• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SAT tips and advice

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
My Daughter is a junior . I took her to her annual physical and her doctor mentioned some SAT vocabulary flashcards. Are we behind in studying?? Anyone else started? ANy tips or know of good study guides or where to buy a good set of the SAT Vocabulary flashcards?

If your daughter is aiming for the awards based on PSAT scores (National Merit Semifinalist, Commended, etc) or for scholarships or if she wants to try for highly selective colleges, then she is behind in studying. But if like most students she's not aiming for the very top colleges, the summer before Junior year is a good time to start.
Take a look at this board for SAT tips: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/

If your daughter is aiming for the awards based on PSAT scores (National Merit Semifinalist, Commended, etc) or for scholarships or if she wants to try for highly selective colleges, then she is behind in studying. But if like most students she's not aiming for the very top colleges, the summer before Junior year is a good time to start.
Take a look at this board for SAT tips: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/
Thank you. I will checkout the link :)

Flashcards are always a good thing to have, personally when I took it a couple of years ago I focused mainly on what I struggled with (the math part)

If you want flashcards you can always make your own which could be time consuming or buy an SAT prep book as some of them come with not only practice questions, but a set of flashcards in the back as well. Some SAT books can reach over $100, but many such as the Kaplan version you can find fairly cheap.

Also, another tip would be to encourage her to take the SAT twice. I only took it in my junior year and regret it as I felt the second time could have raised me by a good 40-80 points.

Good luck to her :)

My oldest two gig tutored, and they learned how to take the tests, as well as content. Dd19's SAT scores went up over 200 points, as did ds17. It cost a few thousand, but it was worth it.

My DD found that taking practice tests over and over was what helped. Many of the words showed up repeatedly. She went from 1970 to 2150 on her own.

That being said the entire SAT is going to be revamped and rolled out next year I believe, so no one really knows what to expect. I think it is going to be more based on comprehension then vocabulary.

My children's schools offered SAT Prep courses either in school during the school year, in the summer, or on Saturdays during the school year, depending on the school. One had the option to take a course in middle school. That's something to check into as the private courses are very expensive. They were counseled to take the SATs in the junior year and again in the senior year.

Review books may also be available through the guidance department or your local library.

Just to add to my previous post, many budget resources are available. Kids can definitely improve a few hundred points by preparing on their own or with resources like the practice tests that you can take free with companies like Kaplan or Princeton Review. Depending on where you live you can find them offered through a public library, at the company's office, or on a college campus.
Just one example, this website gives free Math explanations, videos on how to work through thosands of problems
http://www.satquantum.com/
Right now with the changes coming in March 2016, the vocab section is being changed to eliminate the extra-difficult words that it used to feature so I wouldn't recommend looking for the old flashcards. Here are links with info on the changes http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...ssay-section-out-easier-vocabulary-words.html
http://www.methodtestprep.com/the-n...7iilJUU_uHrIatMB_mfuU4UjpweDBQ&_hsmi=21027073

Some people study, some don't. It really depends on your daughter's goals and her ability. If you are trying for an Ivy League school, then -yeah, you are probably behind. If you want to get into Iowa State and aren't worried about scholarships, if she is pulling Bs in her classes, don't worry about it.

Most schools offer PSAT course as an elective class. In most cases it's only 1 semester long, our district has an $11 fee for the book.

Definitely worth it purchase some type of practice test. If you can afford a class or her school offers a prep class, do it. My son got into his choice school and even though he took it 2x. During Jan of his senior year I had him take it again because he only needed 60 more points to up his scholarship to half tuition paid. He did get those 60 pearly points.

Don't stress. Your daughter is the one taking the test; she should be the one taking the initiative in studying. Your job as a parent is to encourage a good night of sleep before the test, have breakfast food on hand the day of and provide a ride/make sure her car is gassed up the day of the test.

Your local library should have a good selection of test prep materials.

I agree with the recommendation for tutoring. It is an expense for sure, but a qualified tutor is worth every penny for your kid's education.

I have had 2 children go through SAT/ACT testing. The first we did the whole prep class, extra materials etc for... She took each test twice, score didn't change too much each time, even after extra help.
Second child decided to only take ACT. Had a study guide, but no extra classes.
Both did fine, high enough to be accepted at all schools they applied to and helped to get extra merit aid.
I agree that unless they are trying to get into a very selective school, don't stress over it. Many colleges and universities don't even use the scores in their admissions anymore. Grades in school and extra curriculars are what they look at.

I personally think studying makes a difference, I'd buy books and encourage her to practice.

I also believe scholarships are frequently based on your score as compared to the school you are applying to. For instance, if you have a 32 ACT and you go to a school where the average ACT is 32, you're just another average student and probably won't get much aid. However, if you choose to go to a school where the average score is 23, well, they'll probably offer you money to encourage you to enroll - you make their profile higher.

Taking a course 20 years ago probably got me into an Ivy League. My scores increased about 250 points from my PSAT to my SAT and luckily the SAT was used to identify National Merit Finalists because someone had pulled a fire alarm during the PSAT. I know the world's changed a lot in 20 years, but I will probably have both of mine take a course--DD to hopefully get some merit aid and DS to get into a better school than he otherwise might.

I have had 2 children go through SAT/ACT testing. The first we did the whole prep class, extra materials etc for... She took each test twice, score didn't change too much each time, even after extra help.
Second child decided to only take ACT. Had a study guide, but no extra classes.
Both did fine, high enough to be accepted at all schools they applied to and helped to get extra merit aid.
I agree that unless they are trying to get into a very selective school, don't stress over it. Many colleges and universities don't even use the scores in their admissions anymore. Grades in school and extra curriculars are what they look at.

My DD was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder in 2nd grade--which makes reading and spelling type activities difficult at best. With that in mind--she was determined to excel in school and took many AP classes starting in 8th grade and graduated high school with 15 college credits. Her SAT scores were awful--understanding what she reads is time consuming and stressful with timed tests. She applied for early decision to highly rated Hartwick College and not only did she get selected--but she was given one of their highest academic scholarships. The admissions counselor said that the classes she took in HS, her extra-curricular activities, and in person interview far out-weighed her SAT scores. My point is--dont stress too much about SAT scores. They dont define your childs future. My DD is starting her Senior year as a Physics major, doing an internship right now with a research lab, and planning her Grad school applications. If your child is motivated--they can do whatever they want.

Princeton Review offers a free SAT/ACT test to determine which is most likely to showcase your daughter's skills.

Also, the start of Junior year is a good time to start making up a college list, so that you can start visiting schools.

Keep in mind, if test scores are an issue, an increasing number of schools have now become test-optional. You still need the grades to get in, but admittance is still a real possibility for those kids who aren't strong at SAT type high stress testing.

Since 9th grade I have been leaving sticky notes all over the house with vocabulary words and definitions and SAT questions on them. Stuck on the bathroom mirror, on the wall in front of the toilet, on the fridge, IN the fridge....anyplace she goes there is a sticky note. When she feels she remembers what it says then I replace it with another one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter