Sat behind someone giving possible bad Disney info today...

Yeah, I wanted to drop a little note on top of her sandwich that just said "disboards.com." Don't know how I'd take that though if someone did that to me!
But if I checked it out, I might be really grateful.

This is exactly what I thought when I read your first post. And I'm totally a busybody so I would have written it on a napkin (along with a book recommendation and maybe even my email address) and dropped it off at their table. :)

How would I react if someone did that to me? I'd be surprised they cared about my conversation, a little weirded out, but then happy they cared enough to help me have a good vacation. (Yeah, yeah, their vacation can be great without the tips we know so well but I for one am SO glad I know the tips. I can choose to ignore them but at least then it's a choice, not unintentional ignorance!) :)

I agree with you on most things you said. I do plan my parks, and I do make reservations though.

The thing that always bothers me is that most DISers say that you have to be there for rope drop. I hate rope drop. I feel like it's Black Friday and everyone is trying to buy the same thing. I like to sleep in. I have 5 kids and feet issues, so it is important for me to get up, do tons of stretches, and make sure all the kids' needs are met. I have never had to wait more than 40 minutes (getting there around 10 AM and staying for regular park hours), and I have only had to do that 3 or 4 times. The only reason we waited that long in a line was b/c we had a fastpass in the area that it wasn't quite time to use and we had time to burn.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE evening EMH!!!! I plan most of my parks around them in fact. I have been to rope drop and have not had as much success as I do in the evening. Plus I am so crabby and feel sick b/c I have narcolepsy and don't get enough sleep when I get up that early. It makes it not so fun for me.

At evening EMH I wait in almost no lines. The lines we do wait in have very little wait. I think last September the longest line I waited in during EMH was for Pooh, and that was 15 minutes. I don't think I waited in a line longer than 25 minutes in September in 12 days to be honest with you! We are usually able to get off the ride and jump right back on in the evening EMH's. Toy Story said it had a 40 minute wait on our last trip, and I told hubby I wanted to try it out to see how much they pad the wait times. I think we waited 10 minutes one time and 20 minutes the second time. (Oops, forgot about that one when I said the longest wait time was 15 minutes!) Rock on.

For those that have to be in bed early, morning EMH might be worth it for them. I personally don't like the mad rush, people shoving to get there first, and I certainly don't like how I feel getting up that early. We make the occasional rope drop, but I am always happier with the late night EMH.

I'm right there with ya regarding the whole rope drop thing! :thumbsup2
Have never been to one and don't plan on going to one either...

Now we are all over those nighttime EMHs!! :woohoo: We love to shut down the parks! And the best part about doing this is there are very few if any Little Kids!!! :rotfl2: That is a Big Plus for us! ;) I am a nightowl by nature anyway as I don't sleep well and when I do finally fall asleep, I don't want to be woken up to get up for a stupid rope drop. I'm not going to be very pleasant as I'm already miserable in pain and then you add a lack of sleep and being exhausted... thanks I'll take a few hours of sleep over a silly rope drop.

Yeah, I wanted to drop a little note on top of her sandwich that just said "disboards.com." Don't know how I'd take that though if someone did that to me!
But if I checked it out, I might be really grateful.

Now if I were the person there and you'd given me a source of info I would have been searching for you afterwards to thank you. But not everyone wants advice and some genuinely do get by without it.

It now only mildly frustrates me when I overhear things like that, but I have long since lost any urge to try 'help' I think what changed my approach/ response to this kind of thing is recognizing that some people genuinely do have a good time without much info or planning. Now their good time would have me coming home and feeling disappointed because that's not what I want ... I know too much thanks to the DIS :rotfl2:

However, one of the partners in our firm goes almost every year for 2 weeks with his family and has been for about 10 years. They stay offsite, arrive at the parks late, don't make ADRs and decide over breakfast whenever everyone is up, which park they will do for the day. And they usually go in July! Yet they love it and keep going back.

It's difficult for me to understand how anyone could not feel the need to plan or at least the need to research to a reasonable level when spending so much money on a vacation, but I have learned to accept that what I want in a vacation is not necessarily what others do.

What DOES bother me is when people don't research or plan and come home and say it was disappointing because it leaves me wondering if they just didn't care for Disney (and let's face it, it's not for everyone), or if their lack of planning/information robbed them of a potentially great vacation.

I'm all for helping others out, but you have to draw the line somewhere or you'll spend all your energy worrying about those who won't listen, or don't mind a casual trip, when you could be using that time and attention on your own trip and helping those who do want some guidance.

Obviously every person or family is going to have their own way of touring and doing each and every park/ride/meal, but at the same time, I can say that we've overheard many many MISCONCEPTIONS about Disney in general and the parks in particular.
Sitting on the monorail, standing in line before the parks open, waiting for any attraction, etc. We've overheard dead wrong information that people come there believing because someone told them and they obviously didn't know any better.
I never butted into anyone's conversation unless I was asked. One time I was on the bus from the resort by myself because DH had a meeting and someone on the bus asked about the TTC. They had never been to Disney before and were from the UK. I just gave them basic information. If they hadn't asked me, I probably wouldn't have volunteered my opinion.
It seems so often on the boards that when someone expresses THEIR opinion, someone else jumps on them. We're all here to learn and hopefully share. Not to try to change someone else's plans.
DH and I have been going to Disney for a lifetime and we do it our way because that works for us. :coffee:

We have bucked traditional "commando" touring this trip. We have still made rope drop each day; but we have hit parks that were "not recommended" based on EMH.

We got Chef Mickeys as a walk up the morning of the half marathon, had a couple of great walk up lunches, and have only used 3 fast passes.

We have still managed to do and see all we wanted to!

I think it's rude to listen to other people's conversations! :rotfl2:

Unless,you're involved in the discussion,much as you may wish to,you just got to bite your tongue.

And as pp have said,there are different ways of doing Disney,for different folks.

As a sidenote,I'm in the UK,and have my own pot belly- I'm not sure I'd want to eat there! :lmao:

I completely agree with almost everything the lady you overheard said to her dining companion at Earl.

I hate rope drop with a fiery passion.:scared1:
Just got back from 4 days during "busy" President's Week. As an adult, I've been to WDW at least 15 times and have done rope drop twice, both on this trip:
1. to get breakfast at the reopened bakery in France-Epcot and then promptly returned to Beach Club (Does this even count?) It was glorious...had the place to ourselves. :artist:
2. Epcot on the day of departure to try to get some rides in before the Magical Express arrived.

The WORST experience was during the second rope drop. The Princess 1/2 marathon was ending and they had half of Future World blocked off. The only way to get from IG to Test Track was through a series of crosswalks. This did require a modicum of patience, which one not-so-magical family seemed to have lost. :crowded: This wife and husband got "separated" at the crosswalk and were screaming at the CM/crossing guard because the wife needed her water bottle or something. There was pushing, shoving, yelling, etc...
And THAT is why I completely hate rope drop. It becomes SO important to get that FP to one ride, shove people and yell to run across the park to get in line for the next ride, and, as one PP said, try to "do" everything.

Here's how my trip went:
Most days ate breakfast in the villa or at France. Returned to pool by 10:30 to find it relatively empty. Stormalong Bay...empty?? Indeed. Until 12:30-1:00. Then all the rope-droppers return and want to swim. That's when we leave and get lunch, go to room to nap or shower, and get ready to head to parks at 3-5pm depending on EMH and such.
Sure it's hot at 3:30 when you get to the parks. That's why we choose this time to eat a TS or extended QS meal indoors. By 4:00-4:30, we're ready to start the tour. We've got anywhere from 5-7 hours in the park for the rest of the night.

Went to MK at 6:30 on a Saturday night. Had 4+ hours to do everything we wanted in a leisurely fashion: JungleC, Pirates, HM, Buzz 2x, TTA, IASM, Dumbo, Barnstormer, Pooh, Gaston's Tavern, and saw the fireworks someplace in between. Longest wait was 15 minutes.

Do we "do everything?" God no! That sounds like an awful trip. We do what we feel like doing for as long as we feel like doing it. Of course, visiting 3 times a year and having annual passes gives us the luxury of popping over to Epcot for just an hour one day if we so choose. Only ADR was Via Napoli.

Don't need Rope Drop, ADRs, or touring plans with the precision of a military invasion in order to have a great time. And it would be even better if the pseudo-Napoleons out there would stop screaming a CMs and their spouses when their ridiculous plans are one minute off.

Do we "do everything?" God no! That sounds like an awful trip. We do what we feel like doing for as long as we feel like doing it. Of course, visiting 3 times a year and having annual passes gives us the luxury of popping over to Epcot for just an hour one day if we so choose. Only ADR was Via Napoli.

Don't need Rope Drop, ADRs, or touring plans with the precision of a military invasion in order to have a great time. And it would be even better if the pseudo-Napoleons out there would stop screaming a CMs and their spouses when their ridiculous plans are one minute off.

But there's the critical difference, and precisely who nobody can tell everyone the "right" way to tour. You apparently own DVC and go often. Many don't. Nobody can "do everything" in one trip, but they might "need" to do far more than you do because they won't be back again soon. That's a pretty substantial difference.

All anybody can do is put out there what works for them, and let others take the advice or not. Some go home disappointed if they miss many things. Some go home frustrated if they kept too brisk a pace. We're all different and benefit from different approaches.

But there's the critical difference, and precisely who nobody can tell everyone the "right" way to tour. You apparently own DVC and go often. Many don't. Nobody can "do everything" in one trip, but they might "need" to do far more than you do because they won't be back again soon. That's a pretty substantial difference.

All anybody can do is put out there what works for them, and let others take the advice or not. Some go home disappointed if they miss many things. Some go home frustrated if they kept too brisk a pace. We're all different and benefit from different approaches.

Totally agree. Except, you do not have to do everything in order to have a good time. For example, I have NEVER been on TSMM. And yes, I hear it is awesome and its everyone's favorite ride, etc... But the lines are too long, I refuse to elbow grandmas at rope drop, and FP are long gone by the time I get to HS, if I go at all.
Point being: I'll be just fine if I never go on TSMM. There is so much to see and do at WDW and it is mildly amusing that even a once-in-a-lifetime visitor might leave "disappointed" that they didn't get a chance to do "X."

What DOES bother me is when people don't research or plan and come home and say it was disappointing because it leaves me wondering if they just didn't care for Disney (and let's face it, it's not for everyone), or if their lack of planning/information robbed them of a potentially great vacation.

I totally agree with this. We have friends that went last summer and I offered to help them with some planning strategies, but they really just wanted to "wing it". Well, they did wing it and came home and said they don't think they'll ever go back to Disney again. They couldn't get in any of the restaurants they wanted and it was so mobbed that they barely got on any rides. I told them before they planned their trip that they should make ADRs so as to get in where they wanted (AKA Cinderella B-fast). Well, they didn't follow my advice and were unable to get any character meals. I know that some people want to go at their own pace, but it really bothers me that when they do, they complain and blame it on Disney. I agree that some advice fits some people better than others, but if there's advice that could help me make my visit that much better, you bet I'm gonna heed that advice. That's why i'm on these boards!!!!:thumbsup2

I will say, though, that the one time I did offer unsolicited advice, it turned out very well. DS20 and I took a trip together last Oct., and as I was preparing to go through the bag check at Epcot (he didn't bring any kind of bag, smart kid), the woman in front of me looked very flustered and unsure. I suggested that she just open all of her bag's pockets, etc., and get ready ahead of time. She started asking me all kinds of questions about Disney, and we chatted during our wait. Then, several hours later, when DS and I were in line for Soarin', we were right behind the same woman and her family! We chatted during the whole line (FP line, of course). They had arrived that morning, after having made the decision to come to WDW THE DAY BEFORE!!!! They had never been, didn't know what they were doing, but had had plans the year before that were interrupted by a cancer diagnosis, and were taking their kids on a "make-up" trip. They asked all kinds of questions, I gave them lots of info, and everybody was happy.

Totally agree. Except, you do not have to do everything in order to have a good time. For example, I have NEVER been on TSMM. And yes, I hear it is awesome and its everyone's favorite ride, etc... But the lines are too long, I refuse to elbow grandmas at rope drop, and FP are long gone by the time I get to HS, if I go at all.
Point being: I'll be just fine if I never go on TSMM. There is so much to see and do at WDW and it is mildly amusing that even a once-in-a-lifetime visitor might leave "disappointed" that they didn't get a chance to do "X."

I agree as well. One trip we had a FP for TSMM and never made it back over there to ride it at all, so gave it to someone else late in the day. And I also agree and said you don't have to do it all. You really can't. But it IS a lot easier to pick and choose a few highlights (and take a more laid back approach) if you know you'll be back in a few months. For someone who has no idea when and if they will ever be back, it's a different decision making process.

erincon23 said:
Sitting at Potbelly for lunch, i overheard two women talking -- sounded like one was going to Disney and asking the other for advice. "Should we get there when the park opens?" "Well, will your family be all ready to go? It's not really that important to get there that early." "I heard you have to make reservations for meals." "No, you can usually just walk up." "How do I know which parks I want to go to every day?" "Just decide how you feel that morning! It's the experience you want, you don't need to plan everything out." "I heard about Photopass - is that worth it?" "No, last time I did it, I had four pictures worth printing, so I paid more than $100 for 4 pictures."

Now, depending on when the visitor is going, all of this is possibly correct, I realize. But it took an awful lot of self control to not jump into this conversation - I'm not quite that big of a busybody to jump into strangers' conversation -- but I was cringing inside! Especially as I'm in the middle of helping our high school's band and choir group plan for their trip next month, so all of this is on my mind right now!

It's not bad advice at all. You just vacation differently. We don't use any touring plan services and we never drag ourselves out of bed at the crack of dawn. Never thought photo pass was worth it either.. And we do just fine

My advice would be plan for your kids (if you have them of course).

One PP said they don't care if they ever make TSMM. Another person thinks ETWB is not worth the hassle of getting to MK 45 minutes before they open and running to FL. Thats all good and well if its just you and you go three times per year.

But if you have a boy who loves Toy Story, and you get to go three times in your entire life, you'll probably go a little more nutso to make sure you get on that ride. Same if you have a little girl in love with Belle regarding ETWB. When I was little, my parents made it all about what my sister and I would like. Now its MY kids turn and they'll do everything THEY like.

And even just in general, if your only gonna get to go once every several years, if that, you'll likely try to do "everything"....at least everything that is important to you.

I think there are so many who consider Disney a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Way more of those then there are people who can go every few months. If I went every few months, I'd have a WHOLE different approach too. But then, I'd never go to Disney every few months...to much else to see.

Sitting at Potbelly for lunch, i overheard two women talking -- sounded like one was going to Disney and asking the other for advice. "Should we get there when the park opens?" "Well, will your family be all ready to go? It's not really that important to get there that early." "I heard you have to make reservations for meals." "No, you can usually just walk up." "How do I know which parks I want to go to every day?" "Just decide how you feel that morning! It's the experience you want, you don't need to plan everything out." "I heard about Photopass - is that worth it?" "No, last time I did it, I had four pictures worth printing, so I paid more than $100 for 4 pictures."

Now, depending on when the visitor is going, all of this is possibly correct, I realize. But it took an awful lot of self control to not jump into this conversation - I'm not quite that big of a busybody to jump into strangers' conversation -- but I was cringing inside! Especially as I'm in the middle of helping our high school's band and choir group plan for their trip next month, so all of this is on my mind right now!

When could what she be saying possibly be correct ?!!?!?!?

Okay - so I know some people aren't planners and I have friends who go to Disney and come home and tell us about their trip and had a great time and I am cringing at all the stupid things they did - like getting to the parks 3 hours after opening, etc....but it works for them.

If they only know how awesome Disney could be if they only knew. My sister learned all my tips and tricks from me and told me she had no idea how great it could be!!

DVCBELLE - We've been twice for 7-11 days each time, and I've yet to make it to a rope drop. Heck, I've yet to make it into a park before 10 or 10:30. I am a planner, but at the time of year we go, crowds are not an issue at all. We've only needed to get a fastpass to experience one ride (TSMM) because the line was consistently at 90 mins or more. All others were under 30 mins. On our first trip, we didn't wait in any line for more than 20 mins our entire trip! (we skipped TSMM that trip - wasn't worth the wait to us, even with a FP, it was over 45 mins)

We have walked up to a restaurant and gotten seated, we have changed our "planned park" the morning of. It all depends on when you go and how you vacation. so, depending on when they were going, all of that information could have been correct.

Now, if they were going during Spring Break or just after Christmas... that's a different story... :crazy2:

now to your specific points: While you might enjoy ADR's, but it is entirely possible to eat at WDW without them. There are food options every 100 feet! I've done it many times.
True, but isn't the proper advice here to say: "If there is a specific place that you want to eat and really don't want to miss it, it would be best to make an ADR well in advance to lock that in. If you change your mind later, you can always cancel. But if you don't really have any strong preferences as to where or when your family eats, advance reservations are not necessary." Telling a person: "Nah! You don't need any stinkin' ADRs" may not fit your definition of "bad" advice, but it certanly fits the definition of incomplete or misleading. When the family hears or reads about BoG and wants to try it by doing a walk-up and gets turned away, the first thing they are going to think about is that "great" advice not to bother making an ADR.

To your third point, it is also enitrely possible to go to WDW and not do rope drop. Frequently I read bad advice on the DIS to arive by 8:30am. There's no reason or advantage to arriving at the parks before the gate opens.

Again, I won't quibble with the characterization of "bad" advice. But again, this is incomplete and would be known to be such by anyone who has ever been to WDW. The better approach would be to say: "It is not essential that you arrive at park opening. But guests who do so experience the parks a little differently than those who don't. At park opening, you can literally walk on to most attractions with no wait, and even the most popular ones have waits of no more than 10-15 minutes for the first hour or so. If you arrive 1-2 hours after the parks open, you can expect 15-25 minute waits for most attractions, and 40-60 minute waits for the most popular ones. It is all a matter of how you wish to spend your time. For example, some people arrive at DHS 1 hour before the park opens so that they can be first on TSM. In the end, those people have effectively waited 60 minutes to get on the ride. Other people arrive just around the time the park opens or a little later and get in the line and wait 45-60 minutes for the same ride. One group waits at the turnstile. The other group waits in the queue. Pick your poison. But the people who arrived early can then go over to ToT and RnR and knock those off with minimal 15-25 minute waits. The folks who arrive at or after park opening will wait 45-60 minutes for TSM, and then another 45-60 minutes for ToT and then another 45-60 minutes for RnR. You will get to ride all the rides, no doubt. But early arrivers do wait in shorter lines. That is simply a fact. But if a leisurely morning is more important than line length, by all means, arrive whenever you want."

Truly better than RD, is staying in the parks past midnight! If you arrive for RD, you only get about 90minutes. I rarely read anyone suggesting late nights in MK, but we've been doing late nights for years. Even during Easter week, many rides are walk-on late at night. Late night crowds vary, but otfen you get over two good hours. Plus the lighting is amazing!

And better yet, is doing both! But of course, on days when we arrive early and stay late, our next day is either a "day off" of a visit to World Showcase which does not entail getting up early the following day!

I think all of those points are pretty subjective. There isn't a "right" way to vacation. It's up to each and every family to decide. They may not have been the most informed people there but a lot of people think Photopass is just one more way to get people to spend their money. Pesonally I think a lot of the photopass pictures are cheesey. And, I've been going to Disney for over 30 years and I've never been to a rope-drop and don't really care if I ever do. We usually go during off-peak times. We might go early and we might to late - isn't that the beauty of staying there? The park's not going anywhere.

I am in the process of planning our first WDW vacation. I read through the advice and try to fit it into our vacation style. We are very laid back vacationers, but this probably is a once in a lifetime vacation for our family. My kids are young teens and we don't spend thousands of dollars on any vacations. Usually a week long vacation is $1500 dollars max, lodging, food, and attractions. This year I plan two weeks in Orlando and we will try to hit every major park except the water parks (we are not water park people). I am now trying to decide if rope drop is important to our family. We are staying off site, so EMH are not a factor. We are also not morning people. Just going to keep reading and see what advice will apply best to our family.

Interesting to read this today, because the other day in my city newspaper, a travel columnist was telling a reader that Christmas was not busy at Disney World. I thougt to myself that this person was in for a big surprise. :confused3

It's really annoying when it's a CM giving out bad advice. While waiting in line at Soarin' a CM was telling a family that she thought Club Cool was in the Land. First Day? I hope so!
:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter