• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SantaParadeTaping

:earsboy: Welcome to the DIS MagicAndPixieDust70 !! :earsboy:

They usually do the taping at the beginning of month of Dec.,like over the first weekend. From what I understand it takes several hours for them to tape.

Been to WDW twice during the taping of the parade, so I think I can help you with this one.

The taping is done over 2-3 days and mainly at the Magic Kingdom, although there were several acts taped in California or at the other parks. They usually tape the first weekend in December and it's done on a Saturday and Sunday. The taping is a very, very long process and usually they do several (5-10) takes to get it at different angles, etc. If you plan on being there for the filming, plan on spending most of the day sitting around Main Street waiting, then clapping, then waiting as they reset the shot, then clapping, then waiting some more. The parade is not like the afternoon parades that just go straight through. They do everything in pieces. Also, the days of taping finds the Magic Kingdom very, very crowded.

The first year I saw it, I was at the corner of Main Street for the taping of the end of the parade, then they shuffeled us over to the Tomorrowland entrance side of Main Street to watch the taping of the beginning. That year it took 12 takes to do this one piece (which did not end up as the beginning of the parade anyway), due to malfunctions with the music & Regis' microphone. That year I spent 1/2 a day on Saturday and 1/2 the day on Sunday watching them film 4 segments of the parade! I did see Wayne Brady, Johnny Reznik, as well as a few others. All of the music is taped ahead of time, so the performers are lip-syncing to their songs. I did see myself on tv that year at the beginning & ending, although very briefly.

The second year, I was there for part of it, when they taped Clay Aiken (who did not speak to anyone, nor did he sign autographs or have his picture taken with anyone) and Jump 5. Just these 2 portions took 4 hours. By then I had seen enough and headed to do the rest of the park. Also, they do not let anyone loiter around the booth where Regis & Kelly are. One year they were near the Tomorrowland entrance and the next year they were near Casey's. Most of the stage where they were sitting was closed off and there were CM's keeping people moving along the sidewalk between Casey's and the Crystal palace, so you could not stand there and watch.

I think it's really up to you and how much time you want to spend doing this. Personally, it was fun the first time, but probably won't do it again if they are taping while I'm there. Am actually hoping they tape the weekend before I get there.

We were there last year by mistake. I had no idea they were filming. I say mistake because I will never do it again. It was so crowded and getting down Main Street was so hard.

Windy City Heather said:
We were there last year by mistake. I had no idea they were filming. I say mistake because I will never do it again. It was so crowded and getting down Main Street was so hard.
It was very hard to get down Main Street, but once down, the attractions were easy to get on! I think everyone was on Main Stree!!!

We were there last year, the first week in Dec and saw them filming Mariah Carey in front of the castle. It was pretty cool. Each time a take ended, people would leave and you could move in a little closer to see her.

Angela

So, if you have NO interest in the parade is this a good day or bad day to hit MK? Sounds good to get on all the rides and stuff without the crowds that are watching the taping but is it too hard to get around the taping to make it worth it? We planned on doing MK on Sunday 12/4 for the morning and afternoon until we get kicked out because of MVMCP--is this a bad idea now if they are taping?

When I went in 2002 & 2003, I found it pretty crowded and trying to get up and down Main Street was extremely difficult. In 2002, they closed off the entrance to Tomorrowland to tape both the beginning sequence, as well as another performance, as well as the front of the castle. After experiencing this twice, did not think it was worth the hassle, so if they are filming one of the weekends I'm there, I'll think twice about hitting the Magic Kingdom, at least during the day.

BeccaGrace said:
So, if you have NO interest in the parade is this a good day or bad day to hit MK? Sounds good to get on all the rides and stuff without the crowds that are watching the taping but is it too hard to get around the taping to make it worth it? We planned on doing MK on Sunday 12/4 for the morning and afternoon until we get kicked out because of MVMCP--is this a bad idea now if they are taping?

Getting around the taping is a huge PITA. So many cast members were SO rude! We did write a letter to politely complain. We had forgotten about the taping and of course there's no mention til RIGHT at the gates to enter the MK. Something in the hotels would have been great to remind people before they trekked out for the day. But we explained that we understood that it's a hectic time for CMs but they need to remember that they still have paying guests, not just parade extras. Got a nice response, and they offered to comp us back a day on our park tickets which unfortunately we had used up and had thrown out so they couldn't access our info and verify that we were there that day. But it was still a nice gesture.

We're not 'park open' sorts of people, so we get there early afternoon which usually works early December. This time we got there and had maybe a half an hour before they let the extras loose so the MK was ridiculously crowded once all the people that got in as extras were allowed to be in the park for free. We left and went to another park to try and salvage the day. We did come back that night for Wishes and the park was a LOT more calm, and we had minimal, if any, wait for rides.

So I say if you go, be prepared to plan your day. If you plan on hitting the parks early then you can probably get most of the day done before the rest of the park gets crowded - but be prepared to either deal with the masses or take a break and head out for a few hours and come back when all the people that have been there all day are too tired to last any longer.

MyGoofy26 said:
Getting around the taping is a huge PITA. So many cast members were SO rude! We did write a letter to politely complain. We had forgotten about the taping and of course there's no mention til RIGHT at the gates to enter the MK. Something in the hotels would have been great to remind people before they trekked out for the day. But we explained that we understood that it's a hectic time for CMs but they need to remember that they still have paying guests, not just parade extras. Got a nice response, and they offered to comp us back a day on our park tickets which unfortunately we had used up and had thrown out so they couldn't access our info and verify that we were there that day. But it was still a nice gesture.

We're not 'park open' sorts of people, so we get there early afternoon which usually works early December. This time we got there and had maybe a half an hour before they let the extras loose so the MK was ridiculously crowded once all the people that got in as extras were allowed to be in the park for free. We left and went to another park to try and salvage the day. We did come back that night for Wishes and the park was a LOT more calm, and we had minimal, if any, wait for rides.

So I say if you go, be prepared to plan your day. If you plan on hitting the parks early then you can probably get most of the day done before the rest of the park gets crowded - but be prepared to either deal with the masses or take a break and head out for a few hours and come back when all the people that have been there all day are too tired to last any longer.

Thank you so much for your info...We are going to the MK the first Saturday of December and I have a feeling they will be taping when we are there...I hope that it is not as bad as I am imagining it to be...I guess if I just focus on myself and my DH having a good time, I won't notice the mass confusion from the parade. What time did they start taping the parade? We are planning on eating at Crystal Palace at 8:00am. Are the parade people already there that early? Thanks, again!

When I went in 2002, there was a voice mail message left on my resort room phone talking about this. When I went in 2003, there was no indication they were doing this until you actually got inside the Magic Kingdom. That year ran into some pretty rude cm's that were not on duty, but there anyway. One made several rude and sarcastic remarks about guests lining up to view this and said that the taping of the parade should be closed off to just cm's like them. :snooty: I looked at the dad & his daughter standing next to me in disbelief, then politely reminded them that without guests, you would not have a job. :mad: She and her little group huffed off. I have to admit that 2002 was more organized than in 2003 and the cm's were nicer.

They started filming the parade on Main Street by 8:30-9am I believe and it went on most of the day both Saturday & Sunday, ending around 5pm (I think).

If you plan to go to the MK, just arrive early for your PS and avoid the hub & Main Street for as long as you can. You should avoid most of that hassle until you have to leave.

daisy_77 said:
Thank you so much for your info...We are going to the MK the first Saturday of December and I have a feeling they will be taping when we are there...I hope that it is not as bad as I am imagining it to be...I guess if I just focus on myself and my DH having a good time, I won't notice the mass confusion from the parade. What time did they start taping the parade? We are planning on eating at Crystal Palace at 8:00am. Are the parade people already there that early? Thanks, again!

I *think* that they start letting the extras into the park a little before park open. At least from what I've read from people who signed up to be extras, that's what I understood. So the people are already there, but I'd imagine it would be AS hectic yet. There were still extras coming in when we got there at like 1030 or 11, so I don't think they're required to be there that early and a lot of people take their time.

When we went in they wouldn't let us bear left (we wanted to do our traditional first stop at the Emporium, haha) We had to walk up the right side of Main Street, and loop back around in front of the castle. When we left the park about an hour or so later, they were letting people cross the street, so I think it had something to do with the floats being out and getting ready to start taping another shot of that part of the parade - they wouldn't let people cross in the path so they could hurry and get the floats 'backstage' and looped back around to line up again. So be prepared to give yourself a few more minutes to get to the Crystal Palace in case you have to loop all the way up by the Castle instead of just crossing the street. Cutting through the stores might also be quicker than trying to maneuver the sidewalk.

Ugh...this is the only good morning we have for MK in our schedule unless we go Monday morning which I thought was usually a crowded day. If you had a choice--would you go Sunday for opening through mid-afternoon and avoid Main Street or would you go Monday morning?

We avoided MK the rest of that weekend, except that one evening we went just to see Wishes (and ended up riding a few things before park close since it was so dead at night) We did finally go back on Monday and it wasn't bad at all.

If you park hop, I'd recommend jumping to the MK in the evening. If you plan on doing AK, since it closes so much earlier you could easily do that park Saturday during the day, go back to your room and relax and have dinner and then jump to the MK to finish the evening and take advantage of the lack of crowds at night.

BeccaGrace said:
If you had a choice--would you go Sunday for opening through mid-afternoon and avoid Main Street or would you go Monday morning?
Don't worry too much about Sunday--they generally only use Sunday if they went overschedule on Saturday, or to film just a few last things. It won't be nearly as bad as Saturday will be. However, I have to say I didn't find Saturday to be a problem either, and I have been there twice for this. Sure, you have to go around it occasionally, and won't want to hang out on Main Street at all unless you are watching the parade, but it was no big deal. I didn't find the park any more crowded than a usual Saturday in that season. (well, more crowded on Main street of course, but not anywhere else)

I certainly wouldn't avoid MK on this day, it was fun to see it briefly, lol, then move on further into the park and hit the rides. Once into the park you will probably forget they are taping. Bonus: the celebs and their families are there enjoying the parks and resorts, if that interests you.

Terk-1 said:
When I went in 2002, there was a voice mail message left on my resort room phone talking about this. When I went in 2003, there was no indication they were doing this until you actually got inside the Magic Kingdom. That year ran into some pretty rude cm's that were not on duty, but there anyway. One made several rude and sarcastic remarks about guests lining up to view this and said that the taping of the parade should be closed off to just cm's like them. :snooty: I looked at the dad & his daughter standing next to me in disbelief, then politely reminded them that without guests, you would not have a job. :mad: She and her little group huffed off. I have to admit that 2002 was more organized than in 2003 and the cm's were nicer.

They started filming the parade on Main Street by 8:30-9am I believe and it went on most of the day both Saturday & Sunday, ending around 5pm (I think).

If you plan to go to the MK, just arrive early for your PS and avoid the hub & Main Street for as long as you can. You should avoid most of that hassle until you have to leave.

I cannot believe how rude those CM's were! I guess they weren't working so they can be themselves. I will still plan on going Saturday, the 3rd, and go to CP for breakfast. We were going to have a taxi take us to the MK that morning anyway just to guarantee that we get there in time. After breakfast we will go and stay away from Main Street. Thanks for your info...it really helps! :Pinkbounc

Not the Christmas parade taping but rather one of the Regis and Kelly shows. I happened to enter MK during a mid-May taping, the show was just inside the park entrance in a roped off area. Some guests stood outside Tony's restauirant, others at the near end of Main St. etc. hoping to be caught on camera. It wasn't that crowded. I hung around nearby for most of the taping. The audio track was not loud enough for me to hear from where I was standing so I could not follow the show.

Only guests who called in advance and who got tickets were allowed to sit in the show audience.

I supposed that during the Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. parade tapings they choose which "take" goes into the final show so if you were lucky enough to be caught on camera for what looked like a good take, that does not mean you will see yourself on TV on broadcast day.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

The people that were near us also heard her say that, so they clapped and cheered louder. By the next time the director yelled cut, they stormed off. Yippee!!! It's a shame to run into people like that on vacation, but I think worse when it's a cm. In my honest opinion, I wish they would tape it on a weekday, when the park is not as busy. Saturday's in December are usually busier at the Magic Kingdom and this just adds to the crowds. I'm kinda hoping they tape it that first weekend in December, so I can enjoy my other 2 Saturday's in the park.

They also tape that Friday. I think they are looking for crowds so that is why they tape on the weekend.

Last year we went by accident. We lived in Tampa at the time and we decided to make a day trip. We didn't even know what was going on until we had already gotten our tickets. I was fuming! They could at least let you know at the ticket window. :mad:

When I saw Main St. I wanted to cry. There were so many people! We didn't have a ton of cash and that day trip was all that would be happening Disneywise for awhile. On top of that it was the first time my boys had ever been to the Magic Kingdom.

Once we got past Main St. things got better. We were able to do everything we wanted to and when it got dark half the park seemed to vanish. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I wouldn't do it again if I could avoid it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter