Sausage bread?

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
Anyone have a good, tried and true and relatively simple recipe for sausage bread? I think Christmas is just going to be DH and I again and I'm going back to my Italian roots and going to do a baked ziti for dinner but I'd like to make a sausage bread for lunch/app I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by sausage bread, but I've made something like that before and everyone loves it. You just take a loaf of frozen bread dough and let it thaw. Then roll it out, sprinkle cooked sausage on top (extra easy now that they make those already cooked sausage crumbles!), then some mozzarella cheese. Fold the ends over and pinch shut so the sausage and cheese is enclosed. Then bake and slice! Couldn't be much easier. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by sausage bread, but I've made something like that before and everyone loves it. You just take a loaf of frozen bread dough and let it thaw. Then roll it out, sprinkle cooked sausage on top (extra easy now that they make those already cooked sausage crumbles!), then some mozzarella cheese. Fold the ends over and pinch shut so the sausage and cheese is enclosed. Then bake and slice! Couldn't be much easier. :)

Wow! Even I could do that, and I'm a rotten cook! :rotfl2:

Where would I ifnd the already cooked sausage? We're going to the beach for Christmas with DD and her husband. This sounds like something easy to make. Anything else easy to go with it?

I always just buy it at one of our local Italian Delis. :thumbsup2 It's super simple that way, and it tastes way better than if I made it!

I always just buy it at one of our local Italian Delis. :thumbsup2 It's super simple that way, and it tastes way better than if I made it!

I WISH we had an Italian deli. I wish we had ANY delis. Apparently nobody in the south knows what those are...they think Subway is a deli. I'm from Long Island. It crushes my soul.

Anywho. Yes, the recipe above is what I'm thinking of.

I WISH we had an Italian deli. I wish we had ANY delis. Apparently nobody in the south knows what those are...they think Subway is a deli. I'm from Long Island. It crushes my soul.

I know what a deli is and I am from the south, and yeah I wish we had some type of deli. YOu would think that with everyone moving form up north down to the NC, someone would open one.

I know what a deli is and I am from the south, and yeah I wish we had some type of deli. You would think that with everyone moving form up north down to the NC, someone would open one.

Florida isn't the south. ;) :lmao:

Ok, well geographically it is, and my family is from TN, MS and AK. Oh yeah, I am in North Florida, so the joke is, we live in GA, they just drew the line on the map wrong. lol My dad was very fond of a Jewish Deli in Orlando, when I was g rowing up, it isn't there anymore, but trust me he IS southern. They don't know what they are missing if they think Subway is a deli. Maybe soon you will get one near you, I have no hope.

Lol - we don't have any non-Italian deli's or bakeries (unless you drive a town over, and go to Jewish ones).

A PP posted a general one - pizza dough, mozzarella, cooked sausage. Just roll it up and bake it.

Long Island delis are a thing of their own, aren't they? We live in CT, not far away, so you'd think there would be good delis, but not even close. (We do have fancy upmarket delis, but nothing like the good regular places.)

Long Island delis are a thing of their own, aren't they? We live in CT, not far away, so you'd think there would be good delis, but not even close. (We do have fancy upmarket delis, but nothing like the good regular places.)

We have some very good ones here in New Haven County :thumbsup2

scrapquitler said:
We have some very good ones here in New Haven County :thumbsup2

Yes, you do! My DH grew up in Branford, and he misses the delis and Wooster Street (Pepe's) pizza the most. He always makes sure to get as much as he can when we're up the visiting family.

I buy the frozen bread dough too. I brown sausage and then saute onion and green peppers. Roll out the dough, sprinkle with the sausage, onions and pepper, top with shredded moz cheese then roll up and bake.

I buy the frozen bread dough too. I brown sausage and then saute onion and green peppers. Roll out the dough, sprinkle with the sausage, onions and pepper, top with shredded moz cheese then roll up and bake.

This sounds yummy! :goodvibes How long do you bake and on what temp?

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I have to agree. I'm a born southerner, and Subway is a deli to me (or the little restaurants in grocery stores that are called delis). I know the difference from television, but I've never set foot in a REAL deli.

I went to college in West Palm Beach. Florida definitely isn't the "South". I remember when I first got to school, until everybody knew everybody, I was known as "that girl with the accent" (it was an actual southern accent - LOL!). :rotfl2:

Wow! Even I could do that, and I'm a rotten cook! :rotfl2:

Where would I ifnd the already cooked sausage? We're going to the beach for Christmas with DD and her husband. This sounds like something easy to make. Anything else easy to go with it?

It's in with the sausage and bacon...a red bag, Jimmy Dean maybe? Good luck!

Instead of the frozen dough, we're going to give it a go with actual pizza dough. There's a pizzeria in Winston-Salem owned by a guy from Brooklyn who trucks water in from NY to make his dough. He can often be talked into selling a dough ball or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter