Sanford to Ft. Lauderdale

aharbin88

DIS Veteran
Cruising for the first time next year, and I'd like to fly into Sanford. Does anyone know if cruise lines offer transfers from Sanford or are car services/rentals our only option?

I don't believe any of the cruise lines offer transfers to Port Everglades from SFB.
A car service is going to be very costly since it's almost a 4 hour drive (250 miles), if yyou can even find one to make the run.

A car rental will probably be your best bet, but be forewarned... traffic is horrendous when you get that far south and the toll roads are Cashless (Sunpass Only)

The other option would be to look at flying into FLL, may be more expensive than SFB but you will save on the ground transportation costs to the Port and the aggravation of driving in the area. There are very cheap shuttles to the port from FLL

Last option I would look at is, if you are firm on flying into SFB, you may be able to get a reasonably priced flight from SFB to FLL and co-ordinate your transportation this way.

I believe that you could use the train or the Megabus, but this would also involve complicated transfers to and from the bus or train terminals. Not worth your precious vacation time IMHO.

*****Another thought I'm going to throw out to you, if you're going to fly into SFB, why not check out the cruising options from Port Canaveral. It's much closer and ground transportation will be considerably cheaper.

Last edited:
A rental is pretty much your only option ... a hire car will cost $. you can get from Sanford to Fort Lauderdale without getting near a toll road. The traffic isn't that bad if you are used to driving highways in major cities. In fact even in that regard it won't be much until you get about 30 miles from Lauderdale. Expect I-95 to run at 75 until you get around west Palm Beach and then it can pick up a bit.

I agree with previous posters that recommend flying into FLL. We rented a car once and drove from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale for a relative's wedding. It's a long drive and not fun/interesting at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter