• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sausage ball questions

WDWAurora

<font color=teal>I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'
Have you made them? I used the recipe in our CCS cookbook, but they didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped. Part of that is totally me. I got the wrong cheese and made them a little too big. I kind of think that 3 cups is too much bisquick. Is that how much you use (for 1lb sausage, 2 cups cheese)? I don't know, just looking for opinions. I'm thinking maybe I just didn't mix it up good? I was mixing FOREVER though it seemed like.

Anyway, they're good enough to take to my crop tomorrow, so that's all I really care about. Also-how should I reheat them? They'll be refrigerated all day tomorrow until the crop.

WDWAurora said:
Have you made them? I used the recipe in our CCS cookbook, but they didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped. Part of that is totally me. I got the wrong cheese and made them a little too big. I kind of think that 3 cups is too much bisquick. Is that how much you use (for 1lb sausage, 2 cups cheese)? I don't know, just looking for opinions. I'm thinking maybe I just didn't mix it up good? I was mixing FOREVER though it seemed like.

Anyway, they're good enough to take to my crop tomorrow, so that's all I really care about. Also-how should I reheat them? They'll be refrigerated all day tomorrow until the crop.

I make them for holidays, work lunches and stuff...I actually only put 2 cups of bisquick to 1 lb sausage and 2 cps cheese..

Hope this helps...

Ah, interesting. I bet it was a typo or something.

I only use 2 cups also, but I add just a tiny bit of water and what a difference it makes when mixing. Another thing I do is cook my sausage until it is almost done before I mix it all together. I read that tip on another board and we really like them better. Mine used to always be a little on the greasy side until I started precooking the sausage and draining off the grease.

I have always seen that recipe call for 3 cups of bisquik but I agree that is a little too much. I cut back to about 2 1/2. One thing that helps with the mixing is my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I use the dough hook and it is so much less work than mixing by hand. I actually make them more than once a year now that I learned that trick!

Jimmy Dean Sausage Cheese Balls
2 pkgs. (16 oz. each) Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
1-1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
16 oz. (4 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Form into 1” balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet; bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.

Note: may be prepared ahead and frozen uncooked. To bake from frozen: thaw on baking sheet 15 minutes; bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Variation: for firmer texture, add 3 cups baking mix and 2 cups shredded cheese to the ingredients listed above.

Makes about 6 dozen

We've made these for years, always a big request at Christmas. I reheat them in the microwave. Starting at about a minute for 12-15 then flipping over for about 30 more seconds. It does take a lot of mixing to get the right texture. It also helps to experiment with different sausages. Have fun!

I use the recipe on the bisquick box (3 cups bisquick, 2 cups cheese, 1 pound of sausage) but I mix the shreaded cheese and bisquick together very well and then rip the sausage log into pieces and mix that in to the cheese and bisquick - this keeps me from having lumps of cheese and not getting the sausage mixed in well. Then I put the entire thing in the microwave for about a minute - sometimes 2 but no more - this makes the cheese, bisquick and sausage gushy so it all goes together easier. Really cuts down on the mixing time.

I only use 2 cups also, but I add a little chicken broth to help moisten them. And I also use my Kitchenaid to do the mixing. Good luck!

Sausage balls are my favorite. Yeah definitely don't use more than 2 cups of bisquick, it will make them too dry. I also find that if you use too much cheese they burn easier.
And they are great to warm up real quick in the toaster oven, just a few mins. makes them toasty...better than the microwave!

I have made these since I was in Jr. High and have always used the 3/2/1 recipe. You do have to mix them well though and using my hands is the only way I've found to really do that (haven't tried it with my KitchenAid though). One tip is to let the sausage come to room temp before adding it. Makes it easier to mix.

i love sausage balls, but what i like to do is pour a jar of apricot jam(heated in the microwave) on top before serving. yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter