Saving at Disney

Fyrecat

Catmagick
My husband and I are going for the first time together. We're going for 5 days in Sept. We got a discount on our room at Port Orleans which is very good.

Many people have been telling me we should take the dining plan, but that would cost us twice what we're paying-and at $1670 thats alot for us, even with tickets.

Is there a way to really hve a nice time, get enough to eat without the dining plan, and not feel deprived? Theres just the two of us.

My husband and I are going for the first time together. We're going for 5 days in Sept. We got a discount on our room at Port Orleans which is very good.

Many people have been telling me we should take the dining plan, but that would cost us twice what we're paying-and at $1670 thats alot for us, even with tickets.

Is there a way to really hve a nice time, get enough to eat without the dining plan, and not feel deprived? Theres just the two of us.
I don't feel that the dining plans are worth their price tags. So, IMO, you can certainly go and have a nice time, eat well and not feel deprived if you choose not to purchase it.

Figure out where you want to eat and plug it into the Dining Plan Calculator Tool that they have on http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon It will give you a feel for what you could expect to pay out of pocket for the same meals that you would get on the dining plan.

Starting in 2008 when they removed tips from being covered by the DDP, if you don't know what you are doing, you almost always lose money on the DDP. At best you break even without doing homework on where and what to order.

It had such a cult following though, that it has taken years for the tide to go out on this being a "must do". Now it is a money saver for only a small percentage of guests.

Whew, makes me feel better. It was a big deal us deciding to stay onsite, but we felt we'd save money in the long run, and I've always wanted to stay at PO Riverside. We figured if we stated elsewhere, even closeby, we'd not have the experience we want...and this worked out pretty well.

We like to eat, but to be honest, I could eat counter service every meal and not be unhappy-especially if it's hot...we do however want to go to Ghiradelli's in DTD

My four best money saving tips for Disney (non-military families):

1) Airfare ... patience, between 6 and 3 months out, begin looking/monitoring the Budget Board for specials. Buy on Tuesday afternoons if no specials
2) Lodging ... DVC renting, but you already have a room, so you are good here.
3) Buying Disney Gift Cards at a discount -- Target (for 2 weekends in December has 20-28% off $50 Disney Gift Cards), Grocery stores (Texas chain called H-E-B has 15-20% Disney Gift Cards about every 6 months, others around the country have discounts), etc.
4) Ticket Discounts -- at a minimum, use the mousesavers.com newsletter Undercover Tourist link (~6% off WDW prices). But many employers have Disney tickets on sale. Companies that sponsor a WDW attraction or area get 12% WDW discounts and 10% DLR discounts. Plus, you can use your discounted Disney Gift Cards to buy these discounted tickets, saving even more.

After that, there are minor discounts like Disney Visa 10% off stuff, etc.

Good luck!

I think in your circumstance, you would not be better off with the DDP. If I'm understanding, it would be over $1600 to pay rack rates and get FD?
If so, simple math: that would mean each of you would need to spend over $160 in meals. While that can be easily done at WDW, it can most definitely be done leads OOP.

Whew, makes me feel better. It was a big deal us deciding to stay onsite, but we felt we'd save money in the long run, and I've always wanted to stay at PO Riverside. We figured if we stated elsewhere, even closeby, we'd not have the experience we want...and this worked out pretty well.

We like to eat, but to be honest, I could eat counter service every meal and not be unhappy-especially if it's hot...we do however want to go to Ghiradelli's in DTD

PO Riverside. A great resort. You should read the top link here:
https://www.google.com/search?newwi...j20j2j2.39.0...0.0...1c.1.16.serp.eAKDjvi00N4

Truthfully I've always eaten better and more enjoyable off the plan.

First and foremost, when I am not on the plan I eat what I want, when I want. Since I go when it's usually hot, there have been days when I don't want a full sit down dinner. some times I really only want a salad or an appertizer. when I was on the ddp I would force myself to eat full size meals simply not to waste the points. I haven't had it since the introduced quick service plan so my experience is based on the regular ddp.

Next, rarely do I do dessert. I'm more of an appertizer gal which is always out of pocket.

I haven't saved money using the ddp in years. now that my kids are adults it definitely is not a money saver. We don't do character meals anymore nor buffets.

DH and I love the DDXDP - but we are foodies, and enjoy dinning. When we go out to eat we normally get appetizer, and dessert. When on vacation I like to not have to worry about the cost, with the DDXDP or DDP or QSPD everything is paid for up front. We really enjoy the 2 table service meals, and character dinning. We are big kids at heart.:hug: For us its about the experience trying something new, and really enjoying each others company.

I took my mom in January for her birthday, Dinner at Chef Mickeys was 110.00 plus tip. So it can add up fast. I suggest that your check out the menu's here and over at allears.net they update monthly or so. Don't look at the price but what would you really want. Either way you decided, you will have a wonderful time. :thumbsup2

I had zero interest in the dining plan until I got a PIN for free QSDP. Then, for the cost to upgrade to the regular DDP, it was minimal. We knew we wanted to eat at Ohana, we wanted to eat at PTC (my husbands request) and we wanted to eat at Chef Mickey. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but to pay OOP for those three was only something like $50 cheaper than to spring for the upgrade to the DDP and get 7 nights of TS meals. I just paid for the upgrade from my planned dining budget (I had budgeted $700 for a week of food/snacks/drinks for the 2.5 of us (my son is still 2) and so the couple of hundred to upgrade was NBD. We still came out ahead.

I just posted about this same thing in the restaurant forum a few days ago. Having vacationed in WDW for the past 3 summers (always on FD) I know what we really like to eat and how much. I looked at all of the restaurants that we'd be likely to eat at anyways, and what we would most enjoy ordering. It's only myself and my 2 kids (1 of them is 10 so a Disney adult) and there is no way that we will need three full meals any of the times we eat (other than the buffets when we have no choice). As far as I can see, the DDP would cost about $200 extra. We could break about even with the QS, but we really wanted 2 character meals as well as Prime Time, so we'd be spending extra OOP on that anyways. The main ways that we are saving (on top of sharing meals) are: asking for free filtered water as our drink and just adding the single packs of drink crystals bought ahead; eating breakfast in the room (which we do anyways even on the DP, saves a lot of time!); and picking less expensive character meals and having them at one of the latest breakfast seatings, so it's basically lunch at a lot cheaper price!

DH and I love the DDXDP - but we are foodies, and enjoy dinning. When we go out to eat we normally get appetizer, and dessert. When on vacation I like to not have to worry about the cost, with the DDXDP or DDP or QSPD everything is paid for up front. We really enjoy the 2 table service meals, and character dinning. We are big kids at heart.:hug: For us its about the experience trying something new, and really enjoying each others company.

I took my mom in January for her birthday, Dinner at Chef Mickeys was 110.00 plus tip. So it can add up fast. I suggest that your check out the menu's here and over at allears.net they update monthly or so. Don't look at the price but what would you really want. Either way you decided, you will have a wonderful time. :thumbsup2

It's by far the easiest to break even/save money if you buy the DXDDP. It's the only version of the DDP I'd ever consider anymore, or at least until prices change that might change the math.

After feedback, we'll probably just go without the plan-this way we can eat what we want, when we want, how we want. If it's really hot, we may not feel like eating too much, or just want a snack somewhere. This way, too, we can figure things as we go along.

After feedback, we'll probably just go without the plan-this way we can eat what we want, when we want, how we want. If it's really hot, we may not feel like eating too much, or just want a snack somewhere. This way, too, we can figure things as we go along.

And the sandwiches are great at the Earl of Sandwich.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter