Saving the Castle Cake Topper

Aside from keeping hungry family and friends away from it?

More seriously, my family has bought me little things out of chocolate before that are just just *too* cute to eat. As long as I kept them cool and sealed in plastic, they lasted for years. Then I realized, this is like a 5 year old piece of chocolate and I pitched it.

In summary, if you get it sealed somehow, I think you'll be all set.

There have been some past brides that purchase either a plastic or glass dome for them. Then kept it in a glass cabinet of some sort.

I think an easier solution would be to buy a castle cake topper and EAT the chocolate one they'd give you... I mean, it's a nice gesture to save it, but a 10 year old piece of chocolate WILL get moldly! ew.

I have a chocolate Mickey and Minnie Mouse in my glass cabinet for many years now. They are both in some plastic packaging (the kind they also put around gift baskets), in a glass cabinet but not in an air conditioned place.
After all these years, they are not molded.

I have kept a chocolate bunny for many many many many years like that, it wasn't wrapped, and I had put it on a piece of cardboard, since the oil in the chocolate tends to come to the surface, and I didn't want to stain my shelves. It fell apart when I tried to move it, it had dried out completely.
My dad has kept a chocolate steam train for 10+ years.

As someone suggested: get a glass dome, but it on something flat, glass dome over it, and once it gets that dried out look, don't move it too much!
This should work just fine (and this comes from someone from chocolate country)

I have my castle cake topper sitting my my china cabinet. Its not in an glass dome or anything. 4 years later, it still looks perfectly fine. But when I actually look at it, and think about how its a 4 year old piece of chocolate, I wish we had just eaten it when it was fresh! :rotfl: Now, I'm not sure what to do with it, so I just leave it in the china cabinet. I suspect the next time we move, it won't be coming with us.

Anyone have any good ideas for preserving the white chocolate castle?

Chocolate will hold indefinately given the proper conditions. It needs to be below 87 degrees, but not refrigerated. No direct sunlight. It can be wrapped in cellophane, but not too tight or you create a greenhouse effect. Chocolate doesn't really mold, but the fats at the surface will "bloom" or create a chalky white appearance.

We have ours from our anniversary cake in the freezer. We are going to make it into fondue!! It ended up breaking when it came off the cake and I ate some of it on the way home... it is yummy and we are not big white chocolate fans.

It's under a glass dome in my dining room. Has been for almost 2 years and it looks perfect. :thumbsup2

Where did you get something big enough to go over the top of it? I have been searching and searching.....

My castle, even though it was hand carried got broken to a million places. If you keep your house warm it may get a bit mushy. I would put it in a dome, just in case you live like me in the south where we have bugs.

We had our reception in the LIving Seas, and our cake was filled with sea shells and the like. For our cake topper they covered it in a light brownish granular sugar so it would look more like a sand castle. Fantastic. After we cut the cake, the server asked me how I was taking the topper home. When I asked him to cut it up and put some on everyone's cake plate, he looked at me like I was crazy. It turned out fantastic though as most people didn't even realize that it was edible! So the apprecation of the guests was much better for us than eating a 10 year old piece of chocolate at some point in the future. I would recommend eating it at your wedding.

-Wayne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter