Say it isn't so

pghkris

Earning My Ears
I just read on Easy WDW site that pool and kid slide at Stormalong Bay will be closed for the entire month of Jan. Please tell me that there is separate kid pool area that they are talking about. Does this really mean the whole pool will be closed? For my entire trip?!?! It said something about guests probably being able to use the Boardwalk pool and a shuttle being provided. Oh I could just cry! This is my family's first deluxe stay and a bit of a splurge for us. Does anyone know anything about this? I need to think before I call Disney directly. Thanks for any info!

There is a separate children's pool and slide, but honestly, if swimming were a top priority I'd rethink January. It has gotten down to 30-40F the last few winters I have visited and they do close the pools.

I found this posted stitchkingdoms.

The pool and kid slide at Stormalong Bay at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club will be closed for refurbishment from January 3, 2011 through February 2, 2011 while the pool side at the Boardwalk Inn and Villas will be closed for refurbishment from February 7, 2011 through March 16, 2011.

During this time, guests may continue to make full use of the remainder of the pool and quiet pools and may opt to use the pool at the alternating resort if the use of a slide is desired. Traditionally speaking, a shuttle is offered between the resorts when the pools undergo refurbishments.

It is not that swimmng is a top priority....but if you are staying at a place with such an awesome pool (from all I have heard), then if the weather is nice, it would be heartbreaking not to be able to try it. I think the cool weather and low crowds of Jan easily outweigh swimming, no matter how nice the pool.
thanks for you help---I feel better knowing it is not the whole pool.

FWIW they try to rehab SAB during the cooler months of Jan/Feb , which is another reason I try to avoid Disney during those months.It seems they rehab the same stuff in those months over and over again ( Splash Mtn is notoriously down in those months)

I have to agree with a previous poster: if going in January, you might not get to swim at all, even if the pool is open. It could be warm enough for a day or so, but probably won't be, in my experience. I'd really look into a resort where the pool isn't such an integral part of the experience, and you could save some money doing so. I'm not a huge fan of Beach Club/Yacht Club, except for the pool. So if the pool was out, I'd be very disappointed being there. Just my $.02.

My first trip to WDW was in January of 2000 (I was 9) and we really only had one good day for swimming so we used that day to go to Typhoon Lagoon. It wasn't the warmest, but it wasn't freezing. The rest of trip wasn't too bad, but from looking at the photo album, we wore sweatshirts for the most part.

I'd worry about the parks more so than swimming, but it wouldn't hurt to swim if you have a really nice day. :)

My Dh and I just got a letter yesterday about the pool because we have reservations for 3 nights in Jan. We were there 2 yrs ago same time and they were doing the pool then too. It was definitely not warm enough to swim when we were there, plus we don't have our kids. But it was not the entire pool, just a section.
We loved Beach Club when we went! Especially if you love Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter