Saving on food at Disney

Thanks for all the ideas. We are skipping character meals this trip (unless we decide to splurge and plan breakfast at Tuskar House - our favorite from last trip). My oldest 2 kids are 9 & 11 and not interested in the characters, but my two little boys 5 & 2 may convince me. I do have sit downs planned for T-Rex, the Plaza, & Via Napoli. I'm not going to pack an entire lunch or cook in our condo, that's my treat during vacation! I'm looking for some counter service menu items that I can add to the drinks, fruit and snacks I bring with me to make a meal. So far my ideas from looking at the menus & suggestions
1. Animal Kingdom: egg rolls or corn dog nuggets; splitting 2 adult meals from Flame Tree to feed the whole family
2. MK: waffle sandwich (anyone tried these? I've haven't seen them before), corn dog or hot dog
3. Epcot: sandwiches from Boulangerie Patisserie, kids split;
Thanks!

Maybe you could go to Tusker house with the younger kids and your Dh could take the older ones to do more rides the little ones can't.At least that way you are only paying for three meals instead of 6 and I'm not sure but would the 2 year old be free:)

But where do you eat these meals? On a park bench? Disney doesn't provide picnic tables that I am aware of.

While we have not brought lunches to WDW, I've read that people go into Pecos Bills or the tables outside of Caseys or the ice cream place or Tomorrowland Terrace and use their tables. The CMs have not told them anything.
There are counter service restaurants in all of the parks where people bringing food in could eat.

Be our Guest at MK for lunch. Just ate there last weekend and thought it was a great value. I am going to assume that if you are sharing and considering snacks for = meals you are not big eaters. We are the same way. My husband usually gets his own entrée, but my 11 year old and I share and my 2 youngest share. I Got Steak sandwich at BOG and it was huge for 8.79. Steak not real thick but large piece of bread and fries. I only ate half. 2 of my kids could have easily split it. You can also add a gourmet cupcake for 2.39 each. It was a very magical dining experience for counter service and very affordable. If you like the menu, consider having the kids splitting an adult entrée. Also, I regularly have my 8 and four year old share an adult counter service, especially if they want chicken nuggets, the adult ones are so much better and filling and it always seems to be enough.
Drinks- we either bring waters and juice boxes(we can't get used to the ice water there) or share drinks. We don't usually have soda at home so getting a coke with lunch or popcorn is considered a treat. But we learned our lesson that if everyone gets one it cost as much as we would normally spend on a meal and we end up having to throw half of it away because the ice melts and we are ready to get on a ride. So we get two drinks for the 5 of us and drink our waters or juice boxes.

I can't say enough good things about flame tree bbq- the pork sandwich is outstanding. my husband is crazy about the ribs. A wonderful albeit strange snack to get there and share would be the fruit plate and onion rings. The fruit plate was huge, with watermelon, fresh pineapple, berries and a great dipping sauce(so refreshing) and well the onion rings, just yummy. Eat down by the water. While they usually taste stale, a churro at AK is my families favorite snack.

Our typical epcot meal(and I use the term loosely) is to eat our way around the world. One order fish and chips(we all share), one pastry each in france(usually under $3), one sampler plate at counter service morocco, 2 orders dumplings in China. And if still hungry at the end, one order of nachos in mexico.(This is basically spread out snacking/sampling over2 hours or so.). Otherwise we eat at sunshine seasons. Kids share Asian and a really good fruit and cheese plate.

(However, for us, any idea of a budget is completely shot after we get the beer in England to go with the fish and chips, the wine in france, etc(adults only of course) The snow cones in Japan are my kids favorite epcot snacks.

While we have not brought lunches to WDW, I've read that people go into Pecos Bills or the tables outside of Caseys or the ice cream place or Tomorrowland Terrace and use their tables. The CMs have not told them anything.
There are counter service restaurants in all of the parks where people bringing food in could eat.

This may not work if the parks are really busy though. Or if you end up there when the CMs are not allowing people to sit at tables unless they buy food first.

We eat ours while walking, in long lines or waiting for shows to start (mostly at DHS).

The problem is you DID pay for it, you just paid for it up front instead of at the register! Not knocking the food plan, but everyone pays for it, even during "free dining" you are still paying for it because instead of a room discount they are giving you food, for some the cost of the meal plan works out to a better deal and for others it doesn't.

:goodvibes:goodvibes

So I totally get eating breakfast in your room which we do often and even dragging snacks into the park but bringing buttered noodles in a thermos into the parks does not sound like much of a vacation! Wouldn’t it be easier just to go back to your room and eat things like that if you must especially since you had a 2 bedroom villa?

Honestly it is still a vacation, I don't mind taking 5 mins to boil water, another 5 mins to cook the pasta and then toss in some butter. You wait a lot longer than 10 mins in line to order food and then actually get it. I don't like leaving the parks unless i'm going back to the hotel for the night (which we did on a couple occasions), I think it is a lot of wasted time to leave the park and all that entails, get back to the room, cook the meal, then have to trek back to the park. That to me is not a vacation and is far more time consumming. None of the meals I made took more than 15 mins to make and i'd do that while the kids were finishing getting ready for the day (we aren't early risers) and I was drinking my coffee. I was also able to better control what my kids were eating and was able to give them somewhat more nutritious meals for a fraction of the cost.

And for the PP who asked where to eat the meals, you can eat in any quick service location. We would eat at Peco's Bills, Cosmic Rays, there are a bunch of tables in Liberty Square, over in Tomorrowland there are a ton of table and chairs under the Tomorrowland Terrace just to name a few. At EPCOT Sunshine Seasons is a great place to sit down. At Animal Kingdom there are tons of tables and chairs placed thoughout the parks, one in particular is right outside the safari, another is over where the Flame Tree BBQ is. And at Hollywood Studios there are lots of places. I just tend to find a place near where we are whether it be outside a ride or inside somewhere. You don't have to buy food at the quick service location to sit down, and a CM is never going to come up to you and tell you that you have to leave, regardless of how busy it is (granted I am always there off season and don't tend to eat at the "normal" times). Often someone in our party will buy a soda or a side of FF to eat with their food, but not always.

It is one thing to take a table without purchasing a meal when the parks are empty, it totally rude when people who have purchased food are wandering trying to find a place to sit.

Our next trip is a no DDP trip. We want to see if we can spend less than $700 on food for the two of us over a 7 night trip. I think we can do it. We already have plans to split CS meals and drink ice water as well as limit our TS meals to a max of 4 meals. Of course will also have to limit my tasty libations. Ah well.

My dh & I spent just a little over $600 for 10 days at Disney right after T'giving. We ate what we wanted and when. We are not huge eaters, but did not split meals. We don't eat large meals every day, and definitely do not eat 3 meals a day, but like to eat snacks for some meals (hey, this is vacation;)) We weren't planning on a certain amount, just ate what we wanted and kept our receipts. We don't drink sodas, nor alcohol.

Honestly it is still a vacation, I don't mind taking 5 mins to boil water, another 5 mins to cook the pasta and then toss in some butter. You wait a lot longer than 10 mins in line to order food and then actually get it. I don't like leaving the parks unless i'm going back to the hotel for the night (which we did on a couple occasions), I think it is a lot of wasted time to leave the park and all that entails, get back to the room, cook the meal, then have to trek back to the park. That to me is not a vacation and is far more time consumming. None of the meals I made took more than 15 mins to make and i'd do that while the kids were finishing getting ready for the day (we aren't early risers) and I was drinking my coffee. I was also able to better control what my kids were eating and was able to give them somewhat more nutritious meals for a fraction of the cost.

And for the PP who asked where to eat the meals, you can eat in any quick service location. We would eat at Peco's Bills, Cosmic Rays, there are a bunch of tables in Liberty Square, over in Tomorrowland there are a ton of table and chairs under the Tomorrowland Terrace just to name a few. At EPCOT Sunshine Seasons is a great place to sit down. At Animal Kingdom there are tons of tables and chairs placed thoughout the parks, one in particular is right outside the safari, another is over where the Flame Tree BBQ is. And at Hollywood Studios there are lots of places. I just tend to find a place near where we are whether it be outside a ride or inside somewhere. You don't have to buy food at the quick service location to sit down, and a CM is never going to come up to you and tell you that you have to leave, regardless of how busy it is (granted I am always there off season and don't tend to eat at the "normal" times). Often someone in our party will buy a soda or a side of FF to eat with their food, but not always.

Yeah I guess it is really just how you do your vacation. I am with you on the fact that Disney food is not all that spectacular but I just hate dragging things into the park with me. I am so excited about my kids being 6 and 12 on our next trip and those new bracelets so literally all I am bringing in with me is my phone. We are thinking about switching resort and renting DVC points so that we can have a kitchen to go back to in the afternoons for lunch but we make it a point to leave the parks in the afternoon everyday for a few hours.

So, we opted instead to buy one of these:
http://www.target.com/p/igloo-maxco...465885&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13465885

They can only be found at Target.

Best investment ever!

Ours is the older design and about 6 years old. It has saved us thousands, literally! We take it around town with food in it, to the parks, picnics, etc.....

Thanks!! I went to Target yesterday and bought one based on your advice in this thread. Love the idea of being able to carry stuff with me. I had planned on taking a regular backpack with one or two of the kids' lunch boxes inside, but this backpack seems a better idea. Easier to grab stuff out when the kids get the munchies.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it; need a few more days before I decide. My hesitation is the weight of it. Will it become too cumbersome to carry around all day? OTOH, when I think of park food in both quality and price.....this seems like a better alternative even if I do have to carry it around. Suppose I could rent a locker too if it came down to it.

But where do you eat these meals? On a park bench? Disney doesn't provide picnic tables that I am aware of.

We ate with everyone else. Brought our $5 foot longs right into The Lands at Epcot and grabbed a table. CM's came by to tell us what a great idea it was. :)

When we did buy food, we typically split both food and drink, other than the one character meal on which we did splurge.

Thanks!! I went to Target yesterday and bought one based on your advice in this thread. Love the idea of being able to carry stuff with me. I had planned on taking a regular backpack with one or two of the kids' lunch boxes inside, but this backpack seems a better idea. Easier to grab stuff out when the kids get the munchies.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it; need a few more days before I decide. My hesitation is the weight of it. Will it become too cumbersome to carry around all day? OTOH, when I think of park food in both quality and price.....this seems like a better alternative even if I do have to carry it around. Suppose I could rent a locker too if it came down to it.

We went with lockers, though a ton of folks carry everything with them. My wife did usually stash a couple drinks in her purse and would restock any time we were near the locker. I would not get a locker in MK again. It was too inconvenient for us. Worked much better in the other parks - again, for us.

When we do our pre-planning for Disney we always include budgeting 1 TS and 1 QS for each night of our stay. Breakfast is always breakfast bars or cereal in our room, which is no different from what we eat at home.

What I found presently surprising was that the TS & QS prices were not that bad at all. Then again, I think Yankee Stadium prices when I do the budget. lol... I guess it is all relative to the cost of living where you live.

KellDy - we use the quick service meal plan. We share meals off of it and the last trip had enough meal credits left over to take our dinner home on the road! We had just enough snack credits left to get Mickey rice crispy treats to take back as souvenirs to friends and family!

It was a huge savings for us and we didn't have to worry about spending more money while were there. Even if it were not a savings, the prepaid convenience of it was well worth the investment!

And when I saw other people having to PAY for their food and I wasn't it was like, "Oh those poor people." I would hate to pay that for this meal! It was a positive experience for us, but many people do not like it. We drove, so we were able to pick up odds and ends at Walmart (Water, fruit, granola, etc...).

LOL! You did pay for that meal. Unless you somehow "stole" the DDP (and yes you paid for it if you were on "Free dining" You overpaid for a hotel room for "free" food!) :confused3

OrangeCountyCommuter said:
LOL! You did pay for that meal. Unless you somehow "stole" the DDP (and yes you paid for it if you were on "Free dining" You overpaid for a hotel room for "free" food!) :confused3

Say it isn't so!!

Keep in mind you are not allowed to bring in anything in a glass container (other than baby food) and in the Animal Kingdom you are not allowed to bring in straws for drink lids (I'm guessing they mean the cheap plastic lids by that). They don't want them somehow getting to the animals.

wow. it is nice to see that some people on here have earned their sarcasm pins. I really do believe that booked my trip at a savings. I paid $2100 for 9 days and 8 nights at POR. We had quick service dinning, hoppers, tickets. It really was magic our way. Sure we paid for it. We all do. I am fortunate enough to have higher ed degrees and make fair money. We made purchases in the parks that were over priced. We expected to splurge! You know it may not be a great deal to everyone, but for us it was! I was really happy with our vacation. That was the first time I had done a dinning plan. I was so happy with it we have used the dinning plus and this next trip I have booked with the dinning deluxe! We are going to character dine and snack on carrot cake cookies all we want. Even if it was not a 'savings' I would still choose to purchase the DDP out of the convenience. It was so nice not to have to worry and fuss and complain like a lot of other people in line were doing. I am glad to have graduated from the days of backpacking with PB and J packets from the dinning halls to go on the loaf of bread we picked up at Walmart on the way in! Did we used to do it? You betcha. Will I do it again if I have too, Sure. It never hurts to live like you are in college once in a while :)

Amanda Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Flame Tree BBQ has got to be the best deal ever for a counter service place to eat in Animal Kingdom.

Also, the turkey legs go a LONG way and they're delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter