Scared of baby falling out of ride

zhazhazsu

DIS Veteran
DH, DS(13 months) & I are leaving for DS' first trip on 12/10! I am so excited, however DS is very very active & " spirited". He gets very excited when he sees something he likes & will sometimes lunge at things & or try to jump out of my arms. He loves water & music & lights. I am concerned he will try to throw himself off the rides & injure himself. I am thinking about wearing him on the rides so he will be safe, however at 26 lbs he is too heavy to be worn comfortably in the mei tai for long. Any suggestions/ reassurance?

I believe that you are required to remove any infant from a carrier on all rides. I wouldn't worry about it. You are mom, and can keep a strong grip on your LO arm/leg/torso. I'm sure there were more spirited kiddos before yours, and so far, Disney's track record is pretty good about kiddos not leaping off rides. ;)

Thanks for the info letsgoreds. I think I will hold DS & have DH hold onto both of us. Just for reference,we went to the Science Museum today & he got so excited about the music he threw himself backwards head butted me & gave me a fat lip!

I understand your concern, but trust me, you'll be OK. :goodvibes

I have THE MOST spirited little boy I've ever encountered, he is NEVER still, and in eight trips I haven't lost him off a ride yet. :rotfl: That's not to say I haven't had a death grip on him, and he hasn't tried to take a dive into the water at Pirates, but if you can sit in the middle of the boat/vehicle it really helps.

You might also want to consider a Backpack/leash, I always feel more secure when I both have an arm around him, and the leash wrapped around my hand.

we just got back-- we wore our 10 mos old on many rides. On Dumbo we were told that she had to be out of the carrier and facing forward. That is the only one we weren't able to wear her on.
I will say- when I was wearing her it was difficult for the bar to come down as far as it should have.
She is also a lunger- I felt more comfortable with her in the carrier.

~Awww, my kids are in elementary school and I still try to hold on to them. :rotfl: You'll be fine, there is nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution, just make you are having fun & try not to worry too much! :goodvibes

On any attraction the child is allowed on, make sure he is seated between you and your husband so he is in the middle and not on an outside edge.

Also, duct tape may work.

We went in Oct. with our then 4 month old and we had to take her out of the carrier for the rides. We are going back in Dec. and will see what happens then. There were a few she could stay in it and I think they were the ones without lap bars. I will say my mom had a funny fear of me taking her on the Pooh ride and her being bounced out. She was fine and I'm not sure why my mom was scared for her to ride that particular ride.:lmao:

I think he would be safer and be able to see more out of the carrier and under the lap bar. Well at least you would be safer from him giving you swollen lips or eyes.

On any attraction the child is allowed on, make sure he is seated between you and your husband so he is in the middle and not on an outside edge.

There are tons of great new patterns of duct tape! I'm sure you'll be able to find patterns that will match all of his cute little outfits. I don't know if there are any Disney patterns, though. ;)

DH, DS(13 months) & I are leaving for DS' first trip on 12/10! I am so excited, however DS is very very active & " spirited". He gets very excited when he sees something he likes & will sometimes lunge at things & or try to jump out of my arms. He loves water & music & lights. I am concerned he will try to throw himself off the rides & injure himself. I am thinking about wearing him on the rides so he will be safe, however at 26 lbs he is too heavy to be worn comfortably in the mei tai for long. Any suggestions/ reassurance?

Don't take him on those rides if you are afraid of him falling off. But his behavior seems to be normal for his age so he should be ok, haven't heard of any kids falling off the rides.

And the CMs watch! I have a very active daughter and DH was being to "lax" while they were riding the magic carpets - they stopped the ride and discreetly told DH to hold on better (I could have killed him then but I can laugh about it now!!)

Ha! I remember DS2 giving me a serious black eye (same unpredictable leaping). Have a great trip! Good to know about the babywearing...I just recall reading on this board about someone having to remove a sleeping LO from a wrap before riding some ride...good to know that it is currently acceptable.

The rides are so short that you will be on full alert for them. Have fun!

~Awww, my kids are in elementary school and I still try to hold on to them. :rotfl:

You should have seen me on WDW's Space Mountain the first time. DS was in front of me and had to deal with me trying to keep him in place (despite the fact that he was in place and restrained by the bar) the whole ride. And let's not even talk about us on Rip Ride Rockit at Universal. :headache: (I'm better now, I think...it was just our first time on those rides and I was scared)

Electrical tape hurts less when you take it off, I hear.

But his behavior seems to be normal for his age so he should be ok, ....

Agreed.

If he's outgrowing the meitai, get an Ergo or Beco! Not as much stretching out, easier straps IMO, and they can take more weight. (and consider back-carries while walking in the park when he's nice and awake (or if you have someone vigilant who can tell you if he's getting sleepy and head-noddy)! it's much easier to deal with weight on a back carry, at least for me)

That said my son would not take more than a minute of sitting while being worn, so it would NEVER have worked for us, even if the CMs allowed it.

Soon enough your reflexes will get fast enough to protect your lip from being hit, by the way. :)

Thanks for the info letsgoreds. I think I will hold DS & have DH hold onto both of us. Just for reference,we went to the Science Museum today & he got so excited about the music he threw himself backwards head butted me & gave me a fat lip!

Al kids do that. I think all moms have had a fat lip. Don't stress-he won't behave any differently than any other kids his age and they have all survived Disney's attractions.

Holy crap my 2.5 year old weighs that much. Dont bother with the sling just hold on tight, its not like him lunging at something will be a surprise

I wore mine in an Ergo until he was 2. When he went at 2 we just held on tight!!! Have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter