Saving money on DVD rental-USE YOUR LIBRARY!!

jkshel

DIS Veteran USMC Vetera
I have found that avoiding renting DVD's from stores and just getting them from the library is a great way to save money. Even the dollar a day redbox types, thats still a dollar!!:thumbsup2

I like the amazon.com video on demand specials...I find a movie I like every so often for .99 or 1.99 and I don't have to drive anywhere to get it or return it. With gas getting expensive I find that to be a great deal.

Our nearest library is 9 miles away, the gas alone is more than a rental from Redbox or Netflix streaming.

Dawn

My library charges $2 to rent a DVD for a week. So, I usually just get movies at Redbox and return them the next day. Ours haven't been free for years and years.

We've also had terrible luck with them. Filth and scratches seems to cause issues with our machines.

You can also go to web sites that post free Redbox codes and pay nothing for your movies. Even nothing is too much trouble for us, we never use it.

While I agree for most getting them from the library is the cheapest if free. That said since most libraries wait on donated dvds you usually can't get any new releases. I just started using Red Box and love it. They even game me a free rental after my first time using it. Then also sent me a code for a free one if I reserve one online.

We also love our library. I do feel lucky that our library offers free DVD rentals since I've read that many charge. I also borrow e-books from our library and still haven't paid for a single book for my nook.

I guess we are one of the lucky libraries. We still offer free rentals and we get all the new DVDs within days of them coming out. The daily newspapers on the other hand are a different story! Lol

That is what we do here...library gets in current movies and you can get them 50cents for a week. They have waiting lists and you can get dvds transferred from surrounding libraries at no extra cost....It works for us!:thumbsup2

We're lucky here in Pittsburgh. All of the libraries in the county are hooked into one system and we can go online (or in a branch) and request anything at any library. We can then have it delivered to any library and return at any library. All of this at no cost. This includes over 40 distinct community libraries. If it's not checked out then it takes maybe 3-5 days max to get to where you want to pick it up at.

None of the libraries charge for dvd rentals at this time (that I'm aware of).

We're lucky here in Pittsburgh. All of the libraries in the county are hooked into one system and we can go online (or in a branch) and request anything at any library. We can then have it delivered to any library and return at any library. All of this at no cost. This includes over 40 distinct community libraries. If it's not checked out then it takes maybe 3-5 days max to get to where you want to pick it up at.

None of the libraries charge for dvd rentals at this time (that I'm aware of).

This sounds like the Columbus library system~ we are fortunate to have this too. Although nothing is "free" lol, our taxes just went up because of a library levy passed to fund it all. So I look at it as I'm using what I already pay for. :)Our branch is very close to us too, so we do a library run when we're out and about doing other errands. We've cut buying books and renting movies out of our budget a long time ago...

The last time my son rented a dvd from the library, we kind of forgot it was only a 3 day rental when books are for 2 weeks. It's $1/day late charge so we got a $9 late charge on an old release we could have bought for that much. Not such a cheap rental after all!

Our library is WONDERFUL!

I haven't paid to rent a movie in at least 5 years. :cool1:

They also have video games (Wii, DS, Game Cube...)to borrow.

I go online and reserve the DVD's (and books) that we're looking for. Our library belongs to a group of over 100 libraries called Prairie Cat. If we don't have it at our local library, they will get it for us from another one. When it comes in, they will call. We can pick it up at the drive up window so we don't have to get out of the car. ;)

Most DVD's are good for 3 weeks but some are only for 1. Video games are 1 week. If they're late, the cost is still 10 Cents a day.

There is no charge for anything at the library besides using the copy machine and our property taxes of course.

We just opened a new library last month. It took about 1 1/2 years to build and $39.5 M :scared1: but it's so nice!

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...future-0308-20110307,0,367729.story?track=rss

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/4171...ary-has-features-for-patrons-of-all-ages.html

We LOVE our library!! It has a really, really great kids program so we go every week for story & craft time. We get new DVDs for DD when we're there, but 90% of the movies we get have scratches on them and freeze part way through (which sends DD into a tizzy, lol). Whenever I take them back, I tell the librarians that they're scratched, but they always just put them right back on the shelf. :rolleyes: I would've figured they'd have one of those things that can buff out scratches.

That said, we still get them. :)

We also have Netflix and have her favorite programs in our queue to watch whenever one of the DVDs won't work.

We've also had terrible luck with them. Filth and scratches seems to cause issues with our machines.

Same here. Our library only charges $1/week but many times the DVDs are so badly scratched they won't play. I have reported it to the circulation desk but they just go right back in circulation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter