Sandles and problem feet

Just to add to this thread. Great product suggestions but when breaking in shoes for WDW you need to walk on concrete. Alot of concrete. Before my first trip I got up to 5 miles a day but not on concrete - carpeting, mall-walking - I got awful blisters. So I checked with experts and they said it was probably due to me not walking 5 miles a day on concrete.

Just a thought. Enjoy your trips!! Ely

Not that I'd ever contradict an 'expert', but blisters are caused by a combination of heat, friction and/or moist skin. Maybe the difference in your case is malls and carpeted areas are usually conditioned for more comfortable temperatures and humidity, unlike the concrete walkways in WDW. Possibly the right solution for the wrong reason. :)

And I'll always maintain you need to wear new shoes to verify they won't cause a problem, not to break them in. They should flex and breath properly right off the factory line, not after you torture your feet. Hockey skates, that's a different story. :)

Now shin splints, that I can see being caused by concrete walking.

-Joe

I wear ECCO walking sandal, I wear a women's size 11. They have a velcro strap over the top of the foot towards the heel, the front of the sandal towards the toes has a nice wide band of leather to keep the foot secure . I found my at Nordstrom's I believe can find them on the internet.

Good luck :)

I just bought my 5th pair of Merrells today. They have great support, the sole is like a sneaker. I like the ones without straps but they also have ones with straps. Before I found Merrells I couldn't walk all day in sandals and sneakers make my feet hot.

If you want to try something less expensive, try the Earth Shoes at WalMart.

We were at WDW in April and all I wore were sandals. It is best to have 2 pairs so you don't wear the same ones everyday.

I think that Clarks are the best. I put them on in the store, and I haven't taken them off since! I've had plantar fascitis for two years, but my feet don't bother me when I wear Clarks (even walking around WDW). You can get them at department stores such as JC Penney, and they often go on sale. I got my Clarks sandals for about $39 on sale. I highly recommend them if you need a comfortable shoe. They also make clogs for the winter.

I vote for Birkenstocks,but like the others said,allow for a breakin time before the trip.They now offer soft sole for some styles and also waterproof sandles for around the pool. If you wanted a sneaker shoe You should look into Ryka walking shoes,they are made to fit Womens feet. All of these shoes could be ordered by using www.QVC.com or by calling QVC at 1-800 345-1515.The ordering operators are very friendly there. The outlet mall in Orlando is good to look for the Birkies,as long as you allow time to break them in. They might be pricey,but certainly worth it. Your feets comfort is important in how well you enjoy your stay. IMHO

I don't have any problems with my feet, but my husband does. Also, he only wears tennis shoes when he's not at work, and didn't even own a pair of sandals. Knowing WDW was coming up, and knowing I thought he should have some comfortable sandals (for the trip as well as for his costume at MNNSHP), I bought some Earth Shoe sandals at Wal Mart in his size.

He swore he would never wear sandals, but he LOVES these! I remember earth shoes when we were kids and I had a very comfortable pair back then.

These were $15. They are leather, completely SOFT, padded all over, and he wears these almost all of the time.

They have a sculpted insole, but it's SOFT. . .flexible, they're really high quality and an unbelievable price--which is really why I bought them. Knowing his feelings about sandals, I didin't want to spend a lot for shoes that were uncomfortable or that he hated just because they were sandals. But, he LOVES these, and he's very picky about shoes. His tennis shoes are expensive, his shoes/boots he wears at work or when we go out are high quality. These are just a great buy, and he couldn't be happier about them.

I have all kinds of foot problems and I am a diabetic.

I wear and like the Eccos also but I can't wear them for DW.
The only thing I can wear is the Brooks Ariel or one of the Saconys.

I've got hammer toes and something on the bottom of my foot that I thought was a wart but the podiatrist says is something else. He puts a pad under the removable liner and it makes a big difference.

I also find that wearing Thorlo socks makes as much difference as a good shoe.

Originally posted by jbthi
I also find that wearing Thorlo socks makes as much difference as a good shoe.

Me too. I love the Thorlo socks.

Just FYI, for anyone who wears a custom orthotic, Bite brand sandals are made to accomodate them; as far as I know, the only non-custom sandal that will.

http://www.biteshoes.com/orthosport/index.htm

They are not especially cheap, but if you want a sandal and need your orthotic, this is your easiest way to manage it.

Not an expert either -
but . . . I get very sore feet, and want to second the birkenstock replies. DH and I both have some. ) have had mine for over 7 years (!!), and they are still in great shape. They really mold to your feet well. Also - wear sneakers!! So comfortable!! New Balance is great. A colleague of mine has to wear orthopedic inserts, and New Balance work great for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter