Sandals or Sneakers?

Jules54

Earning My Ears
I have a question about shoes. I am debating between sandals such as Teva's or Chaco's vs sneakers and socks. I know there will be a ton of walking and wondered if anyone has done the trip in sandals? That would be my preference but I am concerned about the amount of walking. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a question about shoes. I am debating between sandals such as Teva's or Chaco's vs sneakers and socks. I know there will be a ton of walking and wondered if anyone has done the trip in sandals? That would be my preference but I am concerned about the amount of walking. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sandals no question. I have no idea how people wear socks/sneakers. My feet would catch fire or melt onto the pavement.:goodvibes

I have done both. I use band-aid blister block and that helps with blisters. I found that alternating between socks and sneakers and the sandals seems to help as well. I have used Reebok walking sneakers, but try to make sure they have some mesh/fabric to them. All leather will hold in the moisture and make your feet blister much more quickly. My sandals are Rockports, and have quite a bit of support as well. Basically, whatever you are most comfortable walking in at home should do the trick!:thumbsup2

Sandals! I wore a merrel sandal last month on our trip and it was perfect. Those with me in sneakers on the day it rained were not so happy!! I thought I'd alternate each day, but quickly decided not to - my feet would just be too hot in socks all day, and uncomfortable if wet. My kids wore keens every day, even with princess dresses!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I always take both! Depending how you schedule your day, swop day to day or for the afternoon/evening.
We tend to head back to our villa/room in the late afternoon to freshen up for the evening dinner or entertainment.
So wear trainers during the day (when you will be racing around) and put on sandals in the evening. It will give you a nice break from any hot spots.

If you aren't one for heading back during the day, wear trainers one day then sandals the next :)

Rotating shoes is an old running trick. In fact, I have heard of some people actually keeping track of how many days they run in each shoe and some people will even switch shoes out during marathon runs (I personally think that is a waste of time). Still alternating between Tevas and running/walking shoes is a great idea. I personally found my running shoes to be more comfortable but that is me and I have a pair of Tevas. I could wear this most of the time.

I switch between Teva's and Crocs at WDW. I don't like to wear sneakers at home unless I'm working out, and I don't like them at the parks. My DH only wears sneakers at the parks. He tried his Keens that he wears around the house, but was uncomfortable. I think whatever you're most comfortable with going for a walk is what you'll be comfortable in at the parks.

I use both but I prefer sneakers during the day. I have a pair of Brooks PureConnect 2 Road Running shoes that are amazing. I also wear moisture-wicking socks. I wore these shoes on my last trip. It rained terrentially the whole time we were in DHS and my feet felt dry the whole time. I alternate between those and a pair of Sketchers walking shoes for the majority of the time I'm there. I have a pair of Tevas that I wear at night or in the afternoon if we go back to the hotel. For me I just feel like the sneakers provide more support for a day full of walking but it is really a matter of preference. Everybody's feet are different! :)

I wear Clarks sneakers with wick away socks and when I go back to the park after resting I wear my Clarks flip flops:) No problem at all.. the socks don't make feet hot or sweat...good luck with whatever you decide:)

This will be my first trip with sneakers in a long time and it was actually a hard decision for me. I deal with foot and knee pain on a daily basis, and it was getting worse. So I broke down and bought some reebok ziglites. Best shoes I have ever worn. I had to decide whether I would want hot feet at the end of the day or unbearable pain. Hot feet won. I do plan in taking extra socks in case they get wet and have sandals for non-park time. I'm excited to see how much better my feet feel after a day in the parks!!!

Sandals no question. I have no idea how people wear socks/sneakers. My feet would catch fire or melt onto the pavement.:goodvibes

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I sooooo agree! My go to shoes for WDW are my beloved OluKai Ohana flip flops. I can't wear cheapo flip flops down there, but love my OluKai Ohanas.:cloud9: The one time I wore what I thought were well broken in sneakers, was the time I got a blisters. Like you I thought my feet were going to burn up all week. I round up in a pair of flip flops I had brought just to wear to the pool and haven't worn sneakers down there since.

Ok 1st thing is.......... I LOVE SHOES!!!:rotfl2:

Now that's out of the way, I always bring 1 or 2 pairs of Sneakers or deck shoes and a couple pairs of sandals/flip flops - I find that changing around seems to help my feet not get blisters, and seem to hurt less.

I read somewhere on the boards to bring a pair to swap out when your feet begin to heat up. I wore my Keen sandals during the day and around dinner time I would swap out to flip flops(they don't take up much room in the backpack) I would also bring a pair of socks for a little variation if needed. It worked quite well.

When I switched over to the flip flops I didn't realize how much my feet were really hurting. Eight hours on your feet will affect your feet no matter what you wear.

I hope this helps you some way.:thumbsup2

I like Toms, I just alternate between pairs. I've always gotten blisters at Disney - until I switched to Toms! No blisters, not even any "hot spots" that could develop into blisters!

This year, I've got two pairs of amphibious hiking shoes though and may wind up wearing those some though - I've taken one pair on several long hikes up and down the sides of bluffs, through creek beds and such and my feet have been comfy the whole time. They're definitely something to look into, as you get the benefit of a sandal with the protection of a sneaker/hiking shoe.

I have two favorite water sandals, one is a Teva and one (my favorite of the two) came from Walmart of all places - it was a desperation buy when I had to get SOMETHING and was stuck with only that option - but they're more comfortable and have been through more heck without giving me grief than any of my Columbia, Teva or Skecher sandals! (Keens are generally too narrow for me. Also, they tend to fall apart sooner than Columbia and Teva, at least for the mucking about in mud, dirt, salt water and creek water that DH and I do.)

I think I'm sticking with my Toms and adding in amphibious shoes on days I know we'll ride watery rides.

I do have good, high $$ running shoes too. . .but not sure I want to waste some of my shoe miles wearing those at Disney. Maybe if my bursitis acts up!

Tennis shoes for us. :thumbsup2 We each bring 2 pairs so we can switch out. I've had strollers run into the back of my heels too many times to chance sandals/flip flops. I like to keep my feet protected and supported. I never noticed that my feet were uncomfortably hot and we just got back from a week at the parks.

I trade off between sneakers and sandals. My feet are much happier that way.

Bring multiple pairs of sandals (2-3) & swap every day. It gives your feet a break & avoids blisters. Sneakers are way too hot unless you are going in the winter months.

I wear sandals. Not really good ones either. Minnetonka flip flops or Jellypop gladiator sandals. I pretty much live in them and am on my feet all day at home, so they never hurt when at WDW. You really need to consider your own comfort level. I read all these posts about blisters and cannot fathom why people would wear shoes that would give them blisters. Avoid brand new shoes unless they are a replacement for something you've been wearing.

It really depends on your feet and your comfort level. I've had issues in the past with fallen arches, plantar fasciitis, etc.

I echo everyone's suggestions to switch shoes each day, it's a lifesaver.

When I travel, I wear Teva Mush sandals (if it's warm), Teva Mush slip on sneakers (I think they are ballerina style). Those are my go tos. I've also recently discovered Sketcher's GoWalk slip on sneakers which are also really great. I recently went to Italy and tried them out--feet never hurt the whole time. (I switched them day to day with my Teva sneaks)

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter