Saying Goodbye to our Grandson Today

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
Well, the day I've been dreading for months is finally here.

Our grandson is making the rounds to tell everyone goodbye, as he is leaving for San Diego tomorrow to become a Marine.

Don't get me wrong, I am super proud of him but it's so hard to say goodbye. We are a close family and we have seen him often over the years he has been growing up. And we've never had anyone in our family join the military so aren't familiar with what to expect.

We are hoping to fly out for his graduation in September, but DH is a farmer so it might be around harvesting when it happens so we're not sure yet.

I just pray for his safety and well being, and hope I can keep my emotions under control while I'm getting my last hug for awhile. :sad1:

If you've gone through this in your family, I would love some encouragement.

Our grandson is making the rounds to tell everyone goodbye, as he is leaving for San Diego tomorrow to become a Marine.

Don't get me wrong, I am super proud of him but it's so hard to say goodbye. We are a close family and we have seen him often over the years he has been growing up. And we've never had anyone in our family join the military so aren't familiar with what to expect.

We are hoping to fly out for his graduation in September, but DH is a farmer so it might be around harvesting when it happens so we're not sure yet.

I just pray for his safety and well being, and hope I can keep my emotions under control while I'm getting my last hug for awhile. :sad1:

Been there done that. My son joined the Marines Reserves in 2007, 4 months after he graduated from high school. He has changed so much and has grown into such a honorable young man. Good Luck grandma and I am sure he will be fine.

Right now my son's unit has been put on alert due to all the stuff happening in Iraq right now. He has been all over the world and they have practically paid all of his college cost to obtain his Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Now he has a great job at our local VA Hospital. He just signed up for another 6 year hitch and was promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

I am so proud of him as I know you will be grandma:hug::hug:

I haven't gone through it myself but I do offer :hug::hug: an strength to get through it.

Been there done that. My son joined the Marines Reserves in 2007, 4 months after he graduated from high school. He has changed so much and has grown into such a honorable young man. Good Luck grandma and I am sure he will be fine.

Right now my son's unit has been put on alert due to all the stuff happening in Iraq right now. He has been all over the world and they have practically paid all of his college cost to obtain his Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Now he has a great job at our local VA Hospital. He just signed up for another 6 year hitch and was promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

I am so proud of him as I know you will be grandma:hug::hug:

God bless your son and all whom are serving. :grouphug:

Oh Grandma! Here's a hug for you! :grouphug:

I've been crying for two days as my son told me he wants to enlist in the Navy. They are selfish tears for myself, I know. He asked me for my support and I cried and I gave it to him. Just listening to him talk about his stress over his student loans and then not having anything - and still being a waiter after he graduates, I listened. But I cry myself to sleep. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Here Grandma ~ Grandmas love their grandsons dearly!! :flower3:

Aw, yes I know the feelings you are feeling! My brother in law (DH has 4 brothers -- this is the third oldest) enlisted into the Air Force last year. My MIL didn't take it well, and tried to talk him out of it (for her own fear)....

I think the biggest thing you can do is just be there for him. It's ok to cry, but it's also good know that he's doing something he's wanted and/or felt called to do. The hardest part for us is being supportive and yet not being scared to death of what he may encounter. It's all part of the deal. I definitely don't pay too close attention to what is going on overseas. The fear that the media instills in us is just totally unbelievable..... :sad2:

We will definitely be praying for your grandson (and you guys too!) as you all go through this transition. I hope that you guys can make it out for his graduation!

Please thank him for serving our country! There is no greater sacrifice out there! :hug:

I thought I replied to this thread yesterday, but I guess it didn't go through. My son is a marine and I cried for days after he left for boot camp.
Marineparents.com is a good place to find info. As soon as you get his address write letters to him.
Then, when he says its ok you can send him care packs. I sent him envelopes, stamps, power bars, Individual Gatorade packs and those cushioned insoles for shoes. I read to wait until he said it was ok to send him anything.
I worried about him everyday, but was so proud of him. And I stalked the mailman waiting for his letters.
Try to make it to graduation, it's amazing.

My youngest son is a Marine. His boot camp graduation was the most beautiful experience and I was honored and humbled to attend! Congratulations to your Grandson and your family. Now my grandson is about to embark on his Marine Corps journey….Semper Fi and a sincere Thank You to all our military!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter