Scared to cruise now....anyone else?

I was watching the coverage of the Triumph with my family and I asked the kids if this was freaking them out since we're about 100 days out from our DCL cruise. They said nope, because we're on Disney and they would handle it much better. I too believe this but I hope we don't have to find out the hard way! I've traveled on both Carnival and DCL and there was a big difference for us. I do however commend the crew of the Triumph as I'm sure they went above and beyond to make the passengers as comfortable as possible.

Not scared. Just recently got back off of my first cruise ever. I was on the fantasy. Stories like I heard about Carnival make me love DCL even more. I know that can happen to any ship, but Disney maintains their ships very well, and pays great attention to the safety and well being of their passengers. They also take no chances. If they even suspect a problem, it seems to be fixed immediately. Cant wait to cruise again. :)

I feel way more confident with Disney than Carnival. Having said that, I will bring a couple extra things I would't have before. Solar cell phone charger...yes please! Luckily, we got one for Christmas this year and it worked GREAT!!! We've already tried it during an icestorm. Flashlights, extra meds. Spare food for food allergies-wonder how people dealt with that! Would love to hear more ideas!!!

Mickey3Boys said:
I feel way more confident with Disney than Carnival. Having said that, I will bring a couple extra things I would't have before. Solar cell phone charger...yes please! Luckily, we got one for Christmas this year and it worked GREAT!!! We've already tried it during an icestorm. Flashlights, extra meds. Spare food for food allergies-wonder how people dealt with that! Would love to hear more ideas!!!

We bought bottled water on our cruise. It is expensive, but it would be totally worth it to have an extra stash in an emergency. And extra hand sanitizer. :-)

I've been cruising since the 70's and on my very first cruise we visited St. Thomas 2 days after a cruise ship in the harbor had a massive fire and they had to evacuate. When we got into St. Thomas the ship was still there. Didn't scare me then and none of the problems ships have had haven't scared me either. Are there some lines I won't sail on? You bet! But I will continue cruising. I pay attention at the safety drills and know that every crew on every ship have been trained in what to do in an emergency.

Not scared, but I've always been very selective with cruise lines and hotels. Situations like this do make the entire industry more alert and proactive with safety precautions. I am a teacher and you can bet that after the terrible event at Sandy Hook Elementary, all schools take a more refined look at safety of their own buildings and prepare (as best they can) for emergency situations. I am not scared to go to school, but you can bet I've thought about what I could do in my own school. Same will occur with cruising. How would we/ could we be "prepared" in a situation like this. Glad those passengers are now safely off the ship. No lives were lost. We will all live and learn.

No need to LIVE in fear. We never know minute to minute what will happen in life. We could be content in our own house or car and be kidnapped, held hostage and live in miserable conditions. You never know-live to the fullest and deal with anything that might be a few bumps!

I've never been scared to cruise nor will I let the recent Carnival events persuade me to second guess selecting a cruise as a vacation option. The chances of something like that happening are slim.

Carnival...the Motel 6 of Cruise Lines

Not quite, Motel 6 leaves the light on. ;) Triumph had no power. Sorry, couldn't resist.

So far, no one in my party of 9 people sailing on the Triumph in September has wanted to cancel. We figure it will be fully rehabbed and in good condition. It will be my first cruise, so I'll see if I like it.

Not quite, Motel 6 leaves the light on. ;) Triumph had no power. Sorry, couldn't resist.

So far, no one in my party of 9 people sailing on the Triumph in September has wanted to cancel. We figure it will be fully rehabbed and in good condition. It will be my first cruise, so I'll see if I like it.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I visit Mobile, Alabama once a year for the Senior Bowl and i've seen some of those smaller Carnival cruise ships in the port...would not get on one- the ones i've seen are small, dirty and just yuck....

Traveler4Life said:
Taking our first cruise next month and after watching/listening to the Triumph stories I'm getting nervous. I guess these things happen but the excitement of vacation usually overcomes thinking about the what-ifs. Is anyone nervous about cruising now due to the recent incident(s)?

I'm not, but I don't cruise Carnival. You get what you pay for IMHO. Did them once. That was enough.

Zeppelin said:
I visit Mobile, Alabama once a year for the Senior Bowl and i've seen some of those smaller Carnival cruise ships in the port...would not get on one- the ones i've seen are small, dirty and just yuck....

I agree, we saw 2 different carnival boats while in port in Nassau on our first Disney cruise and the both looked extremely run down and dirty from the outside. IMO if you don't take care of the outside of your boat you most likely aren't taking care of the inside either!! I am definitely planning to cruise again with Disney and maybe try Rccl and Norwegian when my daughter is a bit older, but I don't think I would do Carnival even if it were free!!

We were on the Magic this week - sat in our stateroom and looked at updates - considering we passed them Sunday night as they sat there not moving. And no it did not ever cross my mind to be concerned - the people on Carnival paid between $200-$500 on average for that cruise - if you listened to the interviews when they were asked what they paid - I paid well over a thousand per person for my cruise - you get what you pay for. Disney has always made sure things are running up to par - it was not an accident what happened on the Triumph- it was because of poor mainenance of the ship. Disney was doing so much maintenance last week - it is clear they keep up their ships.

I've never been scared to cruise nor will I let the recent Carnival events persuade me to second guess selecting a cruise as a vacation option. The chances of something like that happening are slim.

Don't know if I would say slim - this is carnival's third problem in three years. Off of California - also a fire; remember they own the company that operated the Costa Concordia; and now this - seems to happen quite often for them.

Nope - going on the Allure of the Seas in 3 weeks.

We have cruised Carnival and Princess. Will not cruise Carnival again - not because of this - it just wasn't our thing. Will cruise on the new Diamond Princess - maybe next spring- we have future cruise certificates awaiting our use!

BTW, Carnival owns over 50% of the cruise line market - you will hear of incidents like this more often from them, just because of their market presence.

I am not afraid to cruise. It could happen to any ship out there. I have cruised Carnival 3 times. I will be taking my first Princess cruise in Oct.

The only kind of cruise that makes me nervous is a transatlantic cruise. There's something about the thought of being in the middle of the ocean and getting caught in a storm that scares me.

I'm also scared of rogue waves. I think it has something to do with watching the Poseiden Adventure when I was a kid. That movie scared the living daylights out of me.

That said, I've been on a Carnival cruise before and thought it was okay. And I'd like to do an Alaskan cruise at some point. And I would definitely do a Disney cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter