Saratoga Springs Grand Villa

KANSAS

DIS Veteran
I was very dissapointed, with the high point requirement, for a grand villa. I realize, we will never again, see the point requirement, in future DVC RESORTS, like OLD KEY WEST

But, I thought that SARATOGA SPRINGS and OLD KEY WEST, were somewhat similar in location

the 2 bedroom units and grand villas, will be smaller at SS, than OKW
THE SS UNITS will require more points than OKW UNITS

and the price of the SS points, is all the way up to $89 per point

I am thinking of not adding on at SS, but getting a resale at OKW

IT will cost me less $ per point and require fewer points, to stay at a 2 bedroom unit or GRAND VILLA AT OKW, instead of SS

Please advise, what I am not considering

Unless you want the extra 12 years of membership or need Disney financing there is no reason to buy SSR if OKW contracts are available resale. The OKW rooms are larger, points are fewer (except for weekends in GV and certain seasons weekends for 1 and 2 bedrooms), layout preferable - in my opinion (with separate small buildings), has a full service restaurant, lower maintenance fees and lower point cost.

Nope, I don't think you missed anything.

I agree completely.

You are getting less value for every point spent at SSR.

The only thing it has going for it is the extra ten years.

I know, some people will like the design so much that it will make any shortcomings worthwhile, so this is only my humble opinion.

I just got the big mail ad for SSR. I was just about to start my own thread with basically the same subject.

The one and two bedrooms are the same tiny units with basically no dining area and a very tight living room area. Not even close to OKW comfort and beauty....but....

The GV is interesting. It is smaller than OKW by a pretty good chunk, but it is laid out nicely. You do have that same usless kitchen at the BWV/BWV/VWL units, but the dining room is full sized. That is nice, but I think the design is less desirable than that ot OKW. The dining room in the OKW GV is basically in the same room area as the living rom and kitchen. It lends itself to a much more open atmoshhere and more comfortable hanging out is seperate but together groups of family and friends.....the dining room and kitchen are basically in another room at SSR. I think this is less desirable.

The points are lower for the weekend GV there, I hope to spend a weekend in one to save points one day.

I think OKW is a much better deal than SSR and if it weren't for the extra ten years, I don't think a purchase there could be logically supported.

wow

I am really enjoying this thread

I expected people to tell me, I was really out in left field,
so many people seem to be excited about SS and buying add ons their

and two veterans of the DVC Board and DVC

seen to have similar thoughts to me

is this an accurate statement?

In the future years, many many SS point holders, will be attracted to the Lower point requirements, at OKW, for 2 bedroom and grand villas, versus their home resort of SS.

so great competition for OKW, at 7 month window
and the 11 month window, of owing OKW, as your home resort, will be really more imporatnt, in future years

#2.
also, how valuable is the extra 12 years AT SS, versus OKW, the next 10 years??

I also agree with Rich and JimC............If I wanted more pts, I would do a re-sale at OKW.You can always get in SS at the 7 month window if you are flexible.
I will take the larger units,less dues,less pts,etc of OKW anytime over SS.I will enjoy the option of staying at SS though at the 7 month window.:D

Many things determine the value of real estate. Location is one and both OKW and SSR have similar locations. SSR slightly better due to short walk to DTD. Size and features also have an effect on value, sounds like the pool at SSR will be a little more special than OKW.
Also adding value is age, whereas OKW is already around for a number of years SSR is Brand Spanking New, it has beautiful decor and nice new everything else.

I own OKW and love and wil continue going there but if I had the funds I would be proud to own any of the WDW DVC resorts.

To each his own...

To me SSR is ideal because of the location. There will be watercraft to Downtown Disney, which I find to be a draw. I think once people see the pool that they are imagineering, it is going to be a favorite.

I also like the comfort of the extra (I believe) 12 years. I want to be long dead before the end of my contract and be able to pass it on to my kids for their enjoyment and their kids enjoyment, as well. The extra 12 years assures this (well, if anything can be assured, that is!)

Plus, with purchasing sight unseen, you are paying 79 per point, as opposed to 84 or 89.

I trust Disney will come through with yet another winner.

I forgot about the pool. It does appear that DVC has gone all out in this design and if so, it will likely be a better pool than OKW.

Like tdrcDVC, I also would be proud to own at any of the DVC resorts. Heck, I enjoy staying at any of the Disney resorts, for different reasons and to enjoy the breadth of theming at WDW. I expect to stay at SSR and I expect to enjoy the stay.

Yet, I stand by my earlier post. Absent the specific factors I mentioned, I can not see any reason to buy at SSR if there are contracts available at OKW. OKW is a tremendous value, its well run, and its where I would buy more points.

The only thing SSR has is the twelve extra years.

THere is watarcraft from OKW to DD.

The pool and common areas already have an infrastructure that could be exploited to do something real nice. Its sad that Seasons won't be re-opening. Its even sadder that there may be no full service resturant.....Is that actually true?

I read that in a few places, is it true that there will actually be no full service eatery.

Richyams

it is my understanding, you are 100% correct, in your last statement on this thread

this is another reason, i was so dissapointed with SSR and am now looking at OKW as an add on

The ONLY advantage I see too is the extra 12 years. That being said...there is really NO advantage to me to add on at SSR. I love OKW for fewer points, more space better decore (I thought the photos of the decor were boring), little difference in distance from DTD, and I have cheaper dues and it costs less points to stay. I don't care about pools anymore.

Agree with Rich about Seasons. It was a very nice restaurant and I was surprised as well when there was no full service restaurant at SSR. Thank goodness we have Olivia's at OKW!

I am not a veteran here, but I am in the process of purchasing DVC points at OKW. I looked at the value of both SSR & OKW. Since these are my first points, I went for the immediate value. At 45 yrs of age, I am not sure that the 12 extra years means that much to me. (I would love to think that I will be spry enough to go to WDW at 95, but a dose of reality is in order)

I know that the lease will pass down to my daughter, but I just could justify the additional $10 per point to purchase at SSR.

However, if I were younger, I would have offered more weight to the longer lease. I think that for a 30 year old, from a financial perspective, the SSR date could be a better overall bargain.

While I think the SSR location may be a better location that OKW, I did not fall in love with the preview of the rooms. I can visit my folks to get the dark heavy wood decor.

Just my $0.02 (sorry if I rambled)

I have to go along with Rich on this one... :p

I would like to eventually do another add-on.. (It would be my third..) But, SSR just isn't attracting me as much as I thought it would..

SSR does have a cheaper point chart, but is not all that much cheaper than what I already have between BWV (standard views) and VB.. So that's not a good enough incentive...

The location doesn't appeal all that much to me.... Being a father of two small children (2Y and 6mos), we don't get all that much time to go to DD or PI...

I could live with not having a full service restaurent.. (We usually either eat out of the room, or in the parks...)

The twelve extra years might be incentive... I'm in my late twenties, and expect that I could get some use of of them until 2054... But... What other options will be available for SSR owners once 2042 hits? I imagine that the Concierge collection costs will be astronomical... II and the Disney Collection will be high... And, in theory, at least right now, there will be NO other DVC resorts in the collection.. (I'm sure there will be an answer to this question, but right now no one is sure what it will be..)

As the situation stands, I would more than likely opt more for an OKW, VB, or HHI resale rather paying $10 more /pt for 12 extra years...

Can somebody give me a sample of the Point Chart for SSR in October or tell me where I can find it on the web? I am not currently a DVC member, but am debating buying resale at OKW (where we have stayed twice - third time will be this October - we love it there) vs. new SSR.

Thanks.

I don't see any balconies indicated on the floor plans of the SSR brochure. Possible because there will be no "typical" porch, verranda or balcony for these units? IMHO there may be less outdoor space as well as indoor space in these new villas. I am basing my assumptions on the proposed artist rendering on the exterior and what appears to be stationary windows (like in MB of GV.) Even the BCV mailing indicated the porches, and we know how varied they are. Maybe we will learn more about this later - possibly not until after we have checked in. LOL. I think one 2BR unit and two 1BR units may be better for our family than a GV. Hey, 4 refrigerators instead of 1, 3 king size beds, 3 washers/dryers, 3 whirlpool tubs, etc. what's there not to like? All for about the same number of points Sunday-Thursday. In the past we have wanted GVs for the areas where we we can be together (LR, dining area, kitchen, porches), definitely not for the sleeping arrangements. SSR GVs don't appear to have these "together" spaces that we want in a GV.

disneymema

I have similar thoughts to you about the SSR&S GRAND VILLAS
not as attractive as OKW GRAND VILLAs.

Originally posted by jghra
Can somebody give me a sample of the Point Chart for SSR in October or tell me where I can find it on the web?
Thanks.

SSR-October-Choice season

Studio-Sun-Thurs-11pts day
Fri-sat-21 pts day
week-97pts

1BR Sun-thurs-22 pts day
Fri-Sat -42 pts day
week-194 pts

2BR Sun-Thurs-29 pts day
Fri-Sat- 55 pts day
week-255 pts

OKW- Oct Choice season

Stuidio Sun-thurs 8pts
fri-sat-21 pts
week-82 pts

OKW 1BR Sun-thurs-18 pts
fri-sat-41 pts
week-172 pts

OKW 2BR Sun-thurs-24 pts
fri-sat-56 pts
week-232 pts

Originally posted by jghra
Can somebody give me a sample of the Point Chart for SSR in October or tell me where I can find it on the web? I am not currently a DVC member, but am debating buying resale at OKW (where we have stayed twice - third time will be this October - we love it there) vs. new SSR.

Thanks.

Caskbill created and posted a great chart with point requirements for all DVC Resorts.

<a href="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=416317">Here is a link.</a>

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter