Scared Silly But Loving It

Would you recommend the train from the airport with luggage?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn and I was thinking of dropping the luggage off at the hotel first then returning the car to a downtown office, but driving in Miami seems confusing.

We are planning on doing just this in May. We will fly into Miami International Airport and are hoping to stay at the Holiday Inn again. Both Metro Rail and Metro Mover run until about midnight. We will have a suitcase, a carry on and a person item each. I am not sure if I would chance it during rush hour, but we are not arriving in Miami until 21:19.

When I worked for Microsoft we had a conference in Miami. All I can say is omg...terrified doesn't go near it...

The art deco was lovely but no not my kind of place. I feared for my life 24 x 7.

I did not get this vibe at all. I know Miami used to have huge problems in the early 90s, but I think they have cleared up their act. I have to say I have only ever been to one place where I felt unsafe and that was Barcelona.

Corinna

WE have been lost in Miami before now ... and the roads are so scary. Had my first ever US driving experience leaving from Miami airport to drive down to the Keys. Managed it with luck rather than judgement.

Can't wait for you to get on the ship and hear what you thought of the upgrades.

WE have been lost in Miami before now ... and the roads are so scary. Had my first ever US driving experience leaving from Miami airport to drive down to the Keys. Managed it with luck rather than judgement.

Can't wait for you to get on the ship and hear what you thought of the upgrades.

I am surprised that driving in Miami as your first US driving experience did not scar you for life. There won't be any driving for us this time round. We will take the train from the airport into the city and then get a taxi from the hotel to the port the next day.

I am just in the process of adding photos to the next installment, which is the embarkation day on the Magic. I will post this later today.

Corinna

I am surprised that driving in Miami as your first US driving experience did not scar you for life. There won't be any driving for us this time round. We will take the train from the airport into the city and then get a taxi from the hotel to the port the next day.

I am just in the process of adding photos to the next installment, which is the embarkation day on the Magic. I will post this later today.

Corinna

It nearly did .... nothing like an 8 lane freeway to completely freak you out. It was fine once we got on the US 1 down to the Keys.

Look forward to installment later on today :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Glad you had a better experience in Miami! Barcelona Las Ramblas all those poor animals in cages freaked me out...

Glad you had a better experience in Miami! Barcelona Las Ramblas all those poor animals in cages freaked me out...

We did not even get as far as Las Ramblas as I was totally freaked out. I loved Sagrada Familia and the Gaudi architecture, but other than that the city did not really do it for me and had something distinctly sleezy about it.

Corinna

We did not even get as far as Las Ramblas as I was totally freaked out. I loved Sagrada Familia and the Gaudi architecture, but other than that the city did not really do it for me and had something distinctly sleezy about it. Corinna
yes Sagarada was great but my goodness we thought that builders in the UK took a long time lol. I prefer Venice myself and Munich was an underestimated surprise.

Day 12

This was the day I had been longing for, but until the 11th hour there was some doubt that this would actually happen. This was the day we would get on the Disney Magic. I woke up at around 5:00 AM and needed to go to the bathroom. I looked out of the window to see if the Magic was already there, but all I could see was a ferry that had already been docked the previous day. When I came back from the bathroom, I saw another cruise ship pull in, but there was still no sign of the Magic. I went back to bed and I was just dropping off to sleep again when Graham told me that he thought he could see the Magic. He had woken up and needed to go to the bathroom as well. So I got up again. Initially I was not too sure, but soon I could clearly see the Mouse funnels. We watched as the Magic got into position and docked. We took a few photos in the process. Once the Magic was securely tied up, we went back to bed and fell asleep.

We woke up again around 8:00 AM and the first thing I did was look out of the window. I wanted to make sure that the Magic really was there and that it was not all just a beautiful dream. She was definitely there and I took some more photos. We got ready and reorganized the hand luggage. I attached the luggage labels to the bags that we were going to check in and we both needed to sign the cruise contract. Then we just chilled out for a bit. I played with my iPad for a bit.

By 10:00 I started to get restless. There was a ship in port and I knew that the port would open about 30 minutes later. I think Graham realized that he would not keep me in the room for much longer and I think he had started to get sick and tired of just sitting around. So we gathered up our stuff and headed out to the lift. Our room was very close to the lift, but we had to wait a little while until the lift came. Fortunately when it did, it was empty. We went to reception to check out and then we went outside. There were a number of taxis right outside the hotel. The port is not far from the hotel, but it was too far to walk with our luggage and in any case, I was not sure if one could actually walk there. So we got in a taxi and we were on our way.

Once we got to the port, porters approached our taxi and they unloaded our stuff and whisked it away. The port had not opened at that point and there was an impressive line. I left Graham near the end of the line and I went off in search of my friend Michelle. I was really excited that we got to cruise together again. We had cruised together in 2009 and had plans to cruise together again in 2011, but that unfortunately did not happen. As soon as I walked towards the terminal building, I saw her girls so I knew they had arrived. I walked around for a bit and saw her a few moments later making a phone call. I stayed nearby and once she had finished her call, we finally got to meet in person again. She took me over where the rest of her family was and we said "hi". Not long afterwards, there seemed to be some movement by the doors to the terminal and I headed back to join Graham.

The line did not seem to shift at all. I have now sailed out of 6 ports and with the exception of Vancouver, this was the slowest process. They checked the cruise documents and passports at the door and were pretty thorough about this. This is what caused the hold up. Once we were inside, it was up the escalator and through a short line for security. We ended up meeting up with Michelle and her family again. I am not sure what had happened there, as they were quite a way in front of us, but it was nice to be able to chat while we waited for our turn. Once we were through security, we were looking for the concierge check in. This is one of the nice perks that come with being a Platinum Castaway Club member. We were directed straight to an empty check in desk. Check in was pretty smooth. The member of port staff that assisted us had to go and find us some Platinum lanyards and then handed us our Key to the World cards and our boarding card. I could have squealed with joy. We got boarding number 1. Normally boarding number 1 is reserved for concierge guests and Platinum Castaway Club members get boarding card number 2 or even number 3 on busy sailings. I also spotted that we were due to have dinner at Carioca's that evening. Before the cruise I was in two minds about the changes and based on the concept art, there was not much that I thought I would like. However, when I saw the concept art for Carioca's, I instantly fell in love. I was glad that we would have our first dinner there.

Once we were checked in, we found a seat. As soon as we had sat down, one of the DVC staff came over to talk to us. He asked if we were members and we confirmed that we were. True to form, they had no record of us. He did add us to the list though, gave us some lanyards and told us when the Member Celebration was taking place. As he just was getting ready to say goodbye, Michelle and her family joined us. I was very impressed with the terminal. I absolutely love Port Canaveral and any other port that we have cruised out of has not quite matched up to this. I think Port Canaveral still has a slight edge for me, but Port of Miami comes a close second. I love the layout of the waiting area and they have some interesting artwork.

I decided to have a walk around to see if any of the characters were out. This is very different at the Port of Miami. The characters had a separate room where they would meet people. Captain Mickey was out and he had no line whatsoever. So I jumped on this. Even though I had met plenty of characters in the parks, getting the first hug from Captain Mickey is always extra special.

I headed back to join the others and we chatted for a while. There is a walkway with floor to ceiling windows above the waiting area at the far end from where we were sitting and suddenly I spotted Minnie walking past. I pointed this out to one of Michelle's girls and then I headed off to the room where Captain Mickey had been. This time there were a few more people, but it was still a short line. I met with Minnie and then I waited at the far end of the room until Michelle and her family were done. We walked back to where the rest of our families were sitting and sat down again.

Shortly afterwards, the Family of the Cruise was announced. This is normally the sign that boarding is about to commence. I got rather excited. I could not wait until I finally could see in person what they had done with the Magic. Just after the Family of the Cruise boarded and before boarding number 1 was called, a cast member walked up to Michelle to ask what boarding number they had and told them to come with him. They got to board straight after the Family of the Cruise. Once this had happened, they called boarding card number one. We headed to the exit. We had to go up a level and then walk along the walkway where I had seen Minnie earlier. At the end of that walkway, the photographers had set up for the embarkation photos. We were directed straight to a photographer. I really like how the embarkation photo came out.

Then it was time to actually get on the Magic. I was both nervous and excited. One drawback with the Port of Miami is that the boarding level is actually on deck 4. At one of the ports in Alaska we got back on the ship on deck 4 and this was complete chaos so I was not looking forward to this. Even though it was not quite the same as walking in the atrium on deck 3, this worked well. They still announced everybody and then you walked across to the port side. I got my first look at the atrium. I was prepared to hate it, especially as they removed the Chihuly chandelier, but it actually took my breath away. As much as I loved the old atrium, the re-imagined version was truly stunning. Graham initially thought it looked a bit lopsided with only one staircase, but it soon grew on him and by the end of the cruise, he really liked it.

One thing that really surprised me is that they directed us to Carioca's. With one exception, when we boarded late, we have always eaten at Parrot Cay. However, they always try to redirect people to the buffet on deck 9. This has become kind of a standing joke in our family. So I was very surprised and almost a little disappointed that Cabanas was not even mentioned. I am always looking forward to hear what the excuse for sending people there is. Still, we were planning to eat at Cariaco's anyway so this just made things easier.

As we approached Carioca's, I straightaway spotted a familiar face even though he was dressed up as an elf. Edward is my all time favourite server. We had him as our server in 2009 and then saw him all around the ship during our two cruises in 2010. He got off the Magic at the end of our Transatlantic cruise in 2010 to go to Germany to be part of the opening team of the Dream. He had been on the Dream and the Fantasy ever since. As we have no interest in the large ships, I did not think that we would ever see him again. In October I found out that he was transferring back to the Magic and as soon as the cruise was booked, I requested him as our server. It was great to see him literally as soon as we stepped foot on the ship. He was on hand wipe duty, but as it was still quiet, we had. Quick chat.

Once some more people arrived, we said goodbye and headed inside Carioca's where we were seated straightaway. I loved this space as much as I thought based on the concept art. I have always really liked Parrot Cay, but this is now much brighter and airier. Lunch was nice. Graham had some salad and his beloved Peel and Eat Shrimp first whereas I headed straight for the hot food. I had some Marinated Chicken, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, Penne in a Feta and Tomato Sauce and some Roast Beef from the Carvery. I also swung by the kid's table and had some Corn Dog Nuggets. Graham then went back and got some Chicken, some kind of Fish, Roast Beef and Vegetables. I had some more of the Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, some more Corn Dog Nuggets and some Spaghetti with Meatballs. We both had some dessert, but it was not very memorable and I cannot even remember what we had.

After lunch, I had something to take care of. I had booked our Palo dinner for the evening that I thought was Pirate Night. I had been looking at Navigators from previous cruises doing the same itinerary that we did and Pirate Night was on the same day as the stop in Cozumel. When we got our first Navigator, which also had an overview for the whole cruise in it, I noticed that Pirate Night was actually on the same day as our stop in Grand Cayman. We were staying in Cozumel until about midnight and that was the reason for the change. This change threw up two potential problems: we had to spend Pirate Night in the dining room, which we don't like and we would have missed dinner in the re-imagined Animator's Palate. So after lunch, we headed to Palo to see if this could be changed so that we still would spend Pirate Night at Palo. Whenever we cruised before, we had to go to one of the clubs to make changes or get a reservation. This time round, the Navigator stated that those things needed to be taken care of at Palo. As we were aft anyway, this was easy. We headed straight up to deck 10. The Palo manager Francesco remembered us from the previous year and we had a short chat. It was no problem to make the change. While we were there, we also requested a server. The previous year, we had an amazing server for all three meals in Palo. I had heard through the grapevine that Susanna had recently returned to the Magic after her holiday and I asked if we could have her again. Francesco was only too happy to oblige. With business taken care of, we said goodbye to Francesco and went exploring.

We decided to take a turn around deck 10. There had been quite a few changes. They had installed a number of sunroofs. I never quite knew what to make of this. As I am fair-skinned and burn easily, part of me welcomed the new additions. On the other hand, I have never had a problem finding a shady spot outside either on deck 9 or better still on deck 4, which is one of my favourite spots to hang out. So I think they could have left deck 10 for people who are looking for some sun. The other issue is that the supports for the sunroofs take up quite a bit of deck space. Add to that the fact that the splashdown area for the Aquadunk slide is on deck 10 as well and they have lost quite a bit of deck space.

Soon we were on deck 10 forward. I wanted to have a look around the spa to check what they had done to this area. Graham was not really interested, but as it was still a little while before the cabins opened, he decided to come with me. We went down to deck 9 and were asked as soon as we got near the spa if we were interested in a tour. We said that we were and there was one that was just about to start. Up to that point, I had loved everything I had seen even though I was not sure how practical some of the changes were. That changed very quickly. We have always loved the spa and there were cruises when we almost lived up there. The spa always was a bright, peaceful and welcoming space on the ships. When the concept art for the changes that they were planning to make on the Magic came out, I actually rather liked what they were planning for the spa. However, this turned out the one thing were the concept art was nicer than the finished article. They have added a lot of dark wood and instead of the feeling of warmth that they had tried to achieve, it just turned the whole spa dark and dingy. I had planned to get a pass for the Rainforest Room, but by the time I had finished the tour, I no longer had the wish to do so. I also had planned to have my hair put up for the dress up night, but I even lost interest in that. I just had no wish to spend any length of time in the spa.

One thing I did have to take care of though. I normally have a gel-based polish on my nails that gets cured under UV light. Not only does it look great and lasts for two to three weeks, but it also adds strength and protects my nails, which are extremely brittle. I had my nails done about a week before we left for the holiday and by the time we got on the ship, there was visible growth and some of the nails had chipped quite badly. As soon as the polish is gone, the nails also break and I was missing quite a chunk out of a couple of nails. I had found out in 2011 that they offer this service on board and so I decided to have my nails redone. After the tour I went to reception to see when I could get an appointment. I was expecting that they would ask me to come back at some point during the safety drill, but I was offered an appointment 15 minutes later. I was only too happy to accept. I gave my hand luggage to Graham and told him that I would meet him back in the cabin in time for the safety drill.

I was handed a questionnaire to fill in and as soon as I had done this, the nail technician came to get me. They use one of the brands of gel polish that I am used to from home. They did not have any of the colours with glitter, but I ended up with a lovely frosted red and really liked the result. Better still, I was not charged for soaking off the old polish so even with the automatic tip that they now add, I paid the same as I would at home.

Once I was done, I headed down to the cabin. This was a huge surprise. I knew that they had swapped out some of the furniture. The main change was the bed. They had gone for the same kind of bed that they have on the new ships. Those beds can no longer be split into twin beds. They are also bigger and higher of the floor. This was great as we could just put the luggage underneath. The bedside tables are now smaller and wall-mounted. There is also a rather big chest of drawers in the room now providing loads of extra storage space. Even with the bigger bed and the extra piece of furniture, the cabin felt more spacious.

There were a couple of nice surprises when I got to the cabin. First of all, one of out suitcases had already arrived. This was the earliest we ever got our luggage. When I entered the cabin, I spotted a new Castaway Club gift on the bed. Over the last couple of years, the main gift had been a blue backpack. Although I love the one I have dearly, after the first one, I either gave it to somebody else or returned it to guest services. This time round we had a black and cream beach bag. In the bag, we had a Memory Book, which is a foldable photo album, which can either be kept in the box or hung on a wall; a highlighter pen and a magnetic dry wipe board with a dry wipe marker. I really like this gift. I found out later that the bags come in three different colours based on your Castaway Club level. The bigger and nicer surprise came in the form of two pieces of paper though. We had two on board credits from Disney Cruise Line: one for $25 and one for $75. I still don't understand why we got this as we had booked this directly through Disney about 4 weeks in advance. We should not have qualified for any onboard credit, but I was most certainly not going to argue the case.

After I had a good look around the cabin, I got my camera and headed out again. On the way, I met our stateroom host and I asked him if we could have a corkscrew. I then headed off to deck 5. One area that had received a major makeover was the kids' clubs. I wanted to have a good look around and take some photos. The first surprise was that the entrance had been moved. This no longer overlooked the atrium. I headed to the Oceaneer's Lab first. This was always the plainer area, but they did a great job with this and it looked much more inviting. Most of the room was an open space with some tables in the middle for arts and crafts activities. There was an area off to one side with a huge screen and comfortable beanbags. The last area was taken up my computers at looked like treasure chests.

When I had seen enough of this area, I headed over to the Oceaneer's Club. They have done an even better job with this. They had divided this into various themed rooms and this looked a lot brighter than it used to do. There was a Mickey Mouse Club area, a Pixie Hollow area, a Marvel Academy area and Andy's Room. I absolutely loved Andy's Room. I would not have needed too much encouragement to stay there.

There was on last area on deck 5 that had received a makeover and this is the nursery. I had high hopes for this. The original nursery on the classic ships was an afterthought and from what I gather was relatively quickly thrown together. Still, Flounder's Reef was a beautiful space. So I had high hopes for the new nursery, which now has an It's A Small World theme. As this is one of my favourite rides, I was even more excited. Well, this looks more like it was thrown together in a hurry than Flounder's Reef ever did. This and the spa were the only disappointments as far as the new Magic is concerned.

I took some photos of some of the Christmas decorations on deck 5 and then I headed down to the Promenade Lounge for our DIS Meet. Although it had never been a very active cruise meet thread, there were some people that I was really looking forward to meet. This was not to be. The only people that had shown up were Michelle's family and I. Still, it was nice to get some time to catch up. Unfortunately I never met any of the others.

Time flies when you are having fun. As our cabins were all forward, we headed in that general direction together. This was the first time I got to see the re-imagined adult entertainment district. I had never really liked Beat Street, as this was far too dark for my taste. I much prefer Route 66 on the Wonder. One element that I always have loved is Sessions and I was a little sad that this was gone. I have to say that I like After Hours a lot better. It is still quite dark, but looks a lot classier with brushed steel and some beautiful chandeliers. We also had a peek into two of the clubs. Rockin Bar D had become Fathoms, which is a truly stunning space with cozy booths at the back and light fittings that look like jelly fish. We also had a look at Keys, the piano bar that replaced Sessions. Even though I always loved Sessions, I like Keys even better. Unfortunately we never managed to get a drink there.

I headed back to the cabin and Graham arrived shortly afterwards. He had already tried out the swimming pool. Our entire luggage had arrived by that point. He quickly got changed and shortly afterward the alarm sounded to signal the beginning of the safety drill. For once this was really well organized. They swiped my Key to the World card as we approached the assembly station and asked how many people were in my party. We were then sent to line up. This was strictly in height order with the tallest people at back. I could not believe my ears when the person who had checked us in told the assembly leader that everybody was present and accounted for. In the previous 11 cruises, this had never happened. I asked the assembly leader later if this happens regularly and she said that this is the first time that this had happened to her since she joined Disney Cruise Line. Unfortunately the other assembly stations were not quite so well organized and we had to wait for a while to see if any more people would arrive. Eventually the crew at the assembly station demonstrated the use of a life jacket and then there were some announcements from the cruise director before we were dismissed.

Everybody was heading towards the top decks. We decided to wait for a bit for the crowds to clear. I wanted to have a look at the area around the shops and the Walt Disney Theater anyway to seen what they have done with this area. We had a wander and ended up midship. They moved the Future Cruise desk to the starboard side of the ship and created a really nice seating area next to it. The DVC desk is now where the Future Cruise desk used to be and is a bit more permanent. They also changed the seating area on this side, but it is not as nice as the one on the starboard side. We decided to sit down near the Future Cruise desk for a bit until the crowds had dispersed. A bit later, I decided to head upstairs as I wanted to hear the horn. Graham was happy where he was so I left him to it.

I have never really got the sail away party or other deck parties and normally avoid them. As the ship seemed to be relatively empty, I decided to have a look. I stayed up on deck 10 and it did not seem overly crowded even on deck 9. Michelle and some of her family saw me and came over to say "hi". I chatted with them for a couple of minutes and once they headed down to deck 9, I decided that I had seen enough. I headed forward. I was just about to head for the stairs near the adult pool when I heard the countdown followed shortly afterwards by the horn. This is really the sweetest sound I can imagine.

Once I had heard the horn, I headed back to deck 4 to find Graham. He was no longer there. I headed up to our cabin to see if he was there, but there was no sign of him. I figured I would soon enough catch up with him again, grabbed my camera and headed back to deck 10. By the time I got there, we had already started to slowly move. Miami has a rather pretty skyline and I was treated to a lovely sunset, too. Better still; I got to hear the horn a second time. Miami definitely makes it into my top three ports to sail away from after San Francisco and Vancouver.

When we were out to sea, I headed back to the cabin. I decorated our door with the magnets that I had made and put up our door spotter. I had problems with the magnets staying on the door during our last three cruises and therefore decided to try something different. Ever since I started to decorate our door on cruises, I had made the magnets with the magnet cartridge for my Xyron Creative Station. This time I opted to just laminate the graphics and stick magnetic strips to the back. This worked much better on the door and also ended up cheaper. After I had decorated the
door, I unpacked. I wanted to send a couple of gowns for pressing. Normally I very rarely unpack while I am on a cruise and tend to live out of my suitcase. This time round with all the extra storage space and the added incentive that I could hide the empty suitcase under the bed, I decided to unpack. This did not take very long.

By that time, the first characters for the evening were due to be out. Minnie was out in her nautical dress and Goody was out shortly afterwards in his sailor outfit. So I went to see them both. I still had a little bit of time before the next thing I wanted to do so I went back to the cabin to chill for a bit taking some photos on the way. While I was back in the cabin, I got changed. There was a distinct Christmas theme to some of my outfits. That night I decided to go with the red dress that I had worn at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, but I wore a faux fur shrug with this. I found this at Marks and Spencer around the time of my birthday and just fell in love with it. It was not cheap, but I have already got a fair bit of wear out of this and it is one of my favourite items of clothing. It seems a little silly to bring a faux fur shrug to a Caribbean cruise, but I had expected that I would need it for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and in any case, it can be quite chilly in the dining rooms.

One thing that caught my eye on the Navigator was King Triton's Tree Lighting Ceremony. I was in two minds about this as I figured the atrium would be crazy busy, but I also knew that this may be my only holiday cruise and I would regret it forever if I missed out on this. So with about 15 minutes to go, I headed down to the atrium and found myself a spot where I was slightly out of the way, but also had a clear view of the tree. I am glad that I made the effort, as this was truly magical. Some of the kids were picked to help with this and then slowly the tree and the other Christmas decorations in the atrium were lit up.

When King Triton's Tree Lighting Ceremony was over, I headed back upstairs to see some more characters. Daisy was due to be out next by the Walt Disney Theater shortly followed by Goofy. I had expected that they would be in their nautical outfits, but I was delighted when they were wearing their holiday outfits. Indeed, this was the only time I saw Goofy in his holiday outfit. I was glad that I had opted to change into my own holiday outfit before heading for King Triton's Tree Lighting Ceremony. While I waited in line for the characters, I spotted something new. They have always sold popcorn at Preludes, but it was the pre-packaged type. This time round they had a popcorn machine outside Preludes and were selling freshly popped, hot popcorn. I don't even like popcorn, but this smelled delicious.

Once I was finished with Goofy, I headed back to the cabin to put on some shoes. Graham arrived just in time for dinner. He quickly got changed and then we headed for Carioca's for dinner. At that stage we still did not know if my request for a specific server had been honoured. However, once we arrived at Carioca's, Edward escorted us to our table. We also saw another server that we really like. We had Sompong during our Transatlantic cruise in 2010 and he was amazing. Indeed, it had been my intention to request him as our server until I found out that Edward would be returning to the Magic. It turned out that he was in the next section along so we saw plenty of him and he always made a point to come and say "hi". I was delighted that my request had been granted. Edward introduced our assistant server Putu to us. We did not have any tablemates. This was the first time this happened to us on the Magic. We had not sat down long when another familiar face appeared. Neno had been our head server on our cruise on the Magic in 2012 and he was our head server again. It took us a couple of days to warm to him in 2012, but by the end of the cruise, we had really come to like him. So I was happy that he would be looking after us again. Unfortunately he did not come with good news. There had been some mess up and a family group had been split up. He asked us if we would be willing to move tables. I was not quite sure if it would mean moving tables and maybe joining another party in the same section or moving somewhere different altogether. I asked if we would still stay with Edward and at that stage he realized that we actually had made a request for Edward. He disappeared and then came back shortly afterwards to advise that it was all sorted now and we could stay with Edward.

Dinner that night was the Let The Magic Begin menu. This is one of my favourite menus, but is normally only served on the cruises that are longer than 7 nights. So I was delighted that we were served this on a 5 night cruise. The menu had changed quite a bit since the last time we had this and indeed all menus had changed since the summer. Mainly they have changed for the better. Graham had Clam Chowder with Sour Dough Croutons followed by Grilled Grain-fed New York Strip with Cheddar Cheese and Onion Smashed Baked Potato, Roasted Green Asparagus and Red Wine Jus. I could have sworn that he would have made Edward pick his dinner, but he actually chose for himself all cruise although he was often guided by Edward's recommendations. I had Chicken Bastella, which is Moroccan Spiced Shredded Chicken wrapped in Phyllo-dough and sprinkled with Powdered Sugar and Cinnamon served with a Vegetable Almond Slaw followed by Chilled Mango and Papaya Soup flavoured with Passion Fruit. As I had not got my beloved Chilled Strawberry Soup for lunch, this was a worthy alternative and was utterly delicious. For my main course, I had Pork Tenderloin Wellington, which was Roasted Pork Tenderloin wrapped in Mushroom Duxelles, Crepes and Puff Pastry with Potato Gratin, Roasted Baby Vegetables and a rich Bordeaux Wine Sauce. My favourite dessert on this menu, the Pistachio and Kona Coffee Mousse is unfortunately no longer available, but the Kahlua Chocolate Crème Brûlée with Cinnamon Shortbread Cookies was pretty nice, too. The food was much better this year and was of a comparable standard to the Wonder where the food is normally always a bit nicer.

Once we had finished our dinner, we said goodbye to Edward and Putu and headed over to the atrium. I wanted some photos. They had the moon backdrop up, but better still, they took photos in front of the Christmas tree and the Gingerbread House. It also turned out that the photographers taking the photos in the atrium that night were familiar faces from the Wonder. How things change. Nowadays I can be on the Magic and be delighted when I spot people from the Wonder. It used to be the other way round. Although the re-imagined Magic quickly reclaimed the top spot in my heart, the Wonder is the ship nowadays that feels like home. Both photographers did a great job and I love how the photos came out. Those were just the first in a series of stunning photos.

Once the photos were done, we headed back to the cabin. It had been another long day and we were ready for our bed. I took some photos of our towel animal and got ready for bed. I quickly checked out the Navigator for the next day while Graham got himself sorted out and then we both fell into our very comfortable bed.

Yay, I'm so glad you are finally on the ship. I know how much it meant to you to finally get on after the nail biter on booking. Anxious to see more of your pictures of the Magic after the changes. I'm booked on her again in September for one of the Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan.

Jill in CO

I can just feel the excitement of getting onboard! The new areas look surprisingly beautiful. I'm sad you didn't care for the spa :( what a fabulous first day of cruising :)

Great update! Loved reading about Miami port and The Magic. How nice to cruise with your friend Michelle once more and seeing Edward your favourite server! Well dine for swapping out Palo's we were not fans of Pirate night either. In fact I read many dislikes makes you wonder why they still continue! Shame about the spa :-(

Love the little Pixie hollow.

That was so cool to get photos with Captain Mickey and Minnie. At PC the lines are always way to long and I have never scored one! Well done :-)

It all looks rather nice ... I don't really like change and loved the Magic as she was so I don't know how I will take to the new designs, mind you by the time May comes around I will just be grateful to be on board after so long.

You certainly packed a lot into your first day! Thanks for sharing all the pics; the Magic has undergone a lot of changes.

yes Sagarada was great but my goodness we thought that builders in the UK took a long time lol. I prefer Venice myself and Munich was an underestimated surprise.

I have never been to Venice, but Munich is a beautiful city.

Yay, I'm so glad you are finally on the ship. I know how much it meant to you to finally get on after the nail biter on booking. Anxious to see more of your pictures of the Magic after the changes. I'm booked on her again in September for one of the Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan.

Jill in CO

Yes, after all this "Will we, Won't we", it was all the sweeter to be on the shop. I can promise you that you won't be disappointed in the Magic.

I can just feel the excitement of getting onboard! The new areas look surprisingly beautiful. I'm sad you didn't care for the spa :( what a fabulous first day of cruising :)

The spa was a huge disappointment. It is great reliving the excitement knowing that less than three months from now we will be in Miami again getting on another ship

Great update! Loved reading about Miami port and The Magic. How nice to cruise with your friend Michelle once more and seeing Edward your favourite server! Well dine for swapping out Palo's we were not fans of Pirate night either. In fact I read many dislikes makes you wonder why they still continue! Shame about the spa :-(

Love the little Pixie hollow.

That was so cool to get photos with Captain Mickey and Minnie. At PC the lines are always way to long and I have never scored one! Well done :-)

I am a bit in two minds about Pirate Night. We love Pirate Trivia and I love all the characters in their Pirate costumes and dressing up for the photos with them. I am not so keen on the Pirate menu and the noise in the dining room and I most certainly don't get the deck party.

It was such a bonus to get to see people I deeply care about.

It all looks rather nice ... I don't really like change and loved the Magic as she was so I don't know how I will take to the new designs, mind you by the time May comes around I will just be grateful to be on board after so long.

This is much the way I felt about this before we got on the Magic. I loved the ship as it was and I have so many happy memories connected with her. I was quite cynical about the changes when the first concept art came out. Here is a post from my pre-trip report that kind of highlights how I felt about it all:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=49225530&postcount=25

I have to say within 5 minutes of being back on the Magic, I was completely won over. Yes, there are a couple of changes that I don't care about, but on the whole this was a huge winner for me and you can't please all the people all the time.

Corinna

You certainly packed a lot into your first day! Thanks for sharing all the pics; the Magic has undergone a lot of changes.

The first day does offer some opportunities that I usually would not get for the rest of the cruise like being able to take photos in the kids' clubs so I try to get as much done as I can.

Yes, the Magic has rather changed. There will be more photos on the second sea day.

Corinna

What a great start to the cruise. WOW! You sure got some stunning pictures of you and Graham. The photographers definitely did a fantastic job.

Love your room and what you've shared of the Magic.

Looking forward to more.

What a great start to the cruise. WOW! You sure got some stunning pictures of you and Graham. The photographers definitely did a fantastic job.

Love your room and what you've shared of the Magic.

Looking forward to more.

There are plenty more stunning professional photos to come. Since 2010, I have always got the photo CD for every cruise. This is my favourite souvenir.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter