Saratoga room request with a 2 and 6 year old?

Mflaherty

Mouseketeer
WHat section is best for us? The paddock pool looks great but is it too far from the main building?? We won't have a car and want to catch the bus from the lobby bus stop to avoid circling the whole resort with excited kids. Congress park looks like there are amazing views to dtd but far from a good pool. How is the pool in the springs area? I know this is closest to the lobby,shops,restaurants etc but the views aren't that good. we will be walking to dtd a couple times as well. Any input would be great!! (For a February trip so swimming may not be an option???)

We stayed in the Paddock in 2010 (before the new and improved pool was in), and we LOVED it. Out the door, around the building and across the bridge to the main building. Very close to the pool and laundry. Easy walk to DTD, though we just really enjoyed taking the boat. At that time, we had kids at 14, 8, 7, and 4...it was all just so easy and restful!

WHat section is best for us? The paddock pool looks great but is it too far from the main building?? We won't have a car and want to catch the bus from the lobby bus stop to avoid circling the whole resort with excited kids. Congress park looks like there are amazing views to dtd but far from a good pool. How is the pool in the springs area? I know this is closest to the lobby,shops,restaurants etc but the views aren't that good. we will be walking to dtd a couple times as well. Any input would be great!! (For a February trip so swimming may not be an option???)

Like mhnewcomb said, there is a bridge that goes across the pond/lake in the middle of the resort from the Paddock pool area. So it's a direct walk over to the High Rock Springs pool and Artist's Palette.

Swimming in February, especially later in February should not be a problem. The pool is heated.

I would go with the springs. With kids and no car, you may need access to services like the shop. Also, the community hall has great crafts and activities for kids. The springs is not as scenic as some other areas, but the location is worth it - especially without a car.

We were in the paddock in September with our 8, 5 and 2yo. My 2yo had no problems walking the bridge to the main building, pool and bus stop a few times that week. It was 5 min, maybe. We all LOVED the Paddock area, the pool was fantastic, and the location was very convenient to everything. It was a great week :goodvibes

DH and I did an adults only weekend and were in the Grandstand. We liked this area as well, but both of us commented on how much easier the Paddock area was with kids. We were in the furthest bldg from the bus stop, and the walk to the main building wasn't far but it didn't feel as easy as the Paddock was. I don't know, you can't go wrong, SSR is fantastic...but I liked the Paddock with little ones :thumbsup2

The Paddock area would be my first request, with Springs Second and Granstand third. Paddock not only has fenced in pool, but also fenced in water playground. Staff comes and does afternoon crafts. Hot tub and bar and limited service CS. Short walk (w turtles for distraction) over bridge to main pools and Springs stop if that is the one you want to use. Almost everything the main pool has but on smaller scale. The bus stop is midway around. A few minutes and you are out of resort. We requested and received a building near paddock pool and did walk to/from DDT. It took about 15-20 minutes.

Keep in mind, DTD is huge and under construction. The path to SSR is at one end if DTD and it may be closed due to construction.. If you have a stroller, you will be fine. FYI, the bus from DTD always seems to take forever, the boat can be a bit long of a wait but it is a nice ride. Just make sure to get on right one!

If the bus ride is really important, stay at Grandstand (first on, first off). It has pool with hot tub and water cannons.

Springs is fine. But, not all are right next to main pool. You could be 4-5 minute walk away. But everything you need (if the store and restaurants are needs) is right there. My kids are big fans of the community halls and that is at the main pool along with ping pong and two hot tubs. The boat to DTD leaves from the back of the lobby/ restaurant building (which is in the Springs).

Congress park has DTD views with pool and, I think, a playground.

The only area really not to stay in is the Carousel area. No pool. Nothing to amuse kids without walking to another area.

Good comments except for one: While it's true that the Carousel section does not have its own pool, it's really not very far away from the Paddock area/pool...in fact, some of the Carousel buildings are closer to the Paddock pool/bus stop than the further -out buildings of the Paddock area...

Had our first stay in the Carousel section last June and I was flat-out amazed at how NOT inconvenient it is! I'd developed the "anti-Carousel" attitude, too, prior to my stay there...even asked to have my assigned villa moved to avoid having to stay there on my June trip...I was really really surprised that it's nowhere near as far from things as its reputation suggests!

While SSR is in fact very big, it's also "circular" (actually, elliptical)...don't follow the bus route and nothing is all that far away from anything else...

It's one of our favorite resorts...we really love it...

have fun!

...The only area really not to stay in is the Carousel area. No pool. Nothing to amuse kids without walking to another area.

Good comments except for one: While it's true that the Carousel section does not have its own pool, it's really not very far away from the Paddock area/pool...in fact, some of the Carousel buildings are closer to the Paddock pool/bus stop than the further -out buildings of the Paddock area...

Had our first stay in the Carousel section last June and I was flat-out amazed at how NOT inconvenient it is! I'd developed the "anti-Carousel" attitude, too, prior to my stay there...even asked to have my assigned villa moved to avoid having to stay there on my June trip...I was really really surprised that it's nowhere near as far from things as its reputation suggests!

While SSR is in fact very big, it's also "circular" (actually, elliptical)...don't follow the bus route and nothing is all that far away from anything else...

It's one of our favorite resorts...we really love it...

have fun!

For two adults, I would think the Carousel or Congress Park areas would be the best since everyone with kids suggests Paddock, Springs or Grandstand. And nothing is really miles away at SSR. It's just a pleasant walk around the resort.

We stayed in paddock near the congress park bus stop and it was a good fit. Closest to dtd and a decent bus stop. No matter where you are the bus rides are long. You could walk to dtd to catch disney transport there as it is located at the same end as the paddock for Saratoga springs. The walk to dtd was 10 minutes and to the main building it was 10 minutes. It's a huge resort, so that's part of the deal. It was our first dvc stay and, having since stayed at kidani (blt to come next) we wouldn't likely go back. Part of why we go to Florida is for a somewhat tropical diversion (Palm trees are key). SSR is meant to feel like upstate NY, which is near where we live. In any case, enjoy the trip!

I just came back today Grandstand 8500 building short walk to carriage house and 50 yards to bus stop first on the bus first off the bus

We've stayed in the Paddock area two times, both times with our two children, youngest was 4 the first time. We requested a room near the pool area and we were lucky both times. The pool area is great for kids, plus there is a quick service right there. The walk over the bridge is not far at all, and is very pleasant.

As far as walking to DTD, the last time we were there this past October, the walkway was closed because of the work they are doing in downtown. I'm not sure if is reopened by now.

The buses were not bad at all. IMO, I wouldn't let the bus situation stir you one way or another.

Good luck! :)

Just came back from 2 trips in Dec at SSR. The walkway to DTD was closed 12/17 but open 12/26 when we were there. One thing I didn't realize - the bus ride to DTD is quick but the ride back is very, very long. Take the boat back to the resort.

The walk from any of the buildings to the main pool/eateries is not that long and I don't know why people complain that it is. Walking from your car at the BWV parking lot, to the resort, to your room is longer than walking from the Paddock to the main pool/eateries. I've counted the steps. It is just that the SSR walk is outside the whole way.

I just came back today Grandstand 8500 building short walk to carriage house and 50 yards to bus stop first on the bus first off the bus

Having stayed at the Springs (last bus stop) and the Grandstand (first bus stop),I would pick the Grandstand every time. In addition to the convenient first on/first off bus stop,the Grandstand features its own pool and water spray area and its an easy walk to the Lobby/Carriage House with the Artist's Palette,Turf Club,and High Rock Springs Pool.

If you are at WDW for more than 4 days and rely on Disney transportation then it really becomes a factor on how much time you spend on the bus and with little ones it can make a big difference to the quality of your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter