Saratoga Springs Property Tax

The Prophet

Mouseketeer
Greetings All,

I just received my annual dues statement for 2007.

Estimated property tax/point for 2007 is listed as 1.0937
Actual property tax/point for 2006 is .0099

This does not sound right for 2006. Can someone else confirm that actual rate for 2006?

Thanks

The Prophet

Mine is the same for 2007 but for 2006 actual is .8659 prorated 365 days your figure could be for less then a year if you recently purchased.

Thanks Tor

I guess I ought to call member services and confirm

With the rate of .0099/point, a Big Mac would cost more than my 2006 property tax

As a follow-up spoke with accounting today and apparently everyone who purchased into unit 11A at Saratoga Springs has the same property tax valuation for 2006

Since the mistake was Disney's, they claimed that they will make good on the difference

As a follow-up spoke with accounting today and apparently everyone who purchased into unit 11A at Saratoga Springs has the same property tax valuation for 2006

Since the mistake was Disney's, they claimed that they will make good on the difference

I would get that in writing. My guess is that it will be made up with an adjustment at years end going on your next years dues.

If you get it in writing, congratulations.

Wow, I was unaware that DVC dealt with the assessments on a unit by unit basis. I had an earlier thread inquiring about the actual rate for 2005 (which seemed inconsistent with the history of the resort and the anticipated trend) of $1.1046. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1306559

Can anyone verify that the actual tax rate for 2005 was $1.1046?

Is the 11A error some type of typographical error rather than an assessment issue?

Wow, I was unaware that DVC dealt with the assessments on a unit by unit basis. I had an earlier thread inquiring about the actual rate for 2005 (which seemed inconsistent with the history of the resort and the anticipated trend) of $1.1046. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1306559

Can anyone verify that the actual tax rate for 2005 was $1.1046?

Is the 11A error some type of typographical error rather than an assessment issue?

It was explained to me that during 2006, not all units were fully constructed.
Since Saratoga Springs is still under construction, it makes sense that one would pay less tax for a unit that was constructed in 2006.

However, this does not apply to me since I purchased in 2004, prior to Saratoga Springs opening.

If I can locate my dues statement for last year, I will confirm the actual taxes for 2005.
I can confirm that my actual tax for 2006 is .0099/point, which appears to be some sort of error.

FWIW, Unit 11A is in the third SSR building opened (in the Congress Park section) and was opened summer of 2004.

My dues had the same .0099/points on the statement for SSR. I paid it without thinking too much about it until I saw this thread. Anyone else call about it?

I agree with Dumbo71 this is an estimate so it will be made up in the adjustment on next years dues.

If its their mistake, which it clearly is, and I tried in good faith to correct it, I now consider it their problem.

Can they send you an amended copy of the annual dues statement?

The Prophet

If its their mistake, which it clearly is, and I tried in good faith to correct it, I now consider it their problem.

Can they send you an amended copy of the annual dues statement?

The Prophet

I don't know if they can send an amended dues statement but I do not see why they can't it is an accounting error it is not as if this could be argued that you made your decision to purchase based on this. It was not promised to you. I look at it both ways if they send you your next years dues statement with a 2006 tax of $99.00/point would you be arguing that they can't amend it it was their mistake? Another point is the money is going to come from somewhere or out of something unless it was an error by the taxing authority it will need to be paid by the rest of us.

I don't know if they can send an amended dues statement but I do not see why they can't it is an accounting error it is not as if this could be argued that you made your decision to purchase based on this. It was not promised to you. I look at it both ways if they send you your next years dues statement with a 2006 tax of $99.00/point would you be arguing that they can't amend it it was their mistake? Another point is the money is going to come from somewhere or out of something unless it was an error by the taxing authority it will need to be paid by the rest of us.

I agree that someone or something has to make up the cost differential.
I did call and and try to correct it with no success....However, I do not have the time or energy to spend days pursuing this.

And if my 2007 tax was incorrectly calculated to $99/point, I would not pay until it was corrected.

The Prophet

I agree that someone or something has to make up the cost differential.
I did call and and try to correct it with no success....However, I do not have the time or energy to spend days pursuing this.

And if my 2007 tax was incorrectly calculated to $99/point, I would not pay until it was corrected.

The Prophet

Im not saying it is your job to correct it or to spend days doing it I believe by calling you fulfilled any obligation you have.

I don't think that an amended dues statement is out of the question and I don't think it is DVC's responsibility to eat the loss if it is discovered and corrected.

I just received a revised 2007 Annual Dues Statement showing the actual property tax for Saratoga Springs to be .8659/point (which I assume is the correct amount)

I figured there was something wrong when my account was not debited on January 15

The Prophet

I called Member Services about this issue this morning. The person I spoke to in Accounting confirmed that the 2006 Property Tax rate of 0.0099 on the Annual Dues Statement was an error. He said that the correct rate is 0.8659. He told me they mailed out new Annual Dues Statements to the affected members (as someone else mentioned this is only a portion of SSR owners) on Monday Jan 22. The correct information is online at the members website. DVC is expecting everyone to pay the correct amount for their dues...I do not see any reason for DVC to pay for this error as long as they provide the affected members with corrected Annual statements in a timely manner, seeing that they are also providing easy access to the correct info online.
I did not ask (because I pay monthly by direct debit, so it does not apply to me) whether there will be a grace period to pay the balance owing. I would think there would have to be - I don't think the error was caught until after the January 15th deadline. Anyone with vacations in the near future would not have their reservations canceled due to this error, according to the person from Accounting I spoke with. One last thing, the person from Accounting also said the payment for January was being withdrawn today (Jan 26).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter