• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Santa Monica Pier to Hollywood

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
To do both in one day, which should we go to first? In Hollywood we would want to see the walk of fame, the Hollywood sign, etc the usual tourist stuff. In Santa Monica we would want to visit the pier and/or beach nearby? Any advice on which we should do first, and what kind of travel time are we looking at?

Personally, I like doing Hollywood first, then ending up at Santa Monica. I have done the following in one day: Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood & Highland, Santa Monica Pier, La Brea Tar Pits, Grove/Farmers Market.

You need to also factor in the time of year. In June, it won't get dark until 8pm. Today, sunset was at 5:06 (I watched it from the beach). So you have a 3-hour difference in daylight depending on the time of year.

I agree with @Mary Jo Hollywood is much nicer in the morning / afternoon. Park at the parking structure at Hollywood and Highland. Then you are right in the centre of the best part of The Walk of Fame. The parking structure is under the Hollywood and Highland Mall. At the back of the mall there is a photo opportunity area with the Hollywood sign

Exit the mall, turn right and you are at The Chinese Theatre and Madame Tousards. Across the street is The Disney Soda Fountain and Store. Walk up from Disney to corner of Hollywood and Highland for the best souvenir shops. Have lunch at Mels Diner on Highland Avenue, then go back and collect your car.

Drive from the parking structure at Hollywood and Highland down Highland Avenue to Santa Monica Boulevard. This will bring you direct to Santa Monica, through West Hollywood and Beverly Hills to Santa Monica. Park in Parking Structure number 6 on 2nd Street. This will give you the best place to see Santa Monica. 3rd Street shopping Promenade is great for shopping, restaurants and has lots of street entertainment Santa Monica Place is the main mall and then there is the Pier.

I agree with @Mary Jo Hollywood is much nicer in the morning / afternoon. Park at the parking structure at Hollywood and Highland. Then you are right in the centre of the best part of The Walk of Fame. The parking structure is under the Hollywood and Highland Mall. At the back of the mall there is a photo opportunity area with the Hollywood sign

Exit the mall, turn right and you are at The Chinese Theatre and Madame Tousards. Across the street is The Disney Soda Fountain and Store. Walk up from Disney to corner of Hollywood and Highland for the best souvenir shops. Have lunch at Mels Diner on Highland Avenue, then go back and collect your car.

Drive from the parking structure at Hollywood and Highland down Highland Avenue to Santa Monica Boulevard. This will bring you direct to Santa Monica, through West Hollywood and Beverly Hills to Santa Monica. Park in Parking Structure number 6 on 2nd Street. This will give you the best place to see Santa Monica. 3rd Street shopping Promenade is great for shopping, restaurants and has lots of street entertainment Santa Monica Place is the main mall and then there is the Pier.

This is some good detailed information. We have been tossing around the idea of a one day bus tour to see theses things. How is the driving? If we were to do this on a Monday, what time should we leave Anaheim? We're a little intimidated by the infamous freeways and traffic we hear about out there.

I'd schedule an hour to drive from Hollywood to the Pier, where I'd stay until at least 7pm (later is better) before heading to Anaheim.

This is some good detailed information. We have been tossing around the idea of a one day bus tour to see theses things. How is the driving? If we were to do this on a Monday, what time should we leave Anaheim? We're a little intimidated by the infamous freeways and traffic we hear about out there.

I have done this with several DIS friends over the years, and I usually time it to get to the Observatory by 10am or so. I usually go on Saturdays, so on a Monday, you can expect some traffic. I recommend downloading WAZE on your iPhone or Android so you can gauge how long it will take to get where you are going. I think if you leave by 8:30/9am, even dealing with traffic, you'll be okay. If I remember correctly, though, some museums are closed on Mondays (e.g., Griffith Park Observatory), so check availability, depending on where you want to go. Expect about 1 hour - 2 hour drive in the morning to Hollywood, depending on the traffic. I agree with hodad about waiting until after 7pm to return to Anaheim because of the traffic.

@melk - the traffic isn't really fast; it's just extremely busy, so bring good music or conversation to entertain you on the drive. BadPinkTink has a good itinerary, and you can play around with things to do based on your time. One time, I took some friends to the Observatory, and they spent so much time checking it out I had to drop some of the other things I had planned to visit. But it was all good. More times than not, you have more fun checking out things that interest you more in depth, than hurrying to see everything in a rush, because it's a blur.

Thanks, I dont drive but over the last 6 years I have been with various groups of friends who either live in LA or have rented a car. The drive from Anaheim to Hollywood Boulevard could take over an hour, depending on the traffic. I'm not going to lie, as a European who does not drive, the motorways and the traffic are manic. BUT it is doable. Just plan out the route before hand and know your exits and lanes. One of my UK friends did this, he had typed out the route at home and would hand the paper to the person in the passenger seat who would then remind him of exits and lanes.

If you were to do this on a Monday, I would aim to be at the Hollywood and Highland parking structure by 11am. This would mean leaving Anaheim around 9am, to avoid the main morning rush hour.

Have lunch at Mels around 2pm, again to avoid the lunch time rush. Then collect the car around 3.30pm and leave around 1 hour travlel to time Santa Monica

Thanks, I dont drive but over the last 6 years I have been with various groups of friends who either live in LA or have rented a car. The drive from Anaheim to Hollywood Boulevard could take over an hour, depending on the traffic. I'm not going to lie, as a European who does not drive, the motorways and the traffic are manic. BUT it is doable. Just plan out the route before hand and know your exits and lanes. One of my UK friends did this, he had typed out the route at home and would hand the paper to the person in the passenger seat who would then remind him of exits and lanes.

If you were to do this on a Monday, I would aim to be at the Hollywood and Highland parking structure by 11am. This would mean leaving Anaheim around 9am, to avoid the main morning rush hour.

Have lunch at Mels around 2pm, again to avoid the lunch time rush. Then collect the car around 3.30pm and leave around 1 hour travlel to time Santa Monica

You're from Ireland, right? I'm impressed that you guys not only tackled our busy freeways, but tackled them having to drive on the other side of the road. I've driven in Spain, but I don't know if I would drive in the UK.

You're from Ireland, right? I'm impressed that you guys not only tackled our busy freeways, but tackled them having to drive on the other side of the road. I've driven in Spain, but I don't know if I would drive in the UK.

thanks, you sound like my Cali friend, she gets worried about us Irish and UK renting a car and driving in LA and if she is free always insists on being our driver lol.

Its all about the planning and looking after the driver. Like we have a rule that the passengers wont fall asleep if we are driving back to our hotel late, or helping with navigation etc.

Thanks for this thread and advice. We are trying to decide what to do with our one non-park day in April and this sounds like a great itinerary for my Hollywood obsessed 10-year old daughter with some beach time for my 13 and 8 year olds. Have to try to keep everyone happy.

We arrive in Anaheim on a Saturday, so I'm thinking about doing Hollywood & Santa Monica on Sunday and just rent a car for the one day. Does anyone see any issues with this plan. We understand that we'll likely encounter traffic no matter what we decide and we're familiar with using Waze for getting around at home.

@Luv_Tink Go for it :)
I have stayed in Santa Monica many times and its my favourite part of LA. There is plenty of food options for all types of budgets both on 3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Place Mall. There is also a Bubba Gumps restaurant on the Pier, complete with a photo op bench :)

The drive from Chinese Theatre/ Hollywood Boulevard on Santa Monica Boulevard to Santa Monica brings you past many famous sites. Check it out on Google Maps :) Look out for The Beverley Hills Shield on the sidewalks for example as you drive along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter