-old man was killed in 2003 after a derailment. I believe that was due to neglected ride maintenance (at least according to Wikipedia). But I've never felt that I -- or anyone else -- could be thrown from the ride.

Someone asked earlier about BTMRR at DW vs DL. I've been to four of the five Disney parks in the world and so far the only one I didn't care for much was DL Paris. BTMRR was out on an island, which was kind of OK, I guess. But overall I didn't care for the park. If I were in Paris, I wouldn't make a special trip again.

Rob

I'm a big chicken, and I'll go on Indiana Jones every time. I went on it first when I was 8, and it was really jerky, but fun. The seats are really comfortable despite all the jerking. I'd recommend not sitting on an end if you're nervous, though. Last time I was in the "drivers seat" behind the steering wheel, and the other people in my car (strangers- I do single rider) were joking about my bad driving, it was a blast, but being on the end did make me hold on extra tight.

Last time I was on Pinocchio, there was a family in front of me in line, with a young daughter, maybe around 3-4. She was so excited to go on the ride. I saw them again as I got off the ride, the little girl was in tears. Its a very dark ride, and even though mechanically its pretty mellow, you see a lot of scary things happening. its like taking all the dark parts from the movie and sticking them together on a short ride. if your kids can handle the movie without getting too scared, I'd think they'd be fine.

I'm actually really sad that Indy will be closed when I go this time around - it was probably the one ride I was looking forward to trying the most (apart from Splash)!

Halfwaynowhere (or anyone else who knows), what are the restraints like on Indy/Splash/BTMR/Space? Are they lap bars/shoulder bars/hand rails...?

On another note, I'm 19 and when we round that gd corner in the Pinocchio ride and Monstro comes out at you, and it scares the bageezus out of me. Also, I really don't enjoy Stromboli's evil echoing (and LOUD) maniacal laughter when he "locks you in a cage". That ride caused me some serious nightmares when I was 5. I came out bawling the first time around and it took a few (several) spins on the teacups and Dumbo to get me back to my happy giggly self. Oh, Pinocchio. I'd much rather do Snow White.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter