Saving by Cutting out our favorite TS dining

CluelessDisFan

DIS Veteran
For the first time since 2007 we're staying off site in order to save money on our WDW trip. We're renting a home in Windsor hills with some good friends of ours, and splitting the cost. It's only going to cost $100/night = $800 total and then we're doing the YES classes to help save with ticket costs 4 day PH + WP Total =$1500. So far so good with our Budget Disney Trip.

But then when I sit down to budget our dining, numbers get really tricky! I used a Disney dining plan calculator, to help estimate the cost of our favorite restaurants, paying OOP first time again since 2007. It was like $2000 as opposed to $1500 for the cost of DDP. The numbers are so far off it looks like we're going to have to cut more than a few of our fav TS meals in order to actually save money, even with hundreds of dollars being saved between room, and tickets. Will it actually be worth cutting out our favorite meals? We're so spoiled by free DDP, and it has me contemplating if it's worth the cut backs? Anyone else love the DDP as much as we do, and feel like it's not worth the savings to go off property?

For the first time since 2007 we're staying off site in order to save money on our WDW trip. We're renting a home in Windsor hills with some good friends of ours, and splitting the cost. It's only going to cost $100/night = $800 total and then we're doing the YES classes to help save with ticket costs 4 day PH + WP Total =$1500. So far so good with our Budget Disney Trip.

But then when I sit down to budget our dining, numbers get really tricky! I used a Disney dining plan calculator, to help estimate the cost of our favorite restaurants, paying OOP first time again since 2007. It was like $2000 as opposed to $1500 for the cost of DDP. The numbers are so far off it looks like we're going to have to cut more than a few of our fav TS meals in order to actually save money, even with hundreds of dollars being saved between room, and tickets. Will it actually be worth cutting out our favorite meals? We're so spoiled by free DDP, and it has me contemplating if it's worth the cut backs? Anyone else love the DDP as much as we do, and feel like it's not worth the savings to go off property?
Does that $2000 price tag for OOP dining include the gratuities? Does the $1500 cost for the DDP include tips? Make sure that you're comparing apples to apples. In general, staying offsite (especially when you're splitting the cost of accommodations) is much cheaper than staying onsite - even when you factor in dining costs. The only time that it might be cheaper would be when you have a *free* dining promotion, stay in a value resort and get the barest minimum tickets (no hopping or WPF&M).

Did you add in Parking costs for the parks in your comparison?

We don't do the DDP, I just don't feel it is worth it, but we do do a lot of TS reservations. I just find that I usually come out cheaper doing it without DDP.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes in the end our trip total will still be cheaper over all. Even if we decide to follow our typical dining style, we'll still come out ahead, it's just the shock of paying for it all separate I think. Also some of the sticker shock is because our son is a Disney adult for the first time, and our youngest is no longer a guest of Mickey mouse. Hence the reasons for some of the changes this coming trip.

Enjoy somewhere new offsite:). The dining is as good (and definitely much cheaper) than Disney. If you go late enough in August, it's Magical Dining Month (this runs all September) and you can enjoy some amazing 3 course meals that put any Disney table service (except maybe V&A) to shame:)...

Also, if you have a Disney Visa, you occasionally get discounts at some Disney dining locations (same if you have an AP, but pretty sure you don't have that:)...https://disneyrewards.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/9100_WDW_ThemeParkPerks_11.pdf

That's great news! I'll look into that for sure. We are going the last week of August.. And I did forget about our Disney visa discounts, great reminder. Thank you!

That's great news! I'll look into that for sure. We are going the last week of August.. And I did forget about our Disney visa discounts, great reminder. Thank you!

They extended into the last week of August this year...and a $1 of every dinner goes to charity, so win-win! Over the years, I've done 8-10 restaurants under this special and I've been treated like gold and enjoyed amazing food each time (and there are some Swan/Dolphin restaurants, so you don't even have to go far)...http://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/

I don't like using those estimator websites, they are averaging costs and don't even come close to actual. I'd go look at some real menus and do my numbers that way. The estimator makes a lot of assumptions that just might not be true. They always show me coming out better with the meal plan when in truth, I save at least 1/3 of the cost of the dining plan paying OOP. You really need to compare apples to apples, factor in tips, factor in things that you are going to end up paying out of pocket for even on dining plan and factor in how you really eat, not how you eat just because it's "free" (which it really isn't)

I don't like using those estimator websites, they are averaging costs and don't even come close to actual. I'd go look at some real menus and do my numbers that way. The estimator makes a lot of assumptions that just might not be true. They always show me coming out better with the meal plan when in truth, I save at least 1/3 of the cost of the dining plan paying OOP. You really need to compare apples to apples, factor in tips, factor in things that you are going to end up paying out of pocket for even on dining plan and factor in how you really eat, not how you eat just because it's "free" (which it really isn't)

I agree. We eat NOTHING like the DDP assumes...no drinks, we are fine sharing meals, we don't do desserts...so the estimator websites always barely have us saving over the DPP. When in fact, I have saved receipts from every trip and added up the dining costs and we *easily* save 1/3-1/2 over DDP costs. It's not even a question for us. Not even if "free" lol.

The best way to calculate it is to look at the menus and price the cost of what you would likely eat. Be realistic. Does every member of your family typically eat dessert? Do you typically buy sodas or drink water? Do you get appetizers (would have paid OOP on the dining plan for that anyway)? I always come out way ahead paying OOP for food, rather than paying for the dining plan.

We definitely will be cutting out most of the desserts for sure. Those are pretty unnecessary at the quick service restaurants anyhow. DH and I have talked and we've decided to cut back on the TS. We're only planning to do 2 TS with our kids, and we'll have one date night at 'Ohana because it's our fav. I plan to save all receipts and we'll see how close or not we come to the DDP price. Thanks again for all the great tips!

Last October was our first trip without the dining plan. We have gone 6 of the last 7 years. 5 years with free dining. We opted to only pay out of pocket for 2 TS meals. We have really enjoyed the free dining TS meals in the past, but honestly this trip was great with only the 2 TS. We felt like we got to enjoy more of the snacks and there were plenty of different QS for us. We liked having the freedom in our schedule. We would do free dining again...but we are going this year with no dining plan and will enjoy that as well. I would suggest giving up the TS this trip - and just go for a different type of trip/schedule. You will probably find you like miss parts of the TS and enjoy parts as the same time.

Yeah, Disney dining has gotten really expensive over the last couple of years. We live locally and can barely afford to eat there anymore. I never thought I would say this, because I love certain Disney restaurants (Ohana is my favorite too!), and I love staying onsite, but I agree that eating offsite will save you a TON. There are plenty of really good restaurants nearby that are 1/4 to 1/2 the price of Disney meals. So if you have the flexibility of coming and going, use that to your advantage!

There are some great counter service places in Disney, too. On our 2010 trip we went to the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary for lunch one day. It was yummy and fun to ride the monorail over. Prior to 2014, we'd always stayed offsite and always came out WAY cheaper in all respects. We're planning on staying onsite at Pop this time for our DD's first trip, but I petitioned for staying offsite and lost. ;) DH really doesn't want to drive and deal with Z's carseat in a rental car. Since he does the driving, he won this time. Next time, townhouse in Windsor Hills! I have a feeling he's not going to be as happy with 10 days in a hotel room as he thinks he will be!!

There are some great counter service places in Disney, too. On our 2010 trip we went to the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary for lunch one day. It was yummy and fun to ride the monorail over. Prior to 2014, we'd always stayed offsite and always came out WAY cheaper in all respects. We're planning on staying onsite at Pop this time for our DD's first trip, but I petitioned for staying offsite and lost. ;) DH really doesn't want to drive and deal with Z's carseat in a rental car. Since he does the driving, he won this time. Next time, townhouse in Windsor Hills! I have a feeling he's not going to be as happy with 10 days in a hotel room as he thinks he will be!!

We love Contempo Cafe!! One of the most underrated QS on this board, imo.

allears . .net has menus with real pricing.... look there for realistic ideas of how much you will spend on what you actually WANT to eat...vs. DDP which can be fun, but IMHO is loaded with extra stuff we wouldn't normally buy anyway.... I don't ever get dessert where we eat our food, it would mean missing out on some little treat elsewhere,and there are SO many! We share a drink/drink water anyway, don't eat tons of extra sides...so unless it's a buffet meal we don't use all the extras ,thus I don't include them in calculating for OOP eating...

We stayed at Windsor Hills in December for the first time and loved it! Remember, Disney states that you can save up to 15% on the DP. That's not much. Skip a dessert or two and you are losing money.

Would you consider cutting back on CS in order to add another TS or two? Also remember, there are some cheaper TS options. For instance, we are trying Trails End buffet this next trip. You could probably easily cut some significant CS by taking an simple lunch, etc.
I agree that DDP really doesn't save money. I know it will be hard to compare your previous trips because of getting free dining in the past and your kids ages, however, I haven't seen the value to us in the DDP. And we DONT share meals. I do like my dessert, but we may share because we're so stuffed by then. I'm also usually so stuffed or trying to save my appetite for a good dinner, that I found myself not snacking much at all on the $5 cupcakes and whatnot. I just didn't have room. Things like that. You will definitely come out ahead financially by sharing the house. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter