satelite radio?

Not sure about deals, but we have Sirius...and it's EXTREMELY worth it to get upgraded hardware. We just got the basic, and it sucks. There are cords everywhere, and we have to run the antenna through the car. As soon as I get the time to research and shop around, I'm replacing it. We've had it for years...haha!! Shows how much free time I have. Well, except of course the time I spend on the DIS!! That's reserved. :laughing:

We have Sirius also and it is great. But we have the Stilleto which can go in the house or car. DH LOVES it!! We also have the web package which is only like $4 per month. DH uses it more than me but it is worth it!! Sorry no help on deals.

We have Sirius also and it is great. But we have the Stilleto which can go in the house or car. DH LOVES it!! We also have the web package which is only like $4 per month. DH uses it more than me but it is worth it!! Sorry no help on deals.

I am not a techie by any means, so I usually just take whatever comes with, but this is not aesthetically, nor spacially, pleasing (is that a word?? :laughing:). It came with a home device, too, but we never use it. I tend to use my iPod more at home. Great stations, though!!

My uncle has XM and likes ours better. They seem to have the same station variety save the Sirius or XM exclusive (Martha Stewart, Howard Stern, etc.).

Just an FYI: XM bought Sirius radio not too long ago. You can get the "Best of Sirius" package with the XM subscription for an extra charge.

I have XM and I love it. I'd hold off on buying the hardware quite yet, though. Now that XM and Sirius have merged, there are going to be new pricing plans and you should probably figure out for sure which primary service you want (for now) and then research any new hardware that will be coming out.

You will be able to (for an additional fee - I think around $6) get a "Best of" package added to you primary provider - so if you get XM you can also get the best of Sirius as well. Soon there will be new packages where you can choose bundles of channels for different prices, like just music or sports or whatever. And once the new hardware comes out you'll be able to get both services on one unit.

Eventually they will get rid of the duplicate channels and just have one service but that shouldn't be any time soon. They have also promised that current hardware will not be obsolete in the forseeable future, but that doesn't mean current units will be able to get all of the new services/packages.

What channels are actually the best of XM? I have sirius and love it:love: I have heard them advertise the best of XM package.. and DHs radio actually already has a XM catergory.

If your going to choose between which one to go with though... I recommend Sirius. I hvaent listened to radio or CDs in the couple years I have had it. I pay $20 a month for both DH and mine.

Enjoy whatever you get. Sure beats all teh commercials on radio.

The 2 companies merged but Sirius was the stronger up and coming company so XM didn't buy out Sirius. You can get the best of XM package added to your account.

A few years back my DH was dreaming of satelite radio. After researching he decided he's preference was XM. He didn't buy it, was just dreaming.

So I got it for him Father's Day of 2006. It was, probably the only time ever, he truly LOVED his gift. He listens to it all the time, makes his commute funnier (he listens to the comedy), makes his work go by faster (he listens to music on his work computer) and definatly made our last drive to Disney more relaxing for him (no searching for stations the whole way down). He loves it so much and I love that he actually loved a gift I got him!

I can't recomend one or the other, it is personal preference (he doesn't enjoy Howard Stern or Martha Stewart for example and liked the comedy channels on XM over Sirus), but I can tell you it has been worth the money.

I have XM and I love it. I'd hold off on buying the hardware quite yet, though. Now that XM and Sirius have merged, there are going to be new pricing plans and you should probably figure out for sure which primary service you want (for now) and then research any new hardware that will be coming out.

You will be able to (for an additional fee - I think around $6) get a "Best of" package added to you primary provider - so if you get XM you can also get the best of Sirius as well. Soon there will be new packages where you can choose bundles of channels for different prices, like just music or sports or whatever. And once the new hardware comes out you'll be able to get both services on one unit.

Eventually they will get rid of the duplicate channels and just have one service but that shouldn't be any time soon. They have also promised that current hardware will not be obsolete in the forseeable future, but that doesn't mean current units will be able to get all of the new services/packages.

Thanks!! Very informative! And I didn't even have to leave the DIS. :laughing:

Just an FYI, if you have AAA you can get a discount on Sirius hardware. Not sure what the exact terms are, but might be worth looking into.

The 2 companies merged but Sirius was the stronger up and coming company so XM didn't buy out Sirius. You can get the best of XM package added to your account.

You are exactly correct, We have already had news letters from sirius on the merger.

We have Sirius and love it. We only have it in the van though. We paid for a lifetime membership, not really lifetime but you get to switch receivers 3 times before it expires.

They already have new price plans in place.
  • Sirius Everything + Best of XM or XM Everything + Best of Sirius $16.99
  • Sirius Everything or XM Everything $12.95
  • Family Friendly $11.95
  • Mostly Music $9.99
  • News, Sports & Talk $9.99
  • A La Carte Gold $14.99 - you can create your own personal package of 100 channels from the full lineup of channels. Requires equipment that is Ala Carte compatible
  • Basic A La Carte Plan
What channels are actually the best of XM? I have sirius and love it:love: I have heard them advertise the best of XM package.. and DHs radio actually already has a XM catergory.

If your going to choose between which one to go with though... I recommend Sirius. I hvaent listened to radio or CDs in the couple years I have had it. I pay $20 a month for both DH and mine.

Enjoy whatever you get. Sure beats all teh commercials on radio.
DH and I had Sirius for a couple years. But, unfortunately had to give it up. He tells me at least once a week how much he misses it. I may surprise him at Christmas with a new subscription.

The Best of XM package includes:
  • Oprah and Friends
  • NBA channels 211-220
  • The Virus - Opie & Anthony in the morning and Ron & Fez in the afternoon
  • NHL Home Ice
  • The PGA Tour Network
  • College Sports channels
  • XM Public Radio
Personally, it's not worth the extra money to me for the XM package.

ETA: The AAA discount is:
15% Savings on Radios
Free shipping
Free Activation
Free Month of Service (with the purchase of an annual subscription)

You have to go through the link on the AAA site.

Whatever you do, DO NOT give XM your credit card number. They have been randomly charging me for things I did not purchase/do. I am still fighting a $210 charge for canceling two accounts. The only problem is that I have not canceled any accounts! Both my accounts are still active and although they have admitted it is their problem they have not credited me in over two months and 10 phone calls. I would cancel but I am afraid of inducing more erroneous charges.

That's really odd - we've had XM for several years and haven't had any problems or complaints, and they do have our credit card number. I hope it gets worked out soon!

How are the pickings in terms of comedy and hard rock?

Not sure about the comedy sector but there are a good 10 stations for a variety of rock (classic, alternative, new wave, heavy metal, new stuff, old stuff). I've had both XM and Sirius and IMHO Sirius is much better if you're a "rocker". There are only a few rock oriented stations on XM. I have to admit they've gotten better but still leave a lot to be desired.

I've had Sirius I want to say about 4 + years now. We keep leasing Acura's and they have XM built in. We get a 3 mth free sub. with the new cars but I end up letting it run out and go back to Sirius. I do have to do that wired thing which is a pain considering it has the built in antenna for XM (you can't use the built in for Sirius unfortunately, but that's the trade-off).

If you want to test drive Sirius go to their website. You can sign-up for a 3 days trial on line to check them out.;) Oh I listen online all the time, it's part of your subscription so there's not xtra charge. I know XM was charging extra in the past but with the merger not sure if they still are. There are now some XM stations available to listen to on Sirius.

XM has our CC number too and no problems. hat is a bummer for you, I am sorry to hear it and hope we remain happy.

I forgot to add, DH's car was broken into this past summer and XM gave him a new radion free, just paid about $10 rush shipping on it. They didn't have to, but it was nice of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter