Sandra Bullock donates $1 million to Red Cross

It is probably her way of saying to other celebrities Ok its your turn now without pointing a finger. Way to go Sandra. What about all the studios that make more money than the actors? where are they?

I think what she did was wonderful...a Million Dollars is a lot of money, even for a rich celebrity. I doubt she's doing this for any other reason than to help people, in fact, she probably made the donation and someone at the Red Cross made it public.

Either way, it was a really classy move - Go Sandra!

Parkhopper said:
I may be flamed for my opinion, but here goes: I think it is WONDERFUL that Sandra decided to donate her money to those in need and if her donating (being made public) spurs others on to donate to help those poor unfortunate people, then GOOD!

Suzi

Exactly!!!

whirlsy said:
What about all the studios that make more money than the actors? where are they?
ITA. The studio that produced "The Beach" -- that Leonado DiCaprio post-Titanic flop -- filmed in one of the areas that was devastated.

Wouldn't it be nice if they donated a million or two?

Parkhopper said:
I may be flamed for my opinion, but here goes: I think it is WONDERFUL that Sandra decided to donate her money to those in need and if her donating (being made public) spurs others on to donate to help those poor unfortunate people, then GOOD!

Suzi

I agree..I just don't like that people are saying--well where is so and so...did they give...that I think is just plain wrong.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
I agree..I just don't like that people are saying--well where is so and so...did they give...that I think is just plain wrong.
I agree. Rich or not, I think it's up to each person what they give if anything and to what cause.

Besides, it's not just celebrities that could give a lot. What about politicians, oilmen and so on? What about donations from companies themselves?

Parkhopper said:

Suzi

::yes::

ITA!

Im not one for " Hey look at me, I donated" type things BUT IN this case, I think it might inpsire someone else to get out there and donate and perhaps More celebrities will jump on the bandwagon and together we will all make a big difference!

Lisa loves Pooh said:

I disagree. I think that we should all be saying it LOUDLY enough for people who are so well off to hear it and respond. If you have the good fortune to make $20,000,000 pretending to be someone else for four months, you should be ponying up the cash now. If you are a titan of business and are lucky enough to make millions every year, you should be reaching into those deep pockets of yours. There should be shame associated with the rich who are doing nothing. If you have it within your means to make this horror better, you should. Kudos to Ms. Bullock for donating.

Erin :D

I liked Sandra before this and now I have a new found respect for her. I have a feeling it won't be long until we hear of other actors/actresses doing the same.

mrsltg said:
I disagree. I think that we should all be saying it LOUDLY enough for people who are so well off to hear it and respond. If you have the good fortune to make $20,000,000 pretending to be someone else for four months, you should be ponying up the cash now. If you are a titan of business and are lucky enough to make millions every year, you should be reaching into those deep pockets of yours. There should be shame associated with the rich who are doing nothing. If you have it within your means to make this horror better, you should. Kudos to Ms. Bullock for donating.

But maybe many of them are donating and do so on a regular basis. Some people are very private about such things. And of course, maybe many of them are selfish pigs. ;)

Way to go Sandra Bullock!!! :cheer2:

I agree that whatever somebody chooses to donate should be a private matter, but celebrities are public figures anyway, and like somebody else said, if it spurs others to give, then all the better.

I've read where various corporations are donating $40 or $50 million for the inauguration. Wouldn't it be a great gesture for Pres. Bush to say "let's tone down the inaugural party and take half that money and send it for tsunami relief." Boy, would THAT boost his image!!!

(I know it'll never happen, but we're spending soooo much on the war in Iraq and now the tsunami relief - maybe we should cut back on something frivolous like all the inaugural parades and parties.)

It's not my business to be concerned with what others do with their money. As for Sandra Bullock, good for her. But I just don't get the attitude that anyone who's "rich" should pony up dough now. It's their money and they have every right to do with it as they please. Sure, it'd be a nice gesture to donate. But I'm in no position to judge what others do or do not contribute to charities. Judge your own situation and leave it at that.

Amy said:
Way to go Sandra Bullock!!! :cheer2:

I agree that whatever somebody chooses to donate should be a private matter, but celebrities are public figures anyway, and like somebody else said, if it spurs others to give, then all the better.

I've read where various corporations are donating $40 or $50 million for the inauguration. Wouldn't it be a great gesture for Pres. Bush to say "let's tone down the inaugural party and take half that money and send it for tsunami relief." Boy, would THAT boost his image!!!

(I know it'll never happen, but we're spending soooo much on the war in Iraq and now the tsunami relief - maybe we should cut back on something frivolous like all the inaugural parades and parties.)

It's not his money spend. Not to mention, that money is long since spent. I don't believe that any one corporation donated $50 mil. The entire cost for every state gala and all of the security that goes along with the parade and actual ceremony is about $30 million. I know that my company has bought a couple of tables at some of the larger galas and it's costing us about $10k a piece. Our CEO gave a million of his own money to match the million the company donated to the NYPD and NYFD after 9/11. I'm willing to bet he'll be reaching into his ample pockets if he hasn't done so already. We also have a presence in the countries effected, so I expect some sort of employee drive.

I didn't realize that celebrities are required to publically announce their large monetary donations and must donate for every natural disaster. Sandra Bullock donated a lot of money- that's fabulous. but let's hold off a bit with the tar and feathers. It's only been a week.

Maybe other celebrities have donated money privately, to charities all along this year, or maybe (like others) they are still deciding which organization to donate through.

I'll stay out of the fray over what others should do with their money and how they should do it, and just add my thanks to Ms. Bullock. This is the second time she has donated a million dollars to the Red Cross. The first was following 9/11. She shows class and compassion.

I love Sandra so much....even more so after reading this. She is showing so much kindness in this gesture for those poor people in south Asia.

Amy said:

That is exactly what my husband and I said the other day. The president should ask his supporters to give their money that was to go for the inauguration to the tsunami victims and just have a small swearing in ceremony. Just think how positively that would be viewed by the world. It's his second term, so why even have an inauguration, anyway.

momof2inPA said:
That is exactly what my husband and I said the other day. The president should ask his supporters to give their money that was to go for the inauguration to the tsunami victims and just have a small swearing in ceremony. Just think how positively that would be viewed by the world. It's his second term, so why even have an inauguration, anyway.

That money was already collected well before the tragedy occured.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter