Scared of Coral Reef, What other world showcase?

ktturner

With a Smile and a Song
OK, Coral Reef was amazing when I went there as a child. But all the reviews here, and the horrible rap it gets in the UG, is making me seriously reconsider. :scared: I have 2 preschoolers, and will be going for dinner the night we will be touring World showcase and watching illuminations.
SO, I'm looking for a 1 TS meal that is in world showcase. I'm thinking of the Teppanyaki Dining room in Japan b/c I know the kids like that and I know we'll get our money's worth. (we will be using DDP--though not free)

Thoughts, advice, reviews, HELP????:confused:

Thanks a ton. . .

I would recommend trying Coral Reef again. From about 2000 - 2003 it did have many bad reveiws, and did seem to be sliding a bit. However, it has since turned itself around and is once again an Amazing place to eat. I'm sure your kids would love it as you did.

Also, you should know that if this trip is before September then Teppanyaki is currently closed for renovations and will be until August 25th.

Good luck, and don't be scared, Coral Reef is my favorite restaurant in Epcot, and maybe WDW. I have been there many times in recent years and it has always been wonderfu.

Have to agree w/ the above, I was there last Dec. w/ 2 4 yr olds and 4 adults and we all loved it. I'd go back in a minute!

CR was my favorite meal on our last trip and I have it booked again this year. My DD, who was 4, loved trying to identify the fish in the tank and watching the divers.

Dont be scared!!:scared1: The coral reef has come a long way and I think most people were dissappointed w/ the menu change but are still happy w/ the overall experience.. As much as we loved Teppanyaki, I thought Coral Reef was great. imo: You really cant compare the atmosphere of the two. Watching a chef that throws onions in his hat is great but being next to a tank filled w/ beautiful fish is so much better!
I also think one great restaurant to try out is the San Angel in Mexico... I think the food and atmosphere is good and you can watch the boats go by on the water... Whatever you choose I hope you have a great time! :goodvibes

We had dinner at Coral Reef last week. It was our first visit to this restaurant. It was a wonderful experience. The food was delicious yet the atmosphere was the thing that won me over. My kids as well as I loved seeing the fish, the sea turtles and scuba divers, yet the what I enjoyed the most is that it is cool relaxing place. The lights are low, restaurant fairely quiet for a Disney restaurant and it was a great place to have dinner and relax for awhile. Not only did we have a great meal but it was a great place to recharge after a day in the park. Hope you will reconsider.

coral reef has vastly improved over the years

we're going in october - have read several reports that the steak and prime rib are both very good, as well as the desserts

I agree with what others have posted, we had never considered CR because we don't eat much seafood. But, our family all enjoyed their meals and the service was some of the best we had all week.
The atmosphere of the resturant is wonderful and we had a very relaxing meal topped off with a delicious desert.
We have made ADR's for our trip next month and we are looking forward to it very much.

Bev

We're also doing Coral Reef for the first time; were hesitant because we'd heard the food was once not as good as other EPCOT choices, but many reviews of late have given it raves. We're looking forward to trying it and our sons will love seeing the fish, I think.

We just went in Feb. of 07 and Coral Reef was awesome. I have a post somewhere about it. We too were thinking about not going due to poor reviews and we were so glad we didn't cancel it was our DN12 and DS4 favorite meal. We also thought the main courses beat some of the ones we had at Le Cellier. We are going back in Dec. and we will have DS4 birthday dinner at Coral Reef.

OK, Coral Reef was amazing when I went there as a child. But all the reviews here, and the horrible rap it gets in the UG, is making me seriously reconsider. :scared: I have 2 preschoolers, and will be going for dinner the night we will be touring World showcase and watching illuminations.
SO, I'm looking for a 1 TS meal that is in world showcase. I'm thinking of the Teppanyaki Dining room in Japan b/c I know the kids like that and I know we'll get our money's worth. (we will be using DDP--though not free)

Thoughts, advice, reviews, HELP????:confused:

Thanks a ton. . .
Honestly, unless the restaurant is a feeding trough all-you-care-to-eat location the UG usually hates it so I really wouldn't put much faith in their opinion. While everyone has different tastes and not everyone will enjoy the Coral Reef the vast majority of guests there have a wonderful meal and experience.

We ate lunch there a few months ago. We thought the food was fair to poor and that it had declined from our last visit. For example, the shrimp appetizer was $9.99 as I recall. It contained three medium size and rather listless shrimp on a wilted lettuce leaf. Nothing to write home about, believe me. Nonetheless, our boys enjoy the aquarium and viewing the fish immensely. So, we go for that reason. And, we'll go again.

I agree with most of the posters on this thread. You should provide your children with the same experience you enjoyed in the past. The Coral Reef is an excellent restaurant methinks.

Enjoy.

I have to agree with everyone else, CR is probably the best restaurant that we have been to in Epcot. My family loves watching the fish and trying to pick out each one, this is a great way to pass the time until the food arrives ;) . I would recommend this place to everyone. Our last visit was the first time we went there, and we are going back in June...my DH has said that this is a restaurant that he has to go back to at least once during a trip to WDW. You at least have to go there for the Chocolate Wave, that is the best dessert that I have had ever, anywhere :thumbsup2 .

The chocolate wave, as pictured, is a warm dark chocolate cake with a white chocolate grand marnier center with chocolate ganache, and white chocolate ice cream. It is heavenly...

Edit: I was going to post a picture but it told me I had to low of a post count... there is a good one of it on wdwdisneyw.co.uk

What exactly is a Chocolate Wave? I'm guessing, just from the name, that it's calorie-and-fat-free. ;)

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Wouldn't that be great if that was the fact, or even better wouldn't that be great if ALL WDW deserts were like that, instead of gaining weight while on vaca, maybe I would loose weight :banana:

Also, you should know that if this trip is before September then Teppanyaki is currently closed for renovations and will be until August 25th.

Thanks! I found those dates on one part of the DIS board, but on the DIS main page where you link to the menus it says until July 14th? I figured I'd poll opinions and then if I decide to change my ADR, I'll ask the cast members when I call, but have a few things ready!

Thanks for your advice.:goodvibes

Wow, thanks everyone! I was getting very nervous, but I'm convinced. I'm gonna go with my first instinct and share this special place with my kids.

I find that the things that meant so much to me when I went to WDW as a child (every year with my grandmother, mother and brother) also made me feel the best when I brought my girls last year. It's almost like having them with me again to share it with 3 (2 DDs and 1 DH) of the most important people in my life now. I guess I was scared it wouldn't live up to the memory and not be good enough for them.:confused3 just call me the paranoid planner. How can anything at WDW not be good enough when it is your preschoolers' second visit?!?!

I'm relaxed now and even excited to try this again. Thanks a ton for your adivce. And we'll try the chocolate wave, the calorie and fat free version availble only at WDW of course! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter